Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A 236 HP 2.0six???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MoveQik
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-2-0...027286619QQrdZ1

I guess a shiny airfilter creates a lot of power confused24.gif
jd74914
laugh.gif its possible, the price would be a little higher IMHO if it was really 236HP, and I think we'd be seeing twin plug stuff wink.gif
r_towle
I would say yes its possible...

But it would have very high CR and probably only good for one season at best.
TimT
A 236 HP 2.0six???, Is that possible??

Close if thats a 901/20, 901/21, or 901/25 0r a 911/XX series race engine.

But I dont think that engine makes anywhere near that power.

No tall Intakes
No twin plugs
No light flywheel.
Has provisions for heat, The 906 variants didnt have shrouds that allowed for heat

I bet that its a tired 110hp T engine with a chrome aircleaner. The bidders have already bid it up to the max and engine like this might be worth

If you are the high bidder you may want to withdraw your bid wink.gif
Aaron Cox
im pretty sure john roger's 906 cammed 2L is 220 hp at the crank
davep
My friend claims about the 236 HP for his 906 based engine with about 2.4 liter displacement. Therefore I doubt that the same is easily doable with a 2.0 liter engine. I'd guess 136 HP is high for that engine. Fellow can't even find the engine #, but tells us the case is a 5R instead.
r_towle
QUOTE (TimT @ Jan 3 2006, 07:32 PM)
A 236 HP 2.0six???, Is that possible??

Close if thats a 901/20, 901/21, or 901/25 0r a 911/XX series race engine.

But I dont think that engine makes anywhere near that power.

No tall Intakes
No twin plugs
No light flywheel.
Has provisions for heat, The 906 variants didnt have shrouds that allowed for heat

I bet that its a tired 110hp T engine with a chrome aircleaner. The bidders have already bid it up to the max and engine like this might be worth

so your saying that I could find a 2.0 liter six for 1500 or less??

Rich
MoveQik
QUOTE (TimT @ Jan 3 2006, 04:32 PM)

It ain't me! My plan doesn't involve a 2.0 ph34r.gif
TimT
Yes 220 is possible, My 2.2 Is 200 with EFI and modern tricks..

All you need to know to find out about that engine is the number stamped by the fan support.. I bet its 901/03, 901/338-39..

TimT

Yes, however I forgot to adjust for the Webers.. which are worth a bit on there own.

Last year I sold a friend of mine a 2.0/6 almost everything sans Webers for $500.. I was happy to get $500 for the dust collecting object, he was happy to get it. The 2.0 T is not a really desirable engine.. really small ports, poor combustion chamber.

The cast crank is actually desirable in some circles..wink.gif
ArtechnikA
Porsche managed 220 @ 8.000 in 906 trim with slidethrottle MFI or Weber 46's at 10,3:1 compression and twin ignition.

236 is a BIG stretch for a single ignition engine with 40mm Webers.
interestingly, it does have a MFI left cam tho...

it is *not* an original 914.6 engine, not with that 9011061015R case - and that number is just a 2,2 case casting number - *not* an engine serial number.

i think it's probably a 2,2 or more likely 2,3 for which 230+ HP is doable.
ArtechnikA
OK - probably mis-spoke...

the 9011061015R is the FAN SHROUD casting number...

i saw the '5R' and jumped to the wrong conclusion...

i have no idea what kind of case it is.
but i *do* know that ain't the engine serial number :-)
r_towle
QUOTE (TimT @ Jan 3 2006, 07:44 PM)

Yes, however I forgot to adjust for the Webers.. which are worth a bit on there own.

Last year I sold a friend of mine a 2.0/6 almost everything sans Webers for $500.. I was happy to get $500 for the dust collecting object, he was happy to get it. The 2.0 T is not a really desirable engine.. really small ports, poor combustion chamber.

The cast crank is actually desirable in some circles..wink.gif

so Tim..buddy, pal...

How about just some heads...

two complete sets for a 2.0 liter ...cams and all...

what are those worth?
I am experimenting...so cheap is good...my ideas may never work...

Rich
Trekkor
This looks like an even better deal than I got.

Instant SIX conversion boldblue.gif

If the engine runs, it is the deal of a lifetime.

KT
MoveQik
QUOTE (trekkor @ Jan 3 2006, 06:26 PM)
This looks like an even better deal than I got.

Instant SIX conversion boldblue.gif

If the engine runs, it is the deal of a lifetime.

KT

Funny you should say that. When I saw it I thought it looked like a "Trekkor" deal smilie_pokal.gif
Allan
QUOTE (r_towle @ Jan 3 2006, 04:22 PM)
I would say yes its possible...

But it would have very high CR and probably only good for one season at best.

Very high and only 1 season IMHO....
TimT

I think I may have a set of 2.0 T heads left.. Ill check.. I usually adjust price in relation to the amount of dust that has collected on them laugh.gif

gimme a few days

brant
I actually think that 236 is possible.
I'm not saying that this motor pictured is capable....just saying is all.

