Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Serious question - 914 or Boxster?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
96conv
I've always wanted a 914. Looks cool, well-balanced, old school air-cooled Porsche. But I've been afraid to jump in because of all the horrific stories of rust damage. So I decided to save a little more $ and buy an already restored beauty. However, I've read somewhere on this board that there isn't a way to totally prevent rust on these babies as they were never galvanized by the factory. And, the car will be living outside 24X7 under an all-weather cover.

Is it true that rust cannot be prevented on a 914? If this isn't true, what will it take to make it rust proof? How much will it take? Am I better off buying a used Boxster ('97s - '99s are hecka cheap)? Ok, not old school cool, not air-cooled either but well-balanced vehicle with all the modern amenities plus supercharging potential.

What do you think would be more cost-effective to own? What do you think would be most satisfying to own?
Howard
Only car? Get a Boxster. Safer, more dependable and better in almost every way.

Second car? 914 weighs almost 1000# less. You have to drive one over a curvy road to appreciate the difference. Go kart versus car. They cost about the same if you are going to do the 914 right.
Twystd1
Excellent question. Without a real answer. This is such a tough question to answer. Cause there are as many answers as there are car owners with opinions

So here is my .02 worth.

By and large: 914s are for people with a passion for a specicfic car. I think most people who collect older cars are like that.

914s are more like a rebellious teenager. That when treated correctly. Will run with about anything.
Yet it is still a teenager and doesnt have all the pleasantry's and sophistication of a later car such as a boxster.

A 914 isn't just a car to many of us here on this non-club. It's part of the family. When it is sick.. it affects the car owner... When it is running great. So are we.

Don't ask me... I don't understand it either.. IT JUST IS.

914s are a life style.

Boxsters seem to me as they are more of daily driver with long legs.

The boxster is more refined and has all the amenity's an adult would need in a sports car.

They are a great car and I like driving them when I can. Just fun cars.

Yet for me. Nothing feels better than to be than to have my ass 8 inches off the ground, setting the car in a slight drift with the sound of Dells scrreaming in my ear.

No boxster is like that.

Then again. This is about your end result... Not mine.

Hopefully a bazillion folks will post on this thread and give ya there opinions... Caused that just what they are. Just like mine..

Cheers and have a safe new year.

Twystd1

rick 918-S
agree.gif If it's not a passion you'll never enjoy your 914. I wouldn't want to have one for my only car. There just too old now.

A Boxster is just a car to me. ( a car I'd own.. but not a passion)
dekman
I agree with Howard.....however as a second car hard to beat! I've had BMW's, 911's, a 930 turbo...but my 914-6 is the most fun to drive! (also had a '73 914 2.0L that hooked me). agree.gif
Eric Taylor
A boxster is a car like any other and a really trick one at that, but at the same time it's just a car. Nothing to get to passionate about, you don't have to pour your blood sweat and tears into it to get it running. The biggiest thing I get out of the 914 is being the person who makes it happen. I love the feeling of driving down the road knowning that I'm the one who put it there and if it breaks i'm the one who will fix it. A lot of times it's a love hate relationship, but the feeling of driving something that is a part of you is way to cool. While some day I could probably afford a boxster I would rather spend that money on building a bad ass 914 even if in the end the speed numbers were similar. It's not the goal of getting the car but the journey to get there (arn't I wise ? wacko.gif ) . With the boxster you just get the car.
Eric
bryanc
QUOTE (Twystd1 @ Jan 3 2006, 10:31 PM)
Yet for me. Nothing feels better than to be than to have my ass 8 inches off the ground, setting the car in a slight drift with the sound of Dells scrreaming in my ear.

No boxster is like that.

The 986S motor is absolutely fabulous. It's smooth and the induction/exhaust sound is just perfect. The car has actual power compared to the /4. The suspension and handling are incredible. Boxsters have a variant of the Weissach effect rear end like 928's have. Porsche learned a lot in the 30 years between the two designs.

The 914/4 is fun to tinker with and I enjoy driving it more--but only in the right conditions. Traffic is no fun, you're always worried about SUV's, minivans, and in Phoenix, anything large and construction related. There is quite a size difference between the two cars. The Boxster is not as roomy in the passenger compartment, nor the trunks.

The boxster requires less routine maintainence, and _should_ be more reliable. The problem with the boxster is that it's more difficult to fix it yourself than the 914.

my $.02.
grantsfo
I had both Boxster and 914. Boxster is too heavy for my taste. Got rid of the Boxster and bought a new Miata.

