Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bad miss in left turns problem solved!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Roger D.
I replaced the distributor cap and rotor, took 'er out for a test ride and this little car blew my mind!!...She not only runs awesome and fast but I really think it is way quicker than my 356 C. Thanks to all of you who have contributed to helping me fix the problem. As far as the left turn "miss" all I can figure is that the coil wire must have moved slightly in left turns. These really are fun little cars. And to think of all the years I wasted disliking them from a distance. They really do deserve the Porsche name!!

Roger D.
smile.gif
Rand
smilie_pokal.gif
Thanks for posting the great news. We don't always get to hear the solutions.
clap.gif
Roger D.
Damm...that was a FUN ride!! I used to autocross 356's in the 70's and I always wanted to hillclimb. This crazy little black car can do both!! I am still amazed at how much fun it is.

Roger D.
dmenche914
Ah a 356 'er has gone from the dark side to the light! Cheers. Actually both cars are great, although very different. I got a 356C after my 914, love them both. 356 is in shop now getting welding and paint work. and of course the 914 is on jackstands! bummer, i need my Porsche fix! i guess the Vanagon is kind of close, and it runs (for the time being)!
Roger D.
Yeah...like I said I ONLY loved 356's for many years. I had a Speedster for 21 yrs and used to sneer at guys in 914's. Im 57 now and still drive like a 20 yr old. I have a whole new respect for 914's. Got this car from the original owner 3 weeks ago. Original black factory paint. It is a cool little machine. I drove an '88 Vanagon over 250,000 miles. Loved that thing. It was so dependable. Even after it blew head gasquets one time it kept going and got me home. I've owned 6 - 356's and 1 - 911 Carerra but it got me into lots of trouble. I just couldnt keep that car under 100 mph. Tell ya what tho...the wife and I both can't wait for summer now...and take the top off this 914 and have some fun.
Thanks for your support!!

Roger D.
KaptKaos
Roger,

Great to hear that your problem is solved.

I have only had a 914, as it is the only 4 cylinder air-cooled porsche I can afford at the moment. I have always lusted after 356s and intend to own one at some point. Having never driven a 356 and since you are new to 914s, I would really like to hear your perspective on the similarities and differences between the 356 and the 914.

Thanks,
Joe
Roger D.
Joe....I bought my first 356 over 30 yrs ago after a friend let me drive his. I was and still am amazed at how those cars were way ahead of their time. I also totally respected and still do, the way the factory hand built them. Everything fit as it should. I always drove 356's hard, pushing the envelope to learn where their "breakinhg point" was. When the back end started to go, I quickly learned that all I had to do was let off the throttle just long enough for the rear to grab hold again and then "punch it" and she'd straighten right out. Even on wet roads they are remarkable cars. Very predictable once you get to know them. That's a comfortable feeling in a car. 356's give more of a soft ride than a stock 914 but that's a good thing. I like the way the 914 feels. Extremely roadworthy little machine. It's kind of like driving a big go cart. The fuel injection is great...I wouldnt trade it for webers. FI is less finicky and the fuel economy is way better. I had webers on my Speedster and she really flew!! That was a fun car. 356's a really pretty easy to work on and access to everything is great. That's one thing I have to get used to with the 914. I havent even figured out how in the hell Im supposed to change the oil yet. I can't get under the 914. It's lower than the 356. If you really want a 356 I suggest you look for one that at least is driveable. Prices have gone crazy. Don't bother picking up a rust bucket that needs floors, upholstery, engine, the works!! You will never stop dumping $$$ into it. Just find one you can afford, clean it up a bit and DRIVE it!! For God's sake...don't turn it into a garage queen. I still drive my cars hard on twisty roads. They love it and so do I. And that my friend is what they were made for. And don't buy one on ebay!! Really risky. Where abouts do you live? I can keep my eyes open for you. My garage is full now so I don't nered another car..that's for sure. As they say in the 356 world..."Keep the faith"

Roger D.
KaptKaos
Thanks Roger! smilie_pokal.gif

I have three children under the age of 6, so my "fun" money is a bit tied up for now. sad.gif

It's interesting to hear how the 356 performs differently. As you have found, the 914 is very fun to drive and it's good to have you here in our non-club.

I really like the outlaw look on some 356s. Stock is beautiful, but there is something about those outlaws that just is hard to ignore. So no, no garage queens for me.

Roger D.
Joe...I co-raced a '63 356 coupe in Mexico for 3 yrs running with a friend. Talk about fun!!! One guy put it this way, "It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on". That was an outlaw 356. Had a pumped 912 motor. We were in a rally with 83 other cars some of which were pumped up V-8's. We still managed to come in 5th overall after 7 days of racing thru 1200 miles from the southern border of Mexico to the border at Texas. That was a blast!! The Mexican people thought we were all celebrities and wanted our autographs. Look it up on the internet: La Carrera Panamericana.
It's quite an experience! Hang in there with the kids. I had 2 little ones when I first got the Speedster. They loved it almost as much as I did.

Roger D.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Roger D. @ Jan 4 2006, 04:29 PM)
These really are fun little cars.  And to think of all the years I wasted disliking them from a distance.  They really do deserve the Porsche name!!

smilie_pokal.gif way to go, i'm glad you like our little cars! they are a blast to drive even if the "beauty" part needs some getting used to ... biggrin.gif

driving.gif Andy
jimtab
Welcome, I used to have a couple of 356 cars... a '57 coupe and a 58 speedster in succession....thought I killed the guy when I got 4500 cash for the speedster in 1968.....sure wish I'd kept the damn thing...but I'd rather drive my 914....ahh but the look of a speedster.....no comparison... wub.gif
davep
Roger, what years did you run the Panamericana?
Roger D.
I ran in the Panamerican in '86, '87 and 88. Were you there or did you know somebody?

Roger D.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.