Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To Weld or Not to Weld?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
Removed my rockers while prepping for paint--perfect, yes! After removing tar mats I found two dime size thin spots under the driver's seat area in different spots. The metal around the holes and everywhere else on the floorboards are good as new. My question is what to do about those two spots. I have never welded before nor do I have the equipment. Should I rent a welder and just hope for the best (PS 220 volts is 30 feet away--dryer)? Repair it with something like JB Weld? Purchase a cheepo welder like from harbor freight? I included there weekly special of $199. The car is totally dismantled so driving it somewhere is out of the question. Its next trip will be in a car hauler to the paint shop.
Thanks ahead time for your advice!
computers4kids
Harbor Frieght
VaccaRabite
QUOTE (computers4kids @ Jan 4 2006, 11:08 AM)
Removed my rockers while prepping for paint--perfect, yes! After removing tar mats I found two dime size thin spots under the driver's seat area in different spots. The metal around the holes and everywhere else on the floorboards are good as new. My question is what to do about those two spots. I have never welded before nor do I have the equipment. Should I rent a welder and just hope for the best (PS 220 volts is 30 feet away--dryer)? Repair it with something like JB Weld? Purchase a cheepo welder like from harbor freight? I included there weekly special of $199. The car is totally dismantled so driving it somewhere is out of the question. Its next trip will be in a car hauler to the paint shop.
Thanks ahead time for your advice!

Are the 2 dime sized spots clear through? If not, can you drive a screwdriver through them? If not, wire cup them until they are clear of rust, and then metal ready and por-15.

Zach
TINCAN914
I have a similar question, however I have more to weld....
I am tempted to go and buy a cheap unit and do the work myself, but I haven't a clue what I'm doing when it comes to welding. The good news is the area's that I need to weld are not seen, wheel well, trunk engine compartment, so picture perfect welds are not required though I would like them to look nice... unsure.gif
bd1308
I'm saving up for that exact HF unit....

i think it'll be alright with alot of patience.

b
computers4kids
QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Jan 4 2006, 08:14 AM)
Are the 2 dime sized spots clear through?

Zach

The two spots after I ground them with the wire wheel is "clear through." Would some fiberglass cloth or a piece of thin metal layed down first before the Por 15 do the trick?

PS I will prep the two spots with Rust coverter as well.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (computers4kids @ Jan 4 2006, 09:20 AM)
QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Jan 4 2006, 08:14 AM)
Are the 2 dime sized spots clear through?

Zach

The two spots after I ground them with the wire wheel is "clear through." Would some fiberglass cloth or a piece of thin metal layed down first before the Por 15 do the trick?

PS I will prep the two spots with Rust coverter as well.

no fiberglass!!!

just weld it in....
cut out little patch piece...weld in a new one...

or if the hole is small enough.... just fill it with the welder
914GT
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jan 4 2006, 09:15 AM)
I'm saving up for that exact HF unit....

i think it'll be alright with alot of patience.

b

You should realize that the $199 HF welder is set up for flux-core wire and does not have the regulator and tank needed for MIG gas welding. Also the helmet that comes with it sucks and you'll also need heavy gloves, etc. There's an optional regulator you'll need to buy to add gas. You'll pay another $75-$100 or so first time for a small tank of welding gas. Tank refills run about $20 to $35 depending whether you use straight CO2 (cheapest) or the argon/CO2 mix.
bd1308
I'm selling off 914 stuff, just to live man.

I wasnt planning on using MIG just yet....

I just need something that works at this point....

b
LvSteveH
Call me a snob, but I'd keep an eye out for a used Miller sidekick, mm135 or even a Hobart handler. You will be MUCH happier in the long run, and it won't cost you any more. You have to remember that most hobbyiests don't use their welder much, so they are often like new and only cost a few hundred bucks ready to weld.

You'll get the best results using small wire (.023 ish) and an argon/co2 mix on the gas. There is almost nothing on a 914 that one of these 115v welders could handle for home use, up to and including a cage. Of course more power is always better biggrin.gif
dlee1967
The HF unit is a real piece of junk and you will not be satisfied with the results. I have been welding for a number of years with a Lincoln unit and when a buddy (914 owner) asked me to travel to Austin to weld up his stiffening plates for him, I agreed. He had the exact same HF unit and with the flux core the spattering made a horrible weld. He even had the gas kit that we installed later and had very similar results with solid core wire.

I finally went home disgusted and went back the next weekend with my Lincoln and did the job correctly. My advise would be save the $199 and put that towards either a better welder or borrow a freinds higher quality unit and then float him a little cash for supplies (wire and gas).

My first wire welder was a Century 220V unit bought on Ebay for just a little more than the HF unit, and it was well worth the money. I still have it, but only use it occasionaly. DLee
URY914
QUOTE (dlee1967 @ Jan 4 2006, 09:36 AM)
The HF unit is a real piece of junk

I would never buy anything from HF that has moving parts on it or a cord.

Is it UL listed?