Trekkor
Don't post pics like that here! laugh.gif

KT
smontanaro
I recently bought a 914/6. I considered all sorts of things (911s,
356s, Bugeye Sprites, early VW buses, Swallow-Dorettis, affordable(?)
Ferraris...) before settling on a 914/6 then spent several months
looking. My most recent toy cars were a TR-250 and a new Mini Cooper
S, so I had them as gauges by which to measure other cars. 911s are
too common (see below). 356 prices are stratospheric for a ragtop
(and aren't all that fast in basic guise). A nice 21-window Samba
would be kinda cool but require 911 or seriously overheated VW
motivation to outrace a turtle. Swallow-Doretti - too pricey; TR-2
drivetrain is old, old, old; too rare to responsibly consider any kind
of transplant. The Ferraris I could maybe afford were all ugly. (I
didn't know Enzo made so many ugly cars!) I nearly bought a 914/4
here in the Chicago area with 24k on the clock. I eventually settled
on a nice 914/6 with 76k miles I found in the St. Louis area. Didn't
even have to special order it in a color I liked. ;-)

Where I live -- and probably where you live as well -- late model
Porsches are like the Volvos of sports cars. Everybody seems to have
one. We were walking to the local cineplex the other day (drizzling,
around 35-40 degrees out) and came across some guy sitting in his
2000-something 911 with the engine idling (Carrera? I don't know -
they seem so homogenized to me now). Probably waiting for his
girlfriend or something. Nice car and all, but *way* too many
creature comforts to be a real sports car (wink, wink, nudge, nudge,
say no more, say no more). Probably had cupholders *and* a navigation
system. I wanted something that was not like everything else around
here. More basic, but still with some scoot.

As others have said, maybe a 914 wouldn't be your best choice today as
your only car. One possibility, find a nice reliable late model Honda
or Toyota to get to work and to fetch parts in, then buy yourself a
914 on which to hang the parts.
ehick72
Some members may disagree with me but even though the 914 has it’s moments I don't know if the 914 is the coolest looking Porsche. I don't look real cool in my car. I'm 6'2" with a big head. I look like a lego character with no legs when I am driving around in that thing.

However that's not why I love it. I love the way it drives and the way it’s put together. So amazingly simple yet so smart at the same time. Exploring the car I find out new things every day that make me smile. Plus the amount of information on these cars are only second to a Volkswagen bettle as far as seeking accurate advice on things.

As far as the rust is concerned, If you find one in good condition at this age then some kind of rust prevention must have taken place. I think with a all-weather cover you shouldn't run into problems. However part of your scheduled maintenance should be an inspection for rust. Substitute your radiator flushing for that. I think all 914s will rust eventually but that's like not buying a plasma TV because it only is guaranteed to work for 60000 hours. Where are you gonna be by the time that happens?
mudfoot76
QUOTE (96conv @ Jan 4 2006, 01:02 AM)
What do you think would be more cost-effective to own?  What do you think would be most satisfying to own?

Careful with those questions, you are inviting a hoarde of sample bias asking the members of this non-club who share fanatical passion for a quirky old sports car "which is better?" wink.gif Soooo subjective...

If you are only wanting to have one car, the Boxter is probably the better choice for daily driving. It has all the modern creature comforts consumers have come to expect. It might be more reliable too, but if it does break, odds are that you won't be fixing it yourself. It is larger, and therefore a little more visible among a stampede of SUVs in rush hour traffic.

But if you are just looking for something to have for the pure enjoyment of driving, the 914, hands down, would be my (and our non-club's?) suggestion. It sits low, transmits all the bumps and grooves, doesn't have much, or for many, any sound insulation. If you enjoy motoring, the 914 is the choice for you.
r_towle
if rust bothers you, get a boxter.
mikelsr
This is really a bad question to ask only on this board. I have both and I have a passion for both of them. If you ask about the difference on a 914 board then you will get most people telling that the 914 is superior, if you ask on a Boxster board (www.ppbb.com) then you will get the opposite answer.

I love my '01 Boxster and 914. I AX'ed the Boxster for a year and then my wife told me that she would rather I didn't race it because it was our "fun" car. She then told me to buy another car to race so I bought my '72 914, carb'ed 2.0L (from a '74). If I were to do either again I would opt for the Boxster S and a 914/6.

The Boxster is a more refined car where the 914 is what I consider raw but both are a joy to drive. I wouldn't want to drive a long distance in my 914 but I would drive all day in the Boxster. Mainly because my wife doesn't like the 914 and my suspension is stiff. When I get in either I still get a thrill and my heart starts to beat faster.

On the Boxster my ass sits a bit higher but I can still put the car in a slight drift and hear the cylinders yelling at me. Yes I can't hear the carbs sucking air because there aren't carbs on my Boxster but the same can be said for a lot of the 914s.

If you really like to work on your cars and have the time and $$ to do so, then by all means get a 914. If you don't want to have to worry about it then get the Boxster.

But before you make a decision based off what we say, go drive both. Find someone that will show you the in's and out's of both. If you can get a ride at an AX do it in both. If you can get on track do it. Take both for an hour or so trip.

The really great thing about the 914 is that you get to buy lots of NEW TOOLS welder.gif and jack stands! Both cars can bring out a passion in you that you never thought you would have.

Buy either, both or another car, but when you do - DRIVE it. I had a bad year in the Boxster and only put 10K miles on it this year. I put < 2K on the 914 but most of the time it was up on jacks or being worked on. I will expect to put 15-20k on the Boxster this year and 3-4K on the 914.

M
96conv
Wow, great advice from everybody!

