Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is VW doing?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Maltese Falcon
I'd buy one with a sidekarr ohmy.gif
Funny, they exhibited at SEMA in 2005 (first time ever) and forgot to bring this one.
Guys at the VW California Design Haus>> discuss !
Marty
grantsfo
QUOTE (Maltese Falcon @ Jan 4 2006, 09:25 PM)
I'd buy one with a sidekarr ohmy.gif
Funny, they exhibited at SEMA in 2005 (first time ever) and forgot to bring this one.
Guys at the VW California Design Haus>> discuss !
Marty

There is a second seat
user posted image
VaccaRabite
Looks like what BMW did a few years ago with their trike. It never made it past the concept stage though. Will be interesting to see if this actually makes it to production...

Its an interesting idea. I don't know if the local cops would let that pass for a motorbike in the carpool lanes though. At least not in NOVA where I am usually driving.

Zach
joea9146
I would buy one..... With out a doubt smilie_pokal.gif
ken914
If it had a speedster windshield and top then I would consider it as a commuter/fun car also!
solex
Here is an idea, perhaps VW should work on (a) QC of the components they recieve from thier suppliers and (cool.gif Customer Service

davep
A strong resemblence to the Morgan 3 wheelers.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE (solex @ Jan 5 2006, 08:50 AM)
Here is an idea, perhaps VW should work on (a) QC of the components they recieve from thier suppliers and (cool.gif Customer Service

I agree!
Get the gremlins out of the current production cars. VW has a very bad rep right now concerning the quality of its build.

Zach
JmuRiz
QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Jan 5 2006, 06:30 AM)

I agree!
Get the gremlins out of the current production cars. VW has a very bad rep right now concerning the quality of its build.

Zach

They have already worked on that, the QC issues they had were from the cars built in Mexico and Brazil (Jetta and Golf). Those cars are now being made in Germany. Only time will tell though.
I think it's a cool idea, but just a fun car, nothing serious. If you want a bike, get a bike...
Hawktel
Someone beat me to it, but cool, VW reinvented the Morgan 3 wheeler.
rpmmaxxed
QUOTE (ken914 @ Jan 5 2006, 05:34 AM)
If it had a speedster windshield and top then I would consider it as a commuter/fun car also!

agree.gif

I would purchase one if the above was available.
solex
QUOTE (JmuRiz @ Jan 5 2006, 07:24 AM)
QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Jan 5 2006, 06:30 AM)

I agree!

Zach

They have already worked on that, the QC issues they had were from the cars built in Mexico and Brazil (Jetta and Golf). Those cars are now being made in Germany. Only time will tell though.
I think it's a cool idea, but just a fun car, nothing serious. If you want a bike, get a bike...

The QC issues were not restricted to cars built in Mexico or Brazil. My car 03' Passat was built in Germany problems/recalls included but not limited to:

Heater Core (this has been a problem for at least 10 years with all VW's)
Lower Control Arms
Window Regulator
Seat Heaters (that catch fire)
Coil Packs (this effected all 1.8T equipped cars including Audi)
Head lamps
Premature wear of Rear Brake pads (<12K)
Premature wear of Continential Tires (<12K)
JmuRiz
Bummer, my 99.5 A4 is top notch...aside from the large scheduled maint bills...and that's the same as the B5 Passat. Maybe it's the later ones that have the issues. The coil packs on the 1.8T were a big SNAFU.
I still have hopes for the 2.0T GTI cool.gif
VaccaRabite
Is VW still having issues with those coil packs? That was an issue long before I got rid of my VW, they should have fixed it by now.

I loved my VW. It just started falling apart around 100K miles. The engine was solid as a stone, but everyhting was breaking around it.

The trike is cool. I said the same about the BMW one that came out a few ears back. I doubt it ever sees US consumption though.

Zach
horizontally-opposed
This is totally CEO Bernd Pischetreider at work. He's a raving anglophile. drunk.gif

This is why BMW built the Z3 the way it did (which feels a lot like a modern take on an old British roadster in the way you sit over the rear axle), the Z8 (which, disappointingly, feels like what the ultimate Jag XJ would).

Then there's "little" things like the MG/Range Rover acquisition (a total boondoggle, but one that gave BMW help with the X5 and, eventually, the Mini) and placements like the Z8 and 7 series in James Bond films.

All that said, I wish VW would do more things like this.

But it might not happen. Word has it that ol' Bernd wants Piech off his board. Apparently, he didn't know too much about the Porsche/Piech plan to acquire 20 percent of his company until it was too late. He is not happy and has issued nice statements like VW won't change its direction or strategy to accomodate Porsche....

I predict a falling out for him. Again. popcorn[1].gif

pete
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Jan 5 2006, 05:10 AM)

Its an interesting idea. I don't know if the local cops would let that pass for a motorbike in the carpool lanes though. At least not in NOVA where I am usually driving.

Zach

"It opens a new driving dimension, turns even the daily commute to work into a small trip to freedom, allows you to cruise in the carpool lane, even if you’re driving solo (the GX3 is a motorcycle, after all!) "
Rockaria
Maybe they should rethink the three wheel idea...

