Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can you install control flaps in engine tin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
hi all

i've got a crusty engine tin that probably needs sorting through, but i live in an apartment near campus (i.e. no garage), and dropping my engine isn't really a great option (i lack dolly's, enough floor jacks, and the gf probably wouldn't appreciate an engine on the kitchen floor).

I think that my control flaps are stuck in the open position, as it does take a bit of time for her to warm up, but also, she does seem to run a little on the warm side. oil temps hang out around 210-215 for a while, but will eventually climb up to ~225 (maybe a little more -- up towards the red) if i drive long enough -- particularly in traffic. i found that the PO had disconnected the thermostat, and the control arm that connects the two flaps won't budge.

Cylinder head temps are unknown.

so i want to crack open the tin and try to get it all working as stock. what do people say -- is this possible w/ out dropping the engine?

thanks, nathan
Slowpoke
Yes. If it has carbs, I just did this to remove all the tin on one of my parts cars. With FI, check with someone else, mine don't have FI
Peter
nebreitling
i'm a d-jetter. don't mind taking that all off, though. doesn't take long
SirAndy
i'd say take the tin off and check for the flaps.
make sure they're WIDE open (air on the cylinders and oil-cooler)
then glue them down and forget about the thermostat.

your car will need all the cooling it can get, even in the "winter" here in CA.

just make sure the flap on the pass. side is down so the oil cooler get's air.
that's probably what the PO did. it is somewhat common around here.

later,
Andy
nebreitling
"make sure they're WIDE open ...

just make sure the flap on the pass. side is down so the oil cooler get's air..."

andy, are you saying that the left (driver's side) flap should be open and the right flap closed? or both open? thanks, n
MarkV
The flaps need to operate as designed. Wide open flaps & the engine takes forever to get to temperature. A cold engine means premature wear. My car runs way better now that it has a thermostat & working flaps.
SirAndy
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Aug 25 2003, 03:41 PM)
andy, are you saying that the left (driver's side) flap should be open and the right flap closed? or both open? thanks, n

it is open when it's down, meaning the air goes to the oil cooler.
otherwise, NO air to the oil-cooler at all ...

Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(MarkV @ Aug 25 2003, 03:55 PM)
The flaps need to operate as designed. Wide open flaps & the engine takes forever to get to temperature. A cold engine means premature wear. My car runs way better now that it has a thermostat & working flaps.

i have my flaps glued down in WIDE OPEN and i have no problems to get my engine warmed up around here. unless you drive only a mile to/back work daily you'll be fine. a lot of short distance with too much cooling will be bad for your engine. if you drive enough for it to get warmed up, you'll be fine ...

Andy
Drums66
I agree and use Andy's Idea, has worked for me with no adverse effects for 10 years or so. If I lived in a colder climate I probably would use the stock method, but here in southern Cali works fine! boldblue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.