Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Zach's car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John Kelly
Hi Folks,

Here is a picture of Zach's car after some more work. Since Jamie's event we added a little more shape to the flares. Since John Walker's and the flare party at Dave's, I cut the rear fender braces and pulled out the lower rear part of the quarter panels. Made a big difference in the overall appearance of the car. Next we will stretch the fronts out about another 1/2" and add some shape to the upper portions of the rear flares. May also make the edge detail more shallow at the fronts and rears of the flares to match the top of the wheel openings. Not sure if we'll cut the front fender braces and pull them out a little too. It really helps to have taken the car out several times to look at it and make design decisions. More later.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
cgnj
John,

Youre killing me. How long before a video?

Carlos
URY914
Are you going to pull the rocker panel out at the rear to meet the bottom of the Q-panel?

Looks great BTW.

Make a mold for me and I'll make some out of f-glass.
(You must hate f/g)

Paul
Jeffs9146
What are you planning on doing for the side driving lights?

Jeff
John Kelly
Hi Carlos, Zach and I are still shooting video. I'm trying to pack as much into it as I can, including design decisions, the use of different tool packages, how to raise tiny low areas and metal-finishing. Once the shooting is done, Zach will start editting. Of course all this taking longer than I thought, but the more I can put in it the better. It would have been quicker to just do one fender complete with a mirror finish, but the process of doing the whole car, and showing the decisions along the way will be more useful I'm thinkin'.

Hi Paul, The area in front of the rear wheel is wider than the lower rear part of the body already. Pulling that area out would create problems with the flow into the door, and would require modifying the rocker. Although this could be done, we won't be doing it on this car. If we were going wider than 8" wheels, it might be necessary. The lower rear area was easy to pull out a little without affecting anything else much. A better way to "pull" out the front would be to stretch the metal in front of the rear wheel to create a reverse curve into the door area, making for a more pleasing line than a pulled fender. You are right, I don't much care for fiberglass on a steel car.

Jeff, Zach is going to weld the side marker light holes up for a smoother look.

Thanks for the feedback, John www.ghiaspecialties.com
redshift
Nice looking my friend, you really have a way with helping the shape.. it's like the GT should have been, much more graceful.

If you are doing what I think you are saying you are, lowering the car would almost form-fit the flares over the tires?

I wish you owed me one...

smile.gif

M
rhodyguy
john, did watching us "monkeys" hammer away give you some insight? ie techniques for the the novice. how much + did you put on the rears. zach is going to have to spring for a paint job. pretty soon would be my guess.

kevin
"test mule monkey"
John Kelly
Hi M, Thanks! Yes I'm trying to talk Zach into lowering the car a little, but he is reluctant to do it. Flares always look better (my opinion) on a lowered car.

Kevin, I've only added a tiny bit more shape to the upper areas to make the flare look less droopy. Minor changes make big differences at this stage. The main thing I learned while working on Dave's car is how willing everyone was to hammer away. That's most of the battle right there. I also solidified some of my concepts by looking through the eyes of others in such a way as to make the process as user friendly as possible. It help a lot to see guys using the techniques, and getting it so quickly. Not sure when Zach will be able to paint the car. He has a lot on his plate right now. Did you see Dave's avatar?

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
redshift
New thread.

smile.gif

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.