Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Brake fluid to buy ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DougC
OK, I'll be needing to bleed my brakes (at the very least) on the 914/6.. I just started driving it to work today and the fluid that's in it is probably 3 years old (last time the car was run/ PO) . So I'm looking for recommendations on Brake Fluid for this street car. The front setup is 911 if that makes any difference. I know redline is excellent but are there any brands that will be just as good for the street that I don't have to order and pay double for, that I can pick up from FLAPS? I need DOT 4 right?

Doug C
kdfoust
Castrol LMA. Available at almost any FLAPs or McAuto. More than adequate for street.
WRX914
I race 125cc shifter karts. We used to use Redline lubicants... My expierance with Redline is not very good. Everytime we used thier lubricants, we did severe damage... Piston failure at the very best, mostly we would grenade the crank!!!

Furthermore, I used Redline synthetic ATF in my diesel and that product failed in less than 30K. If it were my vehicle, there is no way I would use Redline....

Good luck!

Keith
VegasRacer
Super Blue
Motul
Valvoline
Cap'n Krusty
Castrol LMA, and plain ol' Ate Dot 4 are the favorites in our shop. The Cap'n
vesnyder
I've always used Super Blue!
WRX914
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Jan 3 2006, 09:32 AM)
Super Blue
Motul
Valvoline

All three of these are excellent lubricants...

I would not hesitate to use any, but me especially likey the Motul and Super Blue.
DougC
Ooops, when I wrote 'Redline' I was thinking 'SuperBlue' ... but I don't think any of the local auto parts stores have it and it's quite a bit more if I remember right. Well, I guess I'll probably pick up a bottle of Castrols LMA unless I see the Blue stuff, I know it makes the bleed a little easier.

Doug C
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 3 2006, 09:35 AM)
Castrol LMA, and plain ol' Ate Dot 4 are the favorites in our shop. The Cap'n

agree.gif

LMA is good by me. Ate gold or blue is good too. The reason for blue and gold colored brake fluid is so you can alternate colors and know when you've got new fluid through the system.
pfierb
Switched to Ate Blue after brake pedal fade at Lime Rock in my 944 Turbo and never had any problems after that ......use it in all three cars now, about $13.00 a can.
TROJANMAN
ATE BLUE wink.gif
jhadler
ATE Super Blue.

I've found when flushing the brakes (not just bleeding), that switching to Motul for one cylce was the best way to ensure a fully flushed brake system. The Ate is blue, the Motul is yellow. You can tell the old fluid is fully flushed when it's no longer green in color coming out of the bleeder.

-Josh2
TimT
Ate Blue isnt really as great as its made out to be.. It is good brake fluid, but its really a fancy street fluid..

One of the best bang for the bucks brake fluids is the Valvoline Synthetic fluid.. has better specs than Ate Blue, and is less expensive.

Any of the mentioned fluids will be fine.. if especially if you give your brakes the attention they deserve..

The only fluid we have found that helps in the 935 we have is that $69/gt Castrol SRF.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.