Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dash to windshield seal/getty dash install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
736conver
Just install my getty dash. I dont think I can get that seal back on the bottom the way the dash is. In fact I had to take it off to get the dash to go in.
What does this seal do. Is it just a cosmetic thing?

Aaron Cox
QUOTE (736conver @ Jan 2 2006, 02:57 PM)
Just install my getty dash. I dont think I can get that seal back on the bottom the way the dash is. In fact I had to take it off to get the dash to go in.
What does this seal do. Is it just a cosmetic thing?

keeps the vinyl from coming up i think?

736conver
I was thinking along those lines. I cant imagine what sealing purpose it would have.
SirAndy
QUOTE (736conver @ Jan 2 2006, 01:57 PM)
I dont think I can get that seal back on the bottom the way the dash is.

mhmmm, my getty dash fit under that seal without any trouble ...

idea.gif Andy
736conver
mhmmm, my getty dash fit under that seal without any trouble ...
Maybe mine was made a little wider. Does yours go all the way to the edge like mine. Also did yours have the tabs the bend over the sub dash. This was the first getty dash I have seen with the tabs.
SirAndy
QUOTE (736conver @ Jan 2 2006, 03:54 PM)
Does yours go all the way to the edge like mine.

mine is Carbon Fiber. yes, it goes all the way under the seal and the front is sort of rounded and has tabs that hit the metal sub-dash ...

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

i did cut the hoop for the old gauge cluster off, but it would actually have fit with that in place, i just knew i wasn't going to go back to a stock dash, so i cut the hoop anyways ...

beerchug.gif Andy
SirAndy
installed ...

user posted image
Aaron Cox
got enough gauges???

whats the oil tank read with a /4 av-943.gif

and 2 temp gauges biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 2 2006, 09:14 PM)
got enough gauges???
whats the oil tank read with a /4 av-943.gif
and 2 temp gauges biggrin.gif

that pic was taken the first drive after i got the car back together. i didn't have time to install all the correct/needed gauges.

by now, it looks much different. wink.gif

the oil-tank reads nothing for now, but it will as soon as the 3.6L is installed ... (planning ahead is obviously not your cup of tea! poke.gif laugh.gif )

all 911 gauges are functional (except oil level, see above), got a working clock on the right.
the center console has Amps, Volt and CHT (on Cyl. 3) ...

flipa.gif Andy
Aaron Cox
poke.gif

very cool..... very cool....

oh i planned ahead....got a 904 gauge tongue.gif
736conver
Andy,

Your dash sits alot lower then mine. Mine sits flush with the lip that the seal goes on. I see by your pictures you have plenty of clearance, clarence. Thats a roger, roger.

So is this a needed seal or cosmetic.

Anyone........Bueller...........
SirAndy
QUOTE (736conver @ Jan 2 2006, 09:44 PM)

i don't know. does the glas sit on it? if not, i don't see why it would be needed ...

i put mine in before i added the windshield, so i'm not sure if the glas actually sits on the bottom part of the seal ....
cool.gif Andy
Rand

In my worthless opinion... NO, it is NOT needed.

Unless......
The cosmetic difference matters to you.
You need concourse correctness.
And maybe another reason that someone else will post? Anyone?

smile.gif

I say do what you want. It is not structurally important.
Rockaria
I believe it's cosmetic. But I put my Getty in without removing the windshield. Slipped right into place and I used a rubber knife to gently get the seal on top.

http://lib.nmsu.edu/~clandt/914/gettydash/index.html

You might want to put it in. I think the install will look bad without a seal there.

user posted image

Cool!
736conver
I would put it on/in if it would fit. But it just doesnt. My picture above is gone now. But you can see in my new one below that my dash fits right on top of where the seal goes. I thinking the bolts that were glassed into the dash where put in the wrong spot and thats why it fits so far back.
I think my fix is painting a border on the windshield. That will still give it a nice clean look.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.