Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vinyl on dash front needs to go!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Slowpoke
That cheezey vinyl (1974) on the dash front is going in the dumpster. I'm working on getting some aluminum water jet cut, hard black anodized, lazer etched for the switches , then powdered coated in satin clear. I'm also, removing the international symbols on the switches and putting in a solid black insert in the knobs, and leaving out the fasten seat belt light. What I trying to do is get rid of goofy '70's look and make it look like an older dash. I'd like to etch something on the glove box lid. I could do the porsche crest or 914, but I'd like to do something else. I'm not really up on 914 history, but were this cars ever national champs in any of the race series, or something else worth noting that would look good etch on the lid? I'm looking for ideas here.
To have one or 10 dashes cut is about the same price. It's the programing, etc. that takes time. So, is anyone else doing this? If not I'll go ahead with it, if someone is doing it, I'll wait and buy one of yours. Thanks for any input. smile.gif
URY914
There were several early 914s which were champions.
-'70 LeMans class champ
-'71 IMSA champ
-'77 IMSA GTU champ

But I would try the factory 914 logo.

Paul
Curvie Roadlover
Be sure and post pics when you get it done. It sounds cool!
Rusty
I'd like to see some pictures of your pieces, if you're going to sketch out the ideas before you commit to the project!

-Rusty smoke.gif
boxstr
On a 914 that I had awhile ago I removed the vinyl dash insert and cut a piece of sheet carbon fiber to replace it.
At the same time I eliminated the cig. lighter,fasten seat belt and the glove box.
A friend Jim Chambers did the same thing on his 914-6 and it also looked very nice.
The carbon fiber sheet was easy to work with and would bend and not break when fitting into the dash area.
Good luck with your project and send pics.
CCLINCARBONJOEMODE
redshift
I like those ideas.

I am transforming (more like eternal mutation) a 1.7 into a sort of 356 thing, inside too.

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.