Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What adhesive to stick front trunk seal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
Hey all,
Just wondering which adhesive ya'll use to stick your front trunk seals into the channels.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Jan 2 2006, 01:18 PM)
Just wondering which adhesive ya'll use to stick your front trunk seals into the channels.

i used a drip of silicone every other few inches. worked great so far ...

wink.gif Andy
Dr Evil
I tried Threebond 1104 (I think that it was 1104) and it stuck real good....to the channel. The rubber gasket came right off and now I am stuck with cleaning the crap out of the channel dry.gif Would this stuff not be the same as silicone?
SirAndy
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Jan 2 2006, 01:24 PM)
Would this stuff not be the same as silicone?

dunno, i just got the silicone stuff in a tube ...

also used it to bond together two seal pieces that had come apart. stuck them together, clamped them overnight, hasn't separated in 3 years now.

don't remember what it's called, transparent-ish silicon in a small tube, got it at the local flaps.
bonds very well to the rubber ...

smash.gif Andy
Dr Evil
Thanks man, I'll go a digging around to see what I can find.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Jan 2 2006, 01:32 PM)
Thanks man, I'll go a digging around to see what I can find.

it's been 3 years so i don't exactly remember what brand i used ...

sorry!
beerchug.gif Andy
r_towle
3m weather stripping adhesive.

Gotta clean the channel with alchohol.

Clear Silicone is awsome for any type of gluing...so that works too...

But, make sure everything is very clean...

Rich
Dr Evil
What your talking about Rich is what I figured Andy was referring to. After I eventually get the dang channels clean again, it should stick very nice.
Thanks fellas. biggrin.gif
dmenche914
what ever you use, be sure the glue seals the rubber completey, sot hat no water can possible get under the rubber. If you only use glue in a few spots, then water can be trapped under the rubber, and then rust can start. Other option is no glue,a nd then you have the ability to lift teh rubber out,a dn clean/dry under it as needed.

So i say either glue it like your sealing a boat up, or use no glue. just want to get water from being trapped under the rubber.

good luck
IronHillRestorations
I've got at least three customers who didn't glue the seal in the channel. This way they can pull it and clean under it. Not a bad idea, but I've always glued them very comprehensively with black 3M weatherstrip adhesive, applying glue to the channel and seal (ala rubber cementing) let them dry a little and then install the seal. ork ork

So what does a walrus and Tupperware have in common??
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (9146986 @ Jan 2 2006, 03:12 PM)

unsure.gif

sonething about blowing a seal.... biggrin.gif
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 2 2006, 02:13 PM)

unsure.gif

they both want a nice tight seal
Mark Henry
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 2 2006, 06:13 PM)

unsure.gif

They like a tight seal.

Most guys here don't glue them in.
Mark Henry
Damn...you could have waited mad.gif

laugh.gif
Dr Evil
I wish that I didn't have to glue it in, but the seal will not conform unless forced to do so. I want to rust proof the channel first anyway, so if I glue it real well it should'nt be a problem. I am of the seal it like it is sea worthy school of thinking.
ThinAir
I used some RTV to glue the ends of the the two seal pieces to each other, then let it cure and laid the whole thing into the channel without gluing it down. It seems to work well and lets me make sure the channel stays clean.
John
FWIW,

I would recommend against using any silicone on a car that may be exposed to the elements.

I have heard horror stories of people trying to restore vehicles that had windshields installed with silicone only to find that the whole windshield frame was rotted away. I have also seen where a body shop used silicone to glue a strip of rubber on only to find rust only in that spot.

I would use a product (like weatherstrip adhesive) that was meant for use on vehicles.

(BTW, none of mine are actually glued in place. I wasn't about to glue one back in after cleaning all that crap out)

Just my 0.02.
markb
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Jan 2 2006, 07:10 PM)
FWIW,

I would recommend against using any silicone on a car that may be exposed to the elements.

I have heard horror stories of people trying to restore vehicles that had windshields installed with silicone only to find that the whole windshield frame was rotted away. I have also seen where a body shop used silicone to glue a strip of rubber on only to find rust only in that spot.

I would use a product (like weatherstrip adhesive) that was meant for use on vehicles.

Just my 0.02.

Doesn't silicone attract & trap water? Not a good thing, IMHO. I've heard of using 3M in the corners.
boxstr
The reason alot of the front trunk channels are rusty is because the seals were glued in place and water, got in, collected and rust took over.
I do the following. Clean the channel out of all rust. Use a small wire brush and clean . I remove the trunk lid. Makes it much easier.
Paint the areas that are bare metal. Let paint dry. Then use a really good wax, and apply it to the channels and do it one more time.
Then install the trunk lid. Then the seal, close th elids an dlet it press the seal into place.
That way there not be any water trapped and you can remove the seal and clean the channel on a routine basis. At the same time remove and clean behind the front and rear bumpers and apply a coat of wax. Happy motoring.
CCLIN2006
brer
glued in trunk seal.

Aaron Cox
damn! mine looked exactly like that!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.