Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Toggle switch repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seth74
Below the gear shift, there are three switches, Heat/Delay/Temp one of mine the heat (i think) is shorting out, I need to access this, does anyone know how to access the underside of this panel? I dont want to break anything trying to access it wrong.. thanks for any help
Dave_Darling
On a 914? Below the gear shift on a 914 is the center tunnel... No idea what you're talking about, my friend...

--DD
ruddyboys
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
lapuwali
Yes, you need to provide some photos. It sounds like some PO has added those switches.
seth74
Will try to add some pics.. I was thinking they all (914's) had these switches, I would have to remove the panel that the gear shift goes down thru, the switches go thru this same panel and are wired underneath..
thank you
seth
Cap'n Krusty
First clue is there are NO toggle switches on any street legal 914. Porsche isn't fond of them. The Cap'n
Jeffs9146
Custom wiring! blink.gif

The panel (if it is a 2.0 console) should just lift out and slide up the shifter. If they modified the panel it may be screwed in.
dmenche914
Your car ain't street legal with them, better pull over!
davep
Possibly an AMCO console.
seth74
here is the pic
Rand
Definitely not factory. So accessing the underside depends on how the previous owner installed that switch panel. You'll have to explore to see what's up. That panel will lift up if you take the shift boot, gauge panel, and enough retaining stuff out of the way. Keep us posted.
lapuwali
I'd love to know where those switches lead. Delay what? Temp of what? What's that "idle" notation mean? The big red lever normally controls the heater air flaps and (when pulled all the way up) turns on the blower in back. I wonder if a PO converted that lever to a hand-throttle. If so, the one switch could control a solenoid to open the flappers, and another could control the blower. No idea what the "delay" switch would do.

If you pull on the red lever with the engine running, does it idle faster?
seth74
Im pretty sure the delay is for the wipers, I will post a reply this weekend, after i check for sure.
jd74914
because of the idle lable it kinda looks like some aftermarket part for an early 911
seth74
I replaced all the switches today, they were poorly wired and I could see where two wires had been touching. After I finished, turn the key nothing.. I get some dash lights when the key is turned all the way and when i first let it go, during that time if I turn the toggle switches the heat one turns on a small heater near floor not factory added, when i switch the one that say temp I hear a blower in rear come on, the delay switch delays the wipers. I think when I tried to use the heat switch (before I replaced them it) shorted something out in the ignition. Any thoughts? Are there any fuses other than the ones in the fuse panel? Thanks again
seht
dmenche914
Two more fuses are located on the relay board, in the engine bay behind driver seat area, one is fuel pump as i recall, I think the other was for optional rear defroster??? can someone confirm this?

Do you have voltage at coil when key is on?
Is there voltage at starter when key is in start position?

lapuwali
QUOTE (seth74 @ Jan 6 2006, 03:38 PM)
I replaced all the switches today, they were poorly wired and I could see where two wires had been touching. After I finished, turn the key nothing.. I get some dash lights when the key is turned all the way and when i first let it go, during that time if I turn the toggle switches the heat one turns on a small heater near floor not factory added, when i switch the one that say temp I hear a blower in rear come on, the delay switch delays the wipers. I think when I tried to use the heat switch (before I replaced them it) shorted something out in the ignition. Any thoughts? Are there any fuses other than the ones in the fuse panel? Thanks again
seht

If the starter isn't turning, it's not a fuse, as the starter circuit isn't fused. If the starter is turning and it's not starting, it may be the fuel pump (carbs or EFI?). The coil circuit isn't fused, either.

If the starter isn't turning, look at the large yellow wire that goes from the key down the center tunnel (note that the headlights are also yellow wires, and those are fused), then through the engine tin and to the starter solenoid. Make sure this wire is still connected at both ends.

Make sure the ground strap from the transmission to the trunk floor is still attached firmly. This is above the tail of the transaxle.

Since the PO was clearly into doing his own wiring, of course, none of the "normal" advice may hold true. Someone may have added a relay to the starter circuit, perhaps even fused. Once the cars are this old and have gone through the hands of people that were intent on wiring things their own way, there's no telling how things are supposed to work (and I say this as someone who's rewiring his car now, in his own way).
seth74
Starter is not turning, I hear nothing when I turn the key, weird thing is while the key is turned all the way I can turn lights on ect, was gonna try to take a look at the ignition switch ( i think thats what its called.. the thing you stick the key in and turn) but the haynes book failed to include that. Will try some more in the morning, and will charge battery overnight ( I dont think it is the battery lights were bright).
dmenche914
Uhm... Assuming you have FI, and you say you hear nothing when you try to start, I would be thinking along the lines of the ignition switch, usually you can hear the fuel pump run for seveal seconds after attemptiong a start (it shuts down automatically if start fails.)

Do you hear the pump (and is the car FI)????

Also clarify when the lights come on, whent eh key is turned all the way, all the way is the start position, is that the only position that the lights work at? or do they also work in the run postion (one click back from the full turned postion), two clicks back is the off position

ie ignition switch should be "off", then "run", and finally fully turned "start" the switch should not stay in the start postion unless it is held there.
seth74
I can hear the fuel pump when turned to full start position, my parking lights work at anytime, headlights only come on at full start position, ignition does not feel right to me almost wants to stay in full start position, car is new to me too. Nothing is on when the ingnition is in the run position. When I found this wiring problem I had tried to use the toggle switch that said heat, it almost cut the engine and all lights went dim until I released the switch, thats why Im thinking it may have gotten hot around the ignition. the power and acc wire were hitting each other on that switch.
thanks
seth
dmenche914
something ain't right, the fact that the ignigion switch won't self reset to run after start. I say you have at least one probelm there. so thats were I would start.
seth74
Forgot to ask what is FI? and PO
bd1308
FI=fuel injection...if you have it, you'll see a giant airbox in the middle of the car, a circular air cleaner looking thing, or a small square airbox off to the right-hand side.

If you dont, well you'll see two carbs or whatever.

PO=Previous Owner...

b
lapuwali
The spring part of the switch is the electrical section, which is completely separate from (and much cheaper than) the key part. You have to remove the steering wheel to get at the key part, then remove that, then you can remove the electrical part. It's cheap, so go ahead and replace it if there's any doubt. I doubt it will fix your problem, but at least it will remove a variable.
Eric_Shea
I'll bet the 'heat' was wired to the 'seat heater', hence no starty now. blink.gif
seth74
The heat was wired to a small auto heater that is mounted to the side of the console, this heater works now that I rewired all of the switches, but only works when key fully turned to start.
dmenche914
be sure the added heater is fused, if not, you could end up with fire, or melted wire harness (a big pain)
seth74
I have the switch out on the electrcal portion, on one end its cracked and seems worn.. end opposite of end with all the plugs. Probable gonna have to order the part so want know more till Monday PM
seth74
Thanks for all the advice, new ignition switch installed.... problem fixed. Thx again
seth biggrin.gif beer.gif
bd1308
like where can one purchase such ignition switch?

b
Dave_Darling
Like, every place that sells parts for 914s... (Link to one of those in my sig below!)

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.