Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: articulating rear spoiler for neo914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
neo914-6
Jenny brought up a rear 933 lid from LA that I won on eBay and asked if it was for my car. Well sort of...
neo914-6
I was after the mechanism for the retractible spoiler/vent...
neo914-6
To get the maximum width of the rear panel I am removing the center lense of the tail light so it will be ~5 inches narrower. It will now have an LED brake and turn light combo.

Now if Mueller can design a hinge and use this mechanism, it will look something like this:
TravisNeff
That's cool! Good luck.
EdwardBlume
Nice concept.... will it say something underneath? Perhaps we can have a contest! beer.gif
Jeroen
yer nuts... but I like it in a weird kinda way screwy.gif
(that's a 996 engine lid BTW)
Leo Imperial
Felix that is a great idea.
If you don't mind I am going to try a variation on my car like this one: biggrin.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE (Leo Imperial @ Jan 2 2006, 06:03 PM)
Felix that is a great idea.
If you don't mind I am going to try a variation on my car like this one: biggrin.gif

Leo,

Kevlar is bulletproof... laugh.gif
alpha434
flippin nuts! thats cool. All sorts of research was done on the use of articulating rear spoilers in braking/ turning. They were too good and banned after like a year.

Step up.... Front spoilers...

First off, you don't really care about keeping the bodywork to the ground around a corner. What you want is to keep the wheels on the ground. Holding the body in turn holds the wheels there at the appropriate spring pressure. Your best hope is to keep the spring rates and the travel distance as close to normal as possible. In the old days- before even the articulated rear spoiled- there were 356s running around withl front spoilers that articulated with the movement of the wheels, and held not the body, but the wheels to the ground better. He He. They got banned pretty quick too. Good luck...
neo914-6
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Jan 2 2006, 05:54 PM)
yer nuts... but I like it in a weird kinda way  :screwy:
(that's a 996 engine lid BTW)

Thanks, it is inpired by the spoilers on the Chrysler Crossfire, Mercedes SLR (yeah I know it is a brake), "996", and Boxster. smile.gif
Jeroen
check the new TVR... it has a funky looking transparent rear spoiler/lip
URY914
The wing that started it all....
alpha434
don't let it's funny shape fool you. it's a viper killer.

ar15.gif
Stupid Vipers
TimT
Bridgehampton...................... damn I miss the place

Paul.. looks familiar?

neo914-6
Those will always be awesome cars! I was fortunate to seem them and Jim Hall at Seca this summer...
jonwatts
Kewel.

IIRC the Crossfire spoiler moves kinda quick, I like that.

The Boxster spoiler has always looked weak (stylistically) to me.

Hmm, wish I'd thought of it first wink.gif

lincoln
read an article the other day ( month) about the new fastest production vehicle- believe it was bought for VW to sell- top speed of i believe 245 or 246

anyways at 137 the rear articulated wing spoiler deploys and depending on acceleration/deceleration its angle also chenages - up to it going verticle to act as an airbrake when heavy decellerating

so whos up for trying to wedge in a w-16 motor?
lincoln
article is here- is a bugatti which is owned by VW

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Moms/story?id=14...TC-RSSFeeds0312
neo914-6
Saw the spoiler/wing on Top Gear...

The SLR has an adjustable rear wing that can be deployed manually, or which automatically rises ten degrees at 59 mph or flips up to 65 degrees in hard braking. Sadly, it also blocks the driver's view through the rearview mirror.
john rogers
It took me a while to find this, but you could go bigger like the "Porsche Kreil" that actually lifted the whole rear of the body under braking. Here is a link to a picture:

http://www.virhistory.com/vir/press/full02.htm

mrdezyne
Really diggin the idea. Maybe use something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Linear-Actuator-12...1QQcmdZViewItem

This one is slow but I found others that might work better....
seanery
user posted image

Imagine following this guy down a long straight thinking about setting up your pass and allofasudden the damn body lifts up 25" or so ohmy.gif laugh.gif
SLITS
Ahhh...you guys and your articulated wings.....I'll take two snomobile engines and an articulated curtain.......................Jim Hall is laughing with mighty gusto. lol2.gif
crash914
heh, heh....airbrake..... aktion035.gif
neo914-6
icon_bump.gif for Mike. I need it yesterday! laugh.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Jan 6 2006, 11:58 AM)
icon_bump.gif for Mike. I need it yesterday! laugh.gif

yep saw it....the oatmeal between my ears is already churning screwy.gif smash.gif welder.gif
neo914-6
Finally got the nerve to cut a good lense. I cut beyond the original parting line and sanded up to it. Here it is mocked up.
neo914-6
I found an stop/turn combo LED perfect for my application... biggrin.gif

The 2.5 INCH DIAMETER  LED TAILLIGHT BOARD is filled with dozens of super bright, high intensity LED’s and coated with an epoxy for long lasting protection against the environment.

RUNNING LIGHTS... Center RED LED’s are on at normal intensity.

STROBING BRAKE LIGHTS... Center RED LED’s strobe for 2 seconds and remain on at high intensity as long as brakes are applied to assure visibility and safety.

YELLOW TURN SIGNALS... (Outer most ring) are YELLOW and each half of the ring can be wired seperately for the left and right turn signal.
neo914-6
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Jan 2 2006, 06:27 PM)
check the new TVR... it has a funky looking transparent rear spoiler/lip

nice, I would have made it retract wink.gif ...their whole model lineup has vastly improved. clap.gif
VegasRacer
I can't wait to see the finished product Felix. biggrin.gif It's gonna be sooo coooool.
I'm even more excited that it's debut will be where I can see it.
neo914-6
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Jan 10 2006, 04:07 AM)
I can't wait to see the finished product Felix. biggrin.gif It's gonna be sooo coooool.
I'm even more excited that it's debut will be where I can see it.

