Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front oil cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spunone
Has anybody routed there oil line on the drivers side .You know remove plastic hoses open up the holes and use new line for oilcooler??Just thinking out loud screwy.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (spunone @ Jan 4 2006, 06:02 PM)
Has anybody routed there oil line on the drivers side .You know remove plastic hoses open up the holes and use new line for oilcooler??Just thinking out loud screwy.gif

i used the right side.... so the hot oil lines dont bother me.... just the passenger.

do a search in the forum and my blog.....

where are you tapping the oil from? sandwich plate? full flow? makes a difference which side is easier.....

AA
spunone
You really think the oil lines will get hot enough to bother you when mounted on the out side ?? screwy.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (spunone @ Jan 4 2006, 06:16 PM)
You really think the oil lines will get hot enough to bother you when mounted on the out side ?? screwy.gif

umm....look at how the factory did it. its in the car for 8 inches or so.....

search is your friend paul.

AA
Aaron Cox
here are a few iterations....
user posted image
user posted image

you can go into the fenderwell and up and over the strut.... like some people do......

Aaron Cox
1 bklahkhdfjhdfj
Aaron Cox
fwgtrjkl
Aaron Cox
3e678'[-p
]iuyjgtrf
Aaron Cox
qewrtyuiopiuytr
Aaron Cox
erthjkhgfdasfk
Aaron Cox
user posted image
dion9146
The previous owner of my car ran his radiator lines stright up the middle under the center tunnel. (it was a V8 car) Would have been nifty if there was actually a recess there. I guess his train of thought was that if he bottomed out in this area, he probably had bigger issues than worrying about the cooling lines. However, I would be worried about road junk constantly battering the lines.

Dion
SirAndy
QUOTE (dion9146 @ Jan 4 2006, 08:14 PM)
The previous owner of my car ran his radiator lines stright up the middle under the center tunnel. (it was a V8 car)  Would have been nifty if there was actually a recess there.

there *is* a recess there, along the center tunnel ...

however, for oil lines, i still like the idea to run them outside along the rockers or inside the long or inside the cabin.

in fact, i like inside the cabin, along the pass. side long, the best. put a alu cover over it and you should be safe (and cool) ...

like this:

user posted image

read THIS thread for more info on oil-line routing ...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=2&t=13396

smash.gif Andy
dmenche914
can't agree more with a cover, hot oil under pressure can give a nasty burn, although it is much cooler than radiator fluid, for which you for sure need protection from leaks. Learned from experience, ouch!!! it was hot!!!
GeorgeRud
Running them outside along the passenger side rocker, then up into the gas tank ( as shown on the black photo 2 posts ago) area behind the strut is really easy and you won't burn ourself or your passenger with hot oil lines.
Trekkor
rolleyes.gif

KT
spunone
Tanks for all the pics guys and yes Aaron it's a full flow oil system .Just tryin to figure out my plumbing set up Thanks confused24.gif
Nick
I agreed with the folks that say keep the oil lines out of the passenger area in case something bad happens. Here are some pics of my car:

Nick
another
Nick
final
brant
Especially if you use a sandwhich plate, the passenger side is a natural...

plus, it moves weight over to the passenger side and helps offset the drivers weight.

On the street car, we did outside the longs and up the inside of the front fender. We made a plastic inner fender liner that covers the lines completely so stop any rocks (although i don't think that is absolutely necessary)

brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.