Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My car just lost 6 more pounds
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
I bought a new mini-starter. laugh.gif

I can hear you now, "Not another mini-starter thread,mad.gif"

But this tread is different. I always hear you guys saying that you can't find the top bolt that holds the starter to the flywheel housing. Well I sure didn't have that problem. Here is a picture showing the top bolt.

URY914
I changed this thing out in five minutes. It would have been faster but my daughter helped me.

URY914
Of course I have to post the side by side shot. rolleyes.gif

r_towle
i figured you just took the traditional post holiday crap...

that is good for at least six pounds...

Why dont you get a starter that you plug in from outside the car...why carry all that weight...you only use it to start the car....like the formula 1 guys...

Rich
TROJANMAN
paul,
don't you have anything better to do than make your car lighter? lol2.gif
URY914
QUOTE (r_towle @ Jan 3 2006, 06:32 PM)
Why dont you get a starter that you plug in from outside the car...why carry all that weight...you only use it to start the car....like the formula 1 guys...

Rich

I would but I don't have a "crew". My ten year old daughter won't come close to it when it is running much less hold a starter while I'm cranking it. laugh.gif

Maybe when she gets older...

Paul biggrin.gif
URY914
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Jan 3 2006, 06:40 PM)
paul,
don't you have anything better to do than make your car lighter? lol2.gif

My wife will tell you I have a lot of other things to do. sad.gif

But not many are this fun.

Paul
Allan
Paul,

I would be happier than shit if you could just tell us your car is running. wink.gif

Not to sure about how light it is... confused24.gif
URY914
QUOTE (Headrage @ Jan 3 2006, 06:46 PM)
Paul,

I would be happier than shit if you could just tell us your car is running. wink.gif

Not to sure about how light it is... confused24.gif

You should be happy as shit to know that it IS running.

And running STRONG, btw.

I've driven two AX with the new engine in it.
MoveQik
Alright Paul...I went to your blog to check out what you have been up to when I stumbled across the picture of your car from 1982. That was a clean looking car! Now I'm sure you have a gas racing that thing and I am sure that it is a hoot to drive. But why did you have to cut up such a clean car? screwy.gif

Please tell me it was a rust bucket underneath all that shiny paint!! poke.gif biggrin.gif
URY914
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Jan 3 2006, 07:06 PM)
Please tell me it was a rust bucket underneath all that shiny paint!! poke.gif biggrin.gif

1982 was a L-O-N-G time ago and yes it was very clean. But in about 1989 I went to go jack it up one day on the left rear donut and the jack went up but the car stayed on the ground. I had a badly rusted battery and left long. I also had rust under the seats. The car had never been parked in a garage for 10 years and the Florida rains got to it.

I keep screwing with it and slowly turned into a ax/track car, now an AX only car.

What a long strange trip it has been...

P
smg914
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jan 3 2006, 06:43 PM)
[/QUOTE]
My wife will tell you I have a lot of other things to do. sad.gif

But not many are this fun.

Paul

I know what you mean Paul; I've been painting my house for the last 3 years. I can't believe my wife has let me get away with taking so long. For some reason playing my guitars, playing tennis and fooling around with my Porsches (and driving Ford GT's) always takes precedence.
brant
Nice!!!!

its Ironic, but I was planning out my winter mods and decided that I could get 6-7 more lbs from the car if I made aluminum rockers, and drilled the front hood!
(about 20hours labour, and another paint job bill)

brant
TROJANMAN
or YOU could go on a diet....... beer.gif
brant
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Jan 3 2006, 11:08 PM)
or YOU could go on a diet....... beer.gif

I need to go on a diet! (more than you know!)

but then I couldn't sit around here bsing and drinkign whisky and cokes, now could I!
jonwatts
Is that one of the ebay mini starters?

URY914
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Jan 4 2006, 12:17 AM)

Jon,

Yes its a ebay starter. I ordered it on 12/23 and it got here yesterday.

Paul
VaccaRabite
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jan 4 2006, 08:20 AM)
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Jan 4 2006, 12:17 AM)

Jon,

Yes its a ebay starter. I ordered it on 12/23 and it got here yesterday.

Paul

Wow, I ordered mine on 12/20 and it got to me the 27th. I guess the various postal services are still playing catch up to some degree.

Mine will also be an easy install. The motor is out of the car. smile.gif

Zach
balljoint
smilie_pokal.gif

You're driving a cut-away diagram. That's awesome.
Root_Werks
Before each X-cross, make sure to take a HUGE dump stromberg.gif , gotta also be good for a couple of lbs. biggrin.gif
URY914
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Jan 4 2006, 08:50 AM)
Before each X-cross, make sure to take a HUGE dump stromberg.gif , gotta also be good for a couple of lbs. biggrin.gif

I also wear short sleeve shirts, short pants, no socks and no underwear.