Maybe? cool_shades.gif
user posted image
VaccaRabite
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Jan 5 2006, 01:15 PM)
QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Jan 5 2006, 05:10 AM)

Its an interesting idea.  I don't know if the local cops would let that pass for a motorbike in the carpool lanes though.  At least not in NOVA where I am usually driving.

Zach

"It opens a new driving dimension, turns even the daily commute to work into a small trip to freedom, allows you to cruise in the carpool lane, even if you’re driving solo (the GX3 is a motorcycle, after all!) "

Yeah. They _say_ its a motorcycle. NOVA cops are legendary in thier ability to craft the law into thier own views. And it does look rather carish.
I suppose what would matter was what kind of liscense the states required you to have to drive it. If you could drive it legally on a motorcycle liscens, then probably not an issue. If not, I'd stay clear of the car pool lanes. smile.gif

Zach
stock93
Cool Concept Car/motorcycle!!!

Solex,
Those are definately things VW needs to work on. I personally have experienced their lack of customer service. I have a customer that they have given bad enough service she wont let them touch her car. They also didn't do most of the work correctly. I had to put a clutch in her car that the dealership had replaced 10K mi before. They forgot to tighten quite a few bolts. They only tightened 3 out of 6 of the pressure plate bolts. The others we're even threaded in all the way. She was telling me the clutch never felt like it was engaging correctly since they put it in. This is only one incidence. There have been several like this with them. VW lost a good customer over that. She will not buy another one due to the service, or lack of, that the local dealership provides.

John
solex
QUOTE (stock93 @ Jan 5 2006, 11:51 AM)
Cool Concept Car/motorcycle!!!

Solex,
Those are definately things VW needs to work on. I personally have experienced their lack of customer service. I have a customer that they have given bad enough service she wont let them touch her car. They also didn't do most of the work correctly. I had to put a clutch in her car that the dealership had replaced 10K mi before. They forgot to tighten quite a few bolts. They only tightened 3 out of 6 of the pressure plate bolts. The others we're even threaded in all the way. She was telling me the clutch never felt like it was engaging correctly since they put it in. This is only one incidence. There have been several like this with them. VW lost a good customer over that. She will not buy another one due to the service, or lack of, that the local dealership provides.

John

John,

I have had similar experiences with the Dealers in my area (NYC/metro) but most of the problems stem from VWOA customer service. Everytime I got on the phone with them to get the leaky heater core fixed I felt that I was talking to a lawyer. It took a year for them to authorized the replacement of the heater core.

My next car will not be a VW for sure.

Dan
johnmhudson111
You can get a Trex today, pretty cool IMHO.

TREX
r_towle
QUOTE (horizontally-opposed @ Jan 5 2006, 01:08 PM)
But it might not happen. Word has it that ol' Bernd wants Piech off his board. Apparently, he didn't know too much about the Porsche/Piech plan to acquire 20 percent of his company until it was too late. He is not happy and has issued nice statements like VW won't change its direction or strategy to accomodate Porsche....

I predict a falling out for him. Again. popcorn[1].gif

pete

The reason that porsche was convinced to aquire its stake in VW was purely a german thing.

VW was open for a foreign body (ford, GM) to come in a buy up that 20% share.

It was for sale...

In Germany there are quite a few laws that make it almost impossible for a company, especially such a large german symbol like VW, to be purchased by foreigh investors...

No investor can hold more than a 20% stake. This is an old law that is still in effect.

Also there are alot of anti-foreign laws about aquiring certain companies...I say that with tongue in cheek....these laws are applied for certain companies...like vw...etc.

It is not a bad thing, but from what I heard, porsche was the only company with similar interests that actually had the cash...merc is still back pedaling from aquiring chrysler..bmw also has lost quite a bit in several recent aquisition that did not work out...

Porsche did this as an investment, and a poor one if you ask me...the return on investment for porsche would have been better if they stuck to trading versus sinking all that cash into vw...

Rich
horizontally-opposed
The so-called "Volkswagen law" in under attack by the EU, and most seem to think it's days are numbered. Then VW would be open to acquisition by outside investors.

Porsche's move was a hedge against this -- and a strategic move to keep another company with interests different than its own from buying into VW and eliminating the partnership Porsche has benefitted from in the SUV field.

Analysts predict that Porsche will save more than one billion euros in future electronics development costs by sharing the R&D costs with VW where possible -- and that's one third of the price of its VW share acquisition.

Bad invvestment? Time will tell. I may disagree with Wiedeking's moves in some areas, but I cannot question his business sense. Still, I get the feeling the main driving force behind all this is our good friend Ferdinand Piech -- who is a whole different kettle of fish entirely.

Can anyone say "Phaeton?" chairfall.gif

pete
redshift
Wish all you want, auto-futurists... MY MOTHER WILL NEVER REDEFINE DRIVING IN THAT FREAKING TRICYCLE!

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.