Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Recovering Unclaimed Money
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DougC
I've received a few letter over the last couple of years from different companies saying that I have unclaimed money and they can help me recover it (for a percentage I assume). The amount is always, well usually the same amount so I tend to believe there is something to it. I think I heard that the government holds FHA deposits and I'm thinking it may be for something like that. I'd rather not pay one of these companies a percentage - any advice on recovering it myself?

Doug C
dmenche914
If you can't figure out where the money is, then a small percentage fee is not too bad, just don't pay the percentage until after you get the money. Maybe a forgotten bank account or something?????
DougC
Well, I just went to my states official website and entered my name under the 'unclaimed property' section and it showed that I have $25 from an apartment complex that i lived in about 10 years ago. I printed the claim form and will have to sign it and send it in to them. But this is not the one that I've been getting notices on, it's like $1600 and I now have no idea what it is..

Doug C
dmenche914
If you don't recall the $1600, it must be mine, please send check to me, Then you won't have to worry about forgetting, nor all them ads anymore!
thanks
Jeffs9146
You have to check the official state website for each state that you have lived in. You also have to put the proper city and the proper "exact" name as they have it on file.
morph
QUOTE (Jeffs9146 @ Jan 4 2006, 02:28 PM)
You have to check the official state website for each state that you have lived in.

I agree, I have found money for one of my relatives, they were pleasantly surprised when I found $200. I only had to use last name on our states "lost money" website, and then everyone with that last name came up, and thats how I found my bro-in-laws money.

Hiedi
DougC
But I'm pretty sure i remember reading or seeing, somewhere - that FHA gives a refund for Mortagage Insurance (deposit?) when the loan is paid in full (resale the house). there are a couple of stipulations like you didn't default on payments..

Doug C
markb
I just got a 2k check for my sister from FL. The Department of Financial Services (Bureau of Unclaimed Property). It was an old checking account my Father had taken out for her years ago, that nobody else knew about.

Oh, yeah, about 2 weeks after filing the paperwork, we got a letter from a Detective agency offering to get us the money, for only a $50.00 finders fee. laugh.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Be very careful it may be a scam. Don't pay any money up front. Did the letter say " That you had money in a lost acct" or you might have. My 2 cents Dave slap.gif
gklinger
Try this:Missing Money. This is the site the Arizona Dept of Revenue Unclaimed Property Unit refers you to, so it looks legit - and free info. Looks like I've got something out there...
Jenny
My brother just got a letter that was forwarded to me by accident. Mis-spelled address, claiming to be from a recovery service. Letter said he was owed $250 something, and they can recover it for him if he provides them with necessary documentation and a $22 recovery fee. At the bottom of the letter, it big bold letters, it said

This is not a scam, con or swindle. This is legit!

We both had a good lol2.gif and I said I'd send it down to him at my next convenience. Then this thread pops up, and I did a search for unclaimed property in CA under my last name. Behold, Jeff's name popped up and he is owed $250 something. And he just needs to print out a form, and send in the correct documentation. I informed him that this is indeed not a swindle, and he should recover his money. Of course, since I directed him to the site, I feel I should be entitled to the $22 recovery fee. Or $20 at least. slap.gif

Jen (I wish I had some unclaimed property... sad.gif )
spare time toys
The FHA does hold back funds that are yours to claim. Our home we had in Irving got us a nice refund from them when we sold it. Contact the FHA and see about claiming left over funds. I just dont remember what they called it.
DougC
I started this thread yesterday afternoon and when I got home there was another letter from yet another attorney LLpc and this one mentioned something about a Homestead Exemption, so it has to do with taxes I guess.. also said that time is running out, the deadline is Jan.31st. I will definately pursue this.

Doug C
crash914
Thanks for the link!!

I just found stock that I did not know about....

It did not find an old bank acount though.... dry.gif
crash914
Found more money for my brother in law....now I am a hero.... smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.