To insure that deadline I'm shooting for July's WCC06 completion. The only thing that could blow it is a pending real estate "acquisition" that I'm working on...

Marty said SEMA cars don't necessarily have to "run" but I'm so tired of my 914's not running . laugh.gif
Maltese Falcon
Felix, while we are on tropic of SEMA, when you get a moment send me one of your color renderings of the 914. I will need to submit this (soon)with our entry for the '06 show. We will also need you to provide an easle/ sign that goes next to the car with major sponsors to the project. For anyone interested in seeing Felix's car in Vegas, it will proll'y be displayed in the outside "Midway". This is open to the public, 8:30am to 5:00 pm. Since this is an industry trade show, you will need to get passes (see SEMA.org) in advance, in order to enter the show buildings.
Good planning is essential.
Marty
mrdezyne
This is not a hijack, but SEMA is the bomb diggity!!!!!

Me and a shiny example of SEMA hospitality, circa 2004.....
neo914-6
QUOTE (Maltese Falcon @ Jan 11 2006, 08:27 AM)
Felix, while we are on tropic of SEMA, when you get a moment send me one of your color renderings of the 914. I will need to submit this (soon)with our entry for the '06 show. We will also need you to provide an easle/ sign that goes next to the car with major sponsors to the project. For anyone interested in seeing Felix's car in Vegas, it will proll'y be displayed in the outside "Midway". This is open to the public, 8:30am to 5:00 pm. Since this is an industry trade show, you will need to get passes (see SEMA.org) in advance, in order to enter the show buildings.
Good planning is essential.
Marty

Marty,

I can email what I have or work on a more "slick" version. Let me know if any of the drawings I've posted on the concept page will suffice.

What are the guidelines for signage? I may ask graphics savvy club members for help...

Thanks again for doing this! smilie_pokal.gif
jonwatts
QUOTE (john rogers @ Jan 4 2006, 01:27 PM)
the "Porsche Kreil" that actually lifted the whole rear of the body under braking

Hmm, carbon fiber rear deck lid becomes carbon fiber rear spoiler idea.gif

To insure that deadline I'm shooting for July's WCC06 completion.

Same here. To help I'm planning to build the car by version. Version 1 is scheduled to be nearly everything I have planned except for that last 10% that can take so much time to get just right. I'm trying to put off anything I can do at a later date (without having to to another complete teardown) in order to save time and money. Some of the things will be functional (like heat) and others will be more visible.

But I'm not brave like Felix to put it out here on the forum for everyone to pick over and critique cool.gif

neo914-6
QUOTE (mrdezyne @ Jan 11 2006, 10:27 AM)
This is not a hijack, but SEMA is the bomb diggity!!!!!

Me and a shiny example of SEMA hospitality, circa 2004.....

I like your ID "mrdezyne" wink.gif
I was there that year but not brave enough to warm up to the girlie. biggrin.gif I liked the "Rides" show on the design of this car...
dlo914
hmm since you cut out the reverse light from the lense housing, are you gonna incorporate a new location/light? and might i add i truely admire your artistic skills. smiley_notworthy.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE (dlo914 @ Jan 14 2006, 12:53 AM)
hmm since you cut out the reverse light from the lense housing, are you gonna incorporate a new location/light?

Daniel,

I cut the center lense, not the reverse section. I wanted a finished edge and seal to housing. It may be tint painted to match the red color with a circle masked for a white back up light.
dlo914
o i c... wink.gif
Maltese Falcon
Felix, PM sent ...
Marty
neo914-6
I tested the LED light and they are fantastic! I'm really glad I found these plug and play, they eliminate alot of work. Well actually I still need to mount them. If I epoxy them in I won't be able to use the existing mount screw since the disc covers it. I "may" epoxy it to a metal bulb cap so I can mount it like a standard bulb. I like the left and right signal feature but will probably combine them for one ring. The flashing stop for a few seconds is a great modern feature!
nocones
Felix,

Found this over the weekend and thought it might be useful for the articulating spoiler part of the neo914 project.

http://motoriced.com/

Several designs available, maybe just the motor portion?

Hope it helps.

beerchug.gif
neo914-6
My automated spoiler finally arrived from the fabricator, David of Wild West Kustoms. It came out just as I designed last January smilie_pokal.gif

Special thanks to Joe Sharp and TonyAKAVW for providing David with something to work with. clap56.gif

Enjoy!

Back to the madman's workshop... smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif blowtorch.gif
jd74914
felix . . . its not working
McMark
No worky for me either. sad.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 17 2006, 10:11 PM) *

No worky for me either. sad.gif

Worked for me, so there !!!!!

biggrin.gif

slight hijack, Mark, Andys spacers are done, want to pick them up sometime this week??

Felix, I have not touched your pedal assembly, hopefully Thrusday evening.

Lou W
Worky for me, very cool clap56.gif
sixnotfour
Worky for me, very cool

Worky for me, very cool
Jeroen
very cool!
awesome job by the fab guy, not something you just slap together...

ps. the link works in MSIE, in Firefox/Mozilla it won't
jonwatts
But when it goes down won't it pop the trunk wink.gif

Very cool.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.