And take my watch off. biggrin.gif

Paul
john rogers
What kind of battery are you using? When I had my old Harley, it had a magneto and no battery, but to provide some power for lights and stuff there was a large capacitor at the output terminal of the generator. I would guess that would work here too, with a jump cable connection to hook the battery up and start and the capacitor to hold voltage up for the ignition??!!
Root_Werks
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jan 4 2006, 09:09 AM)
and no underwear.

Paul

THAT, I could have gone without knowing. icon8.gif av-943.gif
Cap'n Krusty
There goes the originality ................... The Cap'n
URY914
QUOTE (john rogers @ Jan 4 2006, 09:14 AM)
What kind of battery are you using? When I had my old Harley, it had a magneto and no battery, but to provide some power for lights and stuff there was a large capacitor at the output terminal of the generator. I would guess that would work here too, with a jump cable connection to hook the battery up and start and the capacitor to hold voltage up for the ignition??!!

I'm using a little lawn mower battery. Bigger than a m/c battery.
URY914
I thought about going to remote battery terminals and using a booster battery to start it, but if I spin and stall it out I would be able to restart it.

MattR
If you want to shed a few more pounds, hook up a large cordless drill on a shaft thats removed after the engine starts like an F1 car. You could get a cart and everything... that would be badass.
carr914
Paul I don't blame your daughter from not getting near it while it's running. I still remember the 6 ft flame coming outa that thing. It's a good thing she wasn't there.

T.C.
Randal
Paul,

Which starter on e-bay did you use?

Thanks,

Randal

URY914
AutoTech Engineering Co.
The box doesn't say were it is actually made, but I would say it is a import model.
dmenche914
Mine losses six lbs or more every time I scrape more rust off of it! Top that.
URY914
QUOTE (dmenche914 @ Jan 4 2006, 07:26 PM)
Mine losses six lbs or more every time I scrape more rust off of it! Top that.

Wait a minute, I thought all Caly cars were rust free.

Wat's up wit tat confused24.gif
airsix
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jan 4 2006, 09:54 AM)
I thought about going to remote battery terminals and using a booster battery to start it, but if I spin and stall it out I would be able to restart it.

I think you should use a Coffman* (cartridge) starter like on a Napier Sabre (a WWII 2,400hp radial). The Napier used a cartridge that was about twice the size of a 12ga. shotgun shell and it developed a momentary 25hp, which was enough to spin that ~2,200 cubic inch 24cyl radial. You ought to be able to spin a TypeIV-sized Coffman starter with a .22 blank. laugh.gif

-Ben M.

*A Coffman starter uses a blank cartridge similar to a shotgun shell (but not the same - Coffman shells were much larger). When discharged, the shell's expanding gas spins a small turbine connected to a planetary-gear starter.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (airsix @ Jan 4 2006, 11:03 PM)

I think you should use a Coffman* (cartridge) starter like on a Napier Sabre (a WWII 2,400hp radial). The Napier used a cartridge that was about twice the size of a 12ga. shotgun shell and it developed a momentary 25hp, which was enough to spin that ~2,200 cubic inch 24cyl radial. You ought to be able to spin a TypeIV-sized Coffman starter with a .22 blank. laugh.gif

-Ben M.

*A Coffman starter uses a blank cartridge similar to a shotgun shell (but not the same - Coffman shells were much larger). When discharged, the shell's expanding gas spins a small turbine connected to a planetary-gear starter.

as seen on the horrendously bad kevin costner moviw "flight of the phoenix"
MattR
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 4 2006, 10:04 PM)
QUOTE (airsix @ Jan 4 2006, 11:03 PM)

-Ben M.

as seen on the horrendously bad kevin costner moviw "flight of the phoenix"

dennis quaid, not kevin costner

newb

biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
owned.gif
dmenche914
Yeah but the old Black and White original movie was great.
sixnotfour
agree.gif
The remake sucked wacko.gif
airsix
QUOTE (MattR @ Jan 4 2006, 10:10 PM)
dennis quaid, not kevin costner

newb

biggrin.gif

Lame remake.

Jimmy Stewart did the original, and it was a good movie.
Point of trivia: In the original movie the "plane" they made from the wreckage was real (actually made from parts off the wrecked C-82 "Boxcar") and it really flew, but crashed durring filming killing the stunt pilot.

-Ben M.
URY914
This has to have gotten off topic more than any other thread.... laugh.gif

Paul
airsix
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jan 5 2006, 07:39 AM)
This has to have gotten off topic more than any other thread.... laugh.gif

Paul

No way. I think the URY914 needs a Coffman starter! I was on topic! The rest of the 'drift' was just background info. laugh.gif

Imiage: spin and stall durring autocross... momentary silence and dust cloud drifts off... BANG! (puff of smoke), chur-chur-chur...VROOMM! (wheelspin+oversteer to line up with course)

-Ben M. wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.