Cano
You definately need to be careful with HF stuff, but at the same time you can get some great deals. I was going to get a replacement chuck for a drill, but ended up getting a HF drill for half of what Sears and Lowe's wanted just for the chuck. A year and a half later, and the drill still works great. If it breaks, I can buy 4-5 replacements for the cost of an "economy" drill from say, Sears. Of course, I do not use it day in and day out, but it can't be beat for hobby use.

Granted, the drill is very different from a wire-feed welder. Either the drill works, or it doesn't. The welder may indeed "work," but it could have serious design problems that virtually eliminate its uselfullness. For example, you may be so limited in power adjustment that you are burning through on one setting yet getting no real penetration on the next lowest setting.

Just my $.02
TINCAN914
Glad I joined in to ask...
You guy's saved me a great deal of heartache... I will pay someone to do the welding or barrow a unit from someone.. I was thinking about swinging over at lunch and picking that unit up...

Thanks again.
This place is great...
SirAndy
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 4 2006, 08:23 AM)
no fiberglass!!!

just weld it in....
cut out little patch piece...weld in a new one...

or if the hole is small enough.... just fill it with the welder

agree.gif

and aaaaaaron, size down that damm banner ...
slap.gif Andy
Andyrew
Yup those chicago welders from harbor freight suck.

Splatter everywhere... But if your just doing one job.. get the uber cheap welder they have, practice a lot till you can lay a bead, and do the job.

Or hire a welder to do it for you.. 100 bucks an hour or so..
computers4kids
Thanks to everyone's advice, I think I'll put my $199 back in the cookie jar and either borrow one or rent one to get my small job done. I probably wouldn't be using one enough to justify bumping up to a decent one. Once again thanks!
smontanaro
QUOTE (computers4kids @ Jan 4 2006, 10:08 AM)
The car is totally dismantled so driving it somewhere is out of the question. Its next trip will be in a car hauler to the paint shop.

Why not just do as much prep as you can and let your paint guy do the
welding?
computers4kids
QUOTE (smontanaro @ Jan 4 2006, 06:20 PM)
QUOTE (computers4kids @ Jan 4 2006, 10:08 AM)
The car is totally dismantled so driving it somewhere is out of the question.  Its next trip will be in a car hauler to the paint shop.

Why not just do as much prep as you can and let your paint guy do the
welding?

The thought crossed my mind but I really wanted to have the floor finished and coated with Por-15 before it went to the paint shop. I just want to have all my ducks in a row before I send it off.
JoeSharp
Rent one for the day, play with it for hours and then work on your car for a few minutes.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Cap'n Krusty
Having welded (with some, but not a lot of real high quality) sheetmetal for over 30 years, I suggest that learning this close to the end of a project may be the biggest mistake of your life to date. Anyone can weld big chunks, only the most experienced of weldors can do sheetmetal with grace and style. The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 4 2006, 09:48 PM)
I suggest that learning this close to the end of a project may be the biggest mistake of your life to date. Anyone can weld big chunks, only the most experienced of weldors can do sheetmetal with grace and style.

agree.gif if that car means *anything* to you, bite the bullet and hire a professional to do the job.
watch and learn.
then get some scrap metal to practice ...

while welding is not rocket science, it does take some skill to do it right, and you won't acquire that skill in a day or two ...
sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif smash.gif Andy
lincoln
well, id volunteer my welding abilities for ya as visalia isnt that far , if you get the welder, cept i just lost reverse and 3rd gears in my daily driver and not sure baby is ready to make any extended road trips ( out of town)

try to rent either a good miller or lincoln, possibly hobart , those are good name brands and should be good for the job at hand, get some 16 gauge sheet metal steel to practice on also cuz it can burn thru very fast if your not careful

even if i was doing the welding id still want some scrap same thickness to use to adjust the welder with and i think most cars of the era used 14-16 gauge
TeamAxisRacing
does anyone here actually own one of those welders? hehe i knew a neighbor that loved harbor frieght tools and one day got a wire feed welder that blew so hard WTF.gif it had no gas line fitting to use sheilding gas! used flux core wire and would not penitrate any gauge metal we tried it on. and the wire speed was fixed (non adjustable) and two heat adjustments high and low.

talk about a piece of crap..... i wonder if they make a tig machine haha clap.gif
jonwatts
Anybody here in the bay area have a favorite welding supplier they'd like to share? ArcGas in San Jose keeps quoting me list.

jsteele22

I've only done a little bit of welding, and I can definitely agree with the "practice it first" crowd. Also, get someone w/ experience to help you get started. My first welds totally sucked, and I didn't get better until I got some hints from a seasoned pro. Once I got the hang of it, basic welds came out looking pretty decent. But I'm still suprised at how different each job is, and I'd have no clue where to start on a given job without some trial and error on a practice piece. Bit don't worry too much : it really isn't that hard once you get the hang of it, and the job you need done is very forgiving.

Oh, and I see a ton of used welders for sale (seems like they're always Lincoln) in the local Thrifty Nickel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.