Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning pistons and heads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Poor-sche Lover
Howdy all,

I'm looking for a good way of cleaning the pistons and heads I just pulled off my engine. Apparently, it had been running VERRRRRRRRY rich, with some bad piston rings, because there is all kinds of crap and corruption in there. Some of it looks like carbon deposits and caked oil, but some seems to be just discoloration, like there's no depth to the crap; it's just a stain. I have already used Gunk degreaser, soaking in Seafoam, and Easy-Off. It helped a lot, but there is still a ton of work to do. I started scraping with a feeler gauge, but I'm worried about scratching the pistons, valves, heads, etc. Any suggestions? I'm more concerned with the crunchy stuff rather than the discoloration. I'll get some pictures if you think it'll help. Thanks.
Dead Air
grab some carb cleaner (not aerosol) and sooooooooak it.
root
grab some carb cleaner (not aerosol) and sooooooooak it.

agree.gif

Also, if you bubble some air into the soak tank at low presure/flow the whole soak process is accelerated greatly! beer.gif

Be sure to ventilate the room well or barf.gif
Bleyseng
agree.gif

Blair and I have broken down the 2 1.7 motors I had laying around. One has some good domed 90mm pistons that we will reuse. The other had been rebuilt recently so that one will be installed (with the domed pistons) in the 72 Black car to get it running.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.