In the 2.0/6 vintage circle there are a few motors putting out power like that without twin plug. I know of one that supposedly wheel dyno'd at 205 with single plug.
I think this was at 5,000ft of elavation. so I'm guessing its over 236 at the crank.

ain't cheap though
and can spin past 8K if needed. (9K I believe I was told)
not really an endurance motor either.
brant
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (brant @ Jan 3 2006, 07:01 PM)
In the 2.0/6 vintage circle there are a few motors putting out power like that without twin plug.

Yup! The "2.0 challenge" has some guys that are making positively insane amounts of power out of whatever the displacement cap is for that class. (I'm guessing it's 1991cc, the stock 2.0 Six displacement, but that's a guess.) Their motors are not built for durability, and they are evidently only available to the "cost-no-object open-checkbook" crowd.

That amount of power is definitely possible from a 2.0-size 911 engine, at least for one race at a time. Is it likely to be from this engine? I don't know--from reading the above comments, it doesn't sound like it is...

--DD
johnmhudson111
Might not be a bad deal when you figure in the cost of the oil tank and the webers. If I had the money (if I had any money :-)) I might look seriously at it. Not to mention that you should have an aluminum case to build on idea.gif
dion9146
QUOTE (r_towle @ Jan 3 2006, 06:25 PM)
[QUOTE=TimT,Jan 3 2006, 07:44 PM]
so Tim..buddy, pal...

two complete sets for a 2.0 liter ...cams and all...

what are those worth?
I am experimenting...so cheap is good...my ideas may never work...

Rich

I have a complete set of 1969 T heads and cams as well if anyone needs them.

The thing to keep in mind with this guys motor is he says its 'rated' at 236. Hell, I'll rate my 2.0 at 280 if that's all it takes. Plus, based on this guys feedback and other auctions, I wouldn't consider him a Porsche expert...

A while back I saw Feddy Baker's vintage 914-6 2.0 being assembled and I thought the power output was above 220. However, it's been a while and I can't remember if it was twin plugged or not. confused24.gif

Dion
alpha434
My 911 guy says that twin plugs are only good for like 15 horses once you get past the 200 mark
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Jan 3 2006, 09:26 PM)
My 911 guy says that twin plugs are only good for like 15 horses once you get past the 200 mark

isnt the point of twinplug to beable to run ONE More point of compression on same octane fuel.......

btw - who are you?
Allan
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 3 2006, 08:27 PM)
btw - who are you?

huh.gif
john rogers
My 2L engine has 185 HP at the rear wheels when it was being jetted on the dyno last year. The power was dropped back some for a tad more life.
brant
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 3 2006, 09:27 PM)

isnt the point of twinplug to beable to run ONE More point of compression on same octane fuel.......

doesn't really compute that directly.
here is the problem the way I understand it.

when you get that much compression (above 11-1, 12-1, or even 13-1)
your in "big time intereference" territory.
When you crank up the compression, you have to lower the cams amount of lift to keep from creating big "sparks" at higher rpm.

so dual plugs don't gaurantee you another point of compression. Your limited by something else (lift, heads, valves)

I know of a builder that built 3 vintage 2.0L motors all at the same time. One was a twin plug and the other 2 were single plugs. The single plugs were pumping out within 8-10hp of the twin's output on a dyno. The twin plug went for a period correct set up with big 46mm carbs and higher rpm. The single plugs were running 40mm carbs (to be legal) but got a lot more torque in the real world. The builder believes more strongly in the lift side of the trade off (versus the compression side of the trade off)

motors were very similar!!!!

the single plugs run in a 911 vintage car (67S)
the twin plug runs in a 914 vintage car (M471)
both are excellent drivers!
both run the same times, give or take a 10th!

brant

brant
QUOTE (john rogers @ Jan 3 2006, 09:33 PM)
My 2L engine has 185 HP at the rear wheels when it was being jetted on the dyno last year. The power was dropped back some for a tad more life.

John,

what altitude was that at?
what parasitic loss equation do you figure? (15%?)

so probably around 210 at the crank?.... Nice Job!
brant
hey....
doesn't that flywheel look "windowed"

maybe it really is a race motor?

brant
Trekkor
I need a *secret* money pile smilie_pokal.gif

KT
dion9146
If it's a race motor, why does it still have the heating ducts instead of block off plates?

I do agree that the price for just the flywheel, aluminum case, and webers adds up to $1500 easily.

236 hp or not, if it can be gotten for the right price, it's probably not too bad as long as you are prepared to go through it as the seller suggests.

Dion
maxwelj
No guarantee that it is an aluminum case (or did I miss something).... but it does have the original 6 mounts and tin....
JmuRiz
agree.gif
Highest I've seen in person is 220Hp from a 2.0...and that had all the trick parts, like 906 manifolds, custom work and wild cam etc. Would backfire out the builder's exhaust fan on his building if he had the fan running before he had it idling biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
$1500 currently, comes with what looks like stock 914-6 tin, oil cooler, oil tank, pod engine mount. If it runs and is even a 110hp engine, $1500 is a great deal all the way up to probably $2k for all that stuff included. Talk about bolt in and go! driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.