Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT sort of - need to replace air tank?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Cleaning up my shed I was looking at my 5 lb portable air tank that I have had for over 13 yrs and it is stamped replace after 1997. Is there a reason why I should do this? It works just fine is there a saftey concern because of its age? confused24.gif
Jeroen
these tanks rust from the inside out because there is always moisture in the air they hold
trouble is, you can't see how bad it is from the outside, that's why the manuf. states a replacement date
dmenche914
Depresurize the tank first, there should be a safety valve to do this, and then open the tank via the biggest hole in it (inspection port/drain port, air inlet/outlet) and peer inside with a bright light (make a little light on a wire using a flash light bulb and a battery, then feed it in the hole if hole is too small to see in otherwise) If the tank is rust free inside, and has no other damage (dents, outside rust etc...) the you should be ok to use it. i am assuming it is for an air compressor with a max rating of maybe 150 psi, (higher pressure tanks have other issues like metal fatigue, and they need more sophisticated inspection)

Be sure your pressure relief valve is working at the correct pressure , test by filling tank and using a good gage make sure the relief valve triggers at or just before the rated value for the valve (which must be less than that rated for the tank.

Air tanks periodically need to be drained of water.

Of course my advice is not from an expert, and I can not be certain you are safe in using the tank, use at your own risk and that of others near you. That is my disclaimer to protect my ass if your go blow some one up, but then again, that is what the warning tag on the tank was for anyway. I have no knowledge of the tanks construitcion, wall thickness etc...

If you still have doubt, a fire extingusher refill company might be able to pressure test the tank for you, you have to determine if the cost is worth it.

good luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.