Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally got it home
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ventilator01
I picked up my 914 this morning drove it for the first time, seems to run good (I bought it as is and had to have a head replaced) the brake light keeps flashing, but the brakes are working fine. Is it unusual to hear the linkage when changing gears, not grinding or anything like that, I can just hear the linkage move.
thx
steve
bd1308
I think the 914 is so cool....

I cant wait until mine is fixed.

b
r_towle
you need to bleed the brakes many times on a 914.
Get a haynes manual so you get the sequence right...besides you will need the manual.

RR, LR, RF, LF

A about 5 or 6 times will do it.

Then you need to reset the master cylinder if you have a newer one...there is a switch on the master.

Rich
ventilator01
I was messing around with the parking brake lever and it seems to have fixed the problem, gonna take it back out this afternoon and see if it comes back on. I did buy the haynes book, -- it does not show how to take door panels off, my drivers door only opens from outside, and passegers door only opens from inside..
SirAndy
QUOTE (ventilator01 @ Jan 3 2006, 07:35 AM)
Is it unusual to hear the linkage when changing gears, not grinding or anything like that,  I can just hear the linkage move.

sounds like it's hitting something. check the plastic bushing at the rear firewall where the linkage goes through. if it's missing or worn, your linkage will wobble and may hit the clutch tube.

if the bushing is tight, unbolt the shifter from the center tunnel, turn it sideways and reach in there and try to move the clutch tube by hand (it's on the drivers side of the center tunnel).
if you can move it, it has come lose (very common) and your shiftlinkage will rub on it ...
in that case, the clutch tube needs to be re-welded ...

as for the blinking brake light, either your handbrake lever is not all the way down (not hitting the contact) or someone bled the brakes and did not reset the master cylinder.
there's a switch on the master cylinder that needs to be pressed (reset) after bleeding the brakes ...

beerchug.gif Andy
MrKona
To take off the door panels, simply remove the arm rests, plastic peice around the door handle, window crank, and any other hardware that might be on the inside door (speakers if added). They all should screw off.

Then carefully pry the panel off around the perimeter of the door. It snaps on with plastic peices mounted on the inside panel that lock into holes in the door. If you're not careful, you'll end up cracking the 30 year old cardboard panel. Once all the door panel is free, lift the panel straight up and away from the door.

I had one of the problems that you do. My door would only open from the inside. It's pretty common to have a broken cam on the outer door handle mechanism. Pelicanparts.com sells the peice, and also has instructions on how to replace it in their tech section.

- Bryan

ventilator01
mueba.gif Yep it was the parking brake not hitting the switch down at the floor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.