Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Oil on the Market
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
solex
Got this in a newsletter this morning. Seems a bit expensive, I wonder if it is worth the money.

Liquid Cosworth
URY914
Nice website.

But not until Jake tells me I can use it in his/my engine. biggrin.gif

Paul
dmenche914
maybe jake will market his own repackaged blend too. Yeah Raby Oil, thats the ticket!!!!
WRX914
What lubs are you guys using now?

Have had excellent results with Havoline and Valvoline...

Over 100K on my old Bronco and after a tear down, looked as if less than 30K. Used Havoline in that truck.
solex
I use Royal Purple based on recommendations from this group.
Katmanken
Looks like Cosworth is branching out into a new market...

As an engineer, I have to wonder if oil formulation is one of the core competencies of an engine development company.....

Then again, they may have hired a whiz kid that solved a mechanical problem for them with an oil solution..

Ken

tat2dphreak
i use valvoline synthetic aktion035.gif givemebeer.gif
URY914
Yep, Royal Purple for me too. wink.gif
Jake Raby
QUOTE (dmenche914 @ Jan 4 2006, 10:35 AM)
maybe jake will market his own repackaged blend too.  Yeah Raby Oil, thats the ticket!!!!

Don't laugh...
Charles and I have already done the analysis and have been working on a blend for a few weeks already as a joint effort.

Royal purple rocks and I love it... It's currently the best oil for the TIV engine hands down.

Maybe Charles will chime in and share some of the analysis he has done already- My part comes later when it's time to test the final product.

BTW- an engine developer is the best person to create an oil for the engine he develops... We know the tolerances and theory put into each engine and how oil weight and mineral contents will effect the engine better than anyone else...

But the oil certainly would not be generic for different types of engines as it would certainly do better in some environments than others, according to the primary goal the developer had for the oil, of course... The oil I market will only be for my engines.
dmenche914
Hey jake, thats just too cool, hope you are able to get a better oil.

Wonder what difference between Royal Purple, Mobil One, and Valvoline full synthetic you have found. i have been using Mobile One (15w-50) or the higher wieght Valvoline (20w-50) (High wieght in my high mileage Vanagon (wasser boxer) cause it is old and oil pressure aint' what it used to be)
Jake Raby
It would take me days to explain what I found... BUT the tests are now 4 years old and the oil has changed- the tests need to be re-done for sure and they will be.

In my previous tests Mobil 1 was horrible, the worst synthetic next to Amsoil.
URY914
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Jan 4 2006, 12:44 PM)
In my previous tests Mobil 1 was horrible, the worst synthetic next to Amsoil.

w00t.gif

Somehow I always thought Amsoil was crap.
Jake Raby
Hawaiian Tropic Suntan oil is better!

Thats not a joke- I have ran Suntan oil and it does work! So does peanut oil as long as you have tight clearances and run wide ass open all the time!
Katmanken
Christ Jake,

Now I know you are crazy.....

Always wondered why your engines were so special- it's the smell of the hot oil wafting from the engine compartment....

Mmmmmmm..... suntan oil.. ...babes in bikini's... BABES IN THONGS...... blink.gif wub.gif shocked[1].gif

As per the peanut oil, have you tried peanut butter for a bearing assembly lube yet? happy11.gif

Ken
Jake Raby
The wild thing is the fact I used the suntan oil as a joke and it worked extremely well.. Back in 2002 a local VW show I attend and do engine blows at was having a "Beach" theme... In the middle of Tennessee! I always like to do crazy things so I had the wild idea of preping a blow motor and then changing the oil to a mixture of Panama Jack and Hawaiian tropic for the theme..

I fired the engine up and it ran at wide open throttle for more than 5 solid minutes with no cooling system, not even an oil cooler! Typically the oil will get so hot that it becomes useless and bearings start spinning and a rod comes through the case- not the case! The engine ran and ran until a piece of a piston chipped off and got sucked into the oil pump, seizing the gears and killing the oil pressure.... The chip was still there when I tore thee engine down....

The odd thing was normally when I tear these babies down after a big BLOW the oil smells burnt to the point it will almost turn your stomach- you can smell it outside the shop in some instances when the case is split. The suntan oil still smelled fine, not burned at all and it was still clear, not dark brown or black, it seemed not to break down at all compared to engine oil.

I learned a lot from that experience for sure, no one believes that it will work!

I won't even bother telling you how much power it frees up on the dyno, we'll just say it's " notable".

Sometimes we benefit from doing off the wall stuff!
kdfoust
QUOTE (kwales @ Jan 4 2006, 11:17 AM)
Looks like Cosworth is branching out into a new market...

As an engineer, I have to wonder if oil formulation is one of the core competencies of an engine development company.....

Then again, they may have hired a whiz kid that solved a mechanical problem for them with an oil solution..

Ken

It's not I'm sure (a core compentency).

I imagine that it's Pennzoil or some other known brand packaged for Cosworth. Perhaps they even tweaked a little to meet some weird Cosworth criteria, or not. Happens all the time with all kinds of products.

Later,
Kevin
bd1308
Cosworth....i'm liking the 10W-50 oil they have though....

b
ReceptionDesk@LiquidCosworth.com
Hello everyone. Your discussion came to our attention because we're trying to guide the introduction of our new products.

Being divested from Ford about a year ago has allowed Cosworth to branch out. Cosworth is in the aftermarket fluids business and is not rebranding another product or licensing our name. We've taken on some experienced ex-oil company personnel to work with in-house engineers. The new combination is unique, adding a great deal of know-how from formulating commercial products to the special lubricants for the race teams the oil company supported. Many of those engines were various Cosworth engines, so the history is longer than the business venture.

Cosworth formulations are distinctly ours - as an oil analysis will show. And they run in gasoline F1, methanol CCWS, leaded gasoline Formula Atlantics, and the Caterham road cars (excepting selection of viscosity grade.)

Please visit us at www.liquidcosworth.com or send an email with questions.
jimtab
Hell, I like these guys already, their engines have always been "the shit" and without the Ford thing going on...even better. AND, they obviously pay attention if they got back to our little corner of the market...good on 'em I say.... aktion035.gif
Rouser
QUOTE (solex @ Jan 4 2006, 09:15 AM)
Seems a bit expensive, I wonder if it is worth the money.

If it was priced somewhere near the synthetic brands I might've given it a whirl, but $8.49 a Ltr/near-Quart is quite a bit much.

This is one of those wait 'n see's ...
cnavarro
I'm planning on giving Cosworth's oil a try. I just finished testing over 30 various oils - non syn, semi-syn, syn, diesel, motorcycle, 2 stroke (yes, two stroke), and additives. I'm still digesting the results and i've been asked to write an article to go with the findings, but i've been a tad swamped lately. I've yet to get some oils to Jake for testing, but my primary concern is to find and sell a break-in lube for the first hours and months of life, before going to synthetic. I'll share my results as soon as we get a chance to figure out what they all mean!
Wild 6
Why would Porsche recommend Mobil I and stand behind the warranty of a VERY expensive engine if it wasn't any good? confused24.gif
bryanc
QUOTE (Wild 6 @ Jan 11 2006, 04:28 PM)
Why would Porsche recommend Mobil I and stand behind the warranty of a VERY expensive engine if it wasn't any good? confused24.gif

Probably a marketing agreement rather than technical details. Automakers design a motor for motor oils that meet a spec, knowing that they can't guarantee that a particular brand of oil is available everywhere they choose to sell the car.

That said, I've never heard of any issues with mobil 1 until now. I use it on all of my porsches.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.