The 914 wouldn't be my only car because I drive a Dodge Grand Caravan on a daily basis. Talk about complete opposites

I do like to work on cars but haven't had the time for that lately. My '79 911SC (my avatar) has been on jackstands for two weeks awaiting an external oil cooler install and valve adjustment. I may have to farm the work out if I don't get to it before the next dry track day.

I've driven a Boxster S and know they are quite fast and easy to drive. But that's just it. You need skill to drive an old 911 like mine or a 914.

Like I said, I've always wanted a 914 and more so now since Trekkor chased me around Sears Point in November and easily kicked my a$$.

I guess what's stopping me now really isn't the rust issue. I just have to find a way to convince my wife into letting me have another toy and a car project. I wouldn't get rid of my '79 as it's been so problem free in my two years of ownership. It rivals my old Honda Accord in reliability though I must say that I put 50K miles in my Honda in two years whereas I only logged 12K miles in the 911 in that time.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Jan 4 2006, 12:14 AM)
I had both Boxster and 914. Boxster is too heavy for my taste. Got rid of the Boxster and bought a new Miata.

apparently ordered it with the singin minstrels option laugh.gif
Root_Werks
Like everything, depends on you. A 986 to me is just what the 914 would have become over time. You can nab a good early 986 for low teens these days which makes it a real bargin. It wieghs in just over 2800lbs for an early one, so 600lbs heavier than a 914-4 with another 100 hp. It still has a very high fun factor, but I recently sold mine that I had for years because things started to age and happen to it. There is a ton of electronically controlled things in even the simplest of 986's. I can't wait to see what happens to them another 5 years from now. I predict the values will tank even more.

I'll stick with a 914. Rust is the cars real only enimie which you can fight easier than say side windows that stop rolling down that 1/4" when you go to open the door. screwy.gif
70Sixter
There are a lot of good points well said in this thread. As another owner of each I cannot answer which is better to buy. If I could only keep one it would be the Box. Fast, comfortable and reliable until the RMS starts to leak. The 914-6 is old, crude and free of wizardry of the electronics type. Kinda like me. And it has owned me since 1976. Altho I had an early 914-6 in 1970. Buy the one that tugs at your heart the most! But buy the best example you can afford.
GaroldShaffer
For the price of some later Boxsters I would take a look at THIS Fully optioned at $25k.

My cousins b-inlaw just picked his up. Nice car, fun to drive granted I only drove it for 15 miles or so, but still nice two seater. It's not a Porsche, but might be a option.
GaroldShaffer
bootyshake.gif shot biggrin.gif
horizontally-opposed
Painfully hard question. blink.gif

My 1973 914 has owned me since I was 15. I absolutely LOVE a good day in that car. And while I hate the idea that there are a few rust spots in cosmetic places that will have to be dealt with (but will probably come back) at some point -- I love the car's simplicity and long-life mechanicals.

We bought a 1999 Boxster a year ago for $17,500 and it's plain wonderful. I love the fact that I am not concerned about the march or corrosion, but hate the complexity that creates a lot of great features (retracting rear spoiler, ABS, four airbags, heated seats, a flat six that's as maintenance-free as they get).

As for the driving? The 914 is unbeatable on the right day on the right road and in the right temperature. Get two out of three and it's still super enjoyable. The difference is that the Boxster always shines no matter what the weather or environment.

If I had to keep only one, it would be a very, very hard decision. My head would say Boxster all the way, but (most of) my heart would say 914. sad.gif

What you didn't mention initially is that you have a 911 SC. I had a 1979 and liked it but decided there was only room for one old Porsche in my life. If I were in your shoes, the answer would be very, very easy: Boxster all the way.

I am a big proponent of one old Porsche and one new one -- and a 914/996 or 911/986 garage would be the ideal, "reasonable-money" setup IMHO. wub.gif

Whatever, you can't go wrong with EITHER of the Porsches your looking at....

pete
mack914
My Boxster gives me something fun to drive during the winter months when the 914 is sleeping. Lots of good buys on boxsters, over 200 of them on e-bay, especially this time of year. I paid $14.5K for one that had 42K miles. burnout.gif
Flat VW
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Jan 3 2006, 11:14 PM)

uhhhh, "M" car........... mad.gif

John
Flat VW
old thread
Brian Mifsud
I consider my 914 a "classic four wheeled motorcycle".

All the fun and agility, open air, simplicity.

What the 914 lacks compared to modern cars is:

Comfort (seating, especially long trips..my aching back....)
"Creature" Comforts (get a collection of clean old towels for your defrost, get used to having to take a shower after every drive from "Hitler's revenge" ie oil mist via the "heater"...
Noise (lots of it)
Tempermental Type IVs
Tempermental 901
Low profile.. (no one can see you on the road)
Impact/Collision.... (drive it like you do a motorcycle)...

Also.... haha.. fuel tank in your lap.... "oh the humanity"...

Now, I've never driven a Boxster... but.. It seems Porsche looked carefully at a 914, then added everything they needed to "update" the car to "modern" standards...

I drive my 914 like I did my old Moto Guzzi 850 Lemans I.... it's a "classic" and you sacrifice some things to own and operate it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.