Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fiberglass Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
joea9146
I have some Rear Fiberglass Flares that are little lighter that I would like then to be.

I do not have a lot of FG experience but would like to apply some FG cloth to the back side of the fenders
to thicken them up. I noticed that the cloth comes in different Weights and Weves.

I think I need a fine weave but not sure of the Weight ?

Also do I wet the cloth in the resin and than apply, or do I lay out the cloth and pour / Brush the resin over the cloth.

Also what type of resin do I use ?

Thanks

URY914
You're going to get several experts reply to this but I would use a f/g mat, 3/4 oz. weight. Any of the lightweight cloths will take forever (many layers) to build up some strength.

You have to rough up the existing surface to give the new resin something to bond to. So take a sander with 60 grit paper and rough it up good.

I mix my resin and brush on a nice thick coat on the piece and than lay the dry mat mat'l on the resin. Less messy this way. Than take a roller and work the mat into the resin until it is soaked in. Add more resin, add more mat, etc, etc, etc,

Since your not bonding pieces together, I would use some simple (cheap) polyester resin.

Paul
URY914
Also fine weaves are used for a piece that has a lot of tight inside or outside corners because is is very flexible and will "bend" well around corners. But your working on a simple form so I would use a woven mat type material.
East coaster
To simply add a little beef to your existing parts, I'd echo Paul's statement above. It think you'll find it the easiest approach. I guess I'd be careful with how much material you add to the mounting area ao as not to build up too much and have a giant gap to fill.

Have fun!! (we need an "itchy" smiley)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.