Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alright all you swapaholics....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
horizontally-opposed
These things are MONSTERS in heavy, late-model Mercedes sedans and ragtops. burnout.gif burnout.gif burnout.gif

I suspect one would make a 914 feel about as close to a 917/30 as you could get (with all due respect Marty!). And, at $12.5K, seems pretty cheap for its gem-like quality. shocked[1].gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AMG-E55-KOM...027168551QQrdZ1

Downside, what transmission could take the 500+lb-ft hit -- and fit in a 914?!? My suspicion is that the tranny would cost more than this engine...

Anyway, it's nice to dream -- right MUELLER?!? biggrin.gif

pete
rick 918-S
Thanks Pete... wacko.gif Actually... The front and rear of the motor is neet and tidy. Looks like I could make it fit. idea.gif
Audi Quatro box, cable shifter, hummmm idea.gif

Now see what you started! screwy.gif happy11.gif wavey.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (horizontally-opposed @ Jan 5 2006, 09:18 AM)
Downside, what transmission could take the 500+lb-ft hit -- and fit in a 914?!? My suspicion is that the tranny would cost more than this engine...

why not use the tranny it comes with?

idea.gif Andy
rick 918-S
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 5 2006, 09:41 AM)
QUOTE (horizontally-opposed @ Jan 5 2006, 09:18 AM)

why not use the tranny it comes with?

idea.gif Andy

No half shaft connection... cool_shades.gif
horizontally-opposed
Yep, we need a transaxle not a transmission. I wonder what would take that kind of abuse, though the 914 sure is a lot lighter to push around...

A GT2 transaxle certainly would, but I wonder if it could be made to work in the 914? The good news is the 996 Turbo Tiptronic is a Mercedes 'box -- so the leap from E55 to 996 Turbo Tip to GT2 might not be so bad...

And I suspect selling the transmission this engine comes with would help offset the cost.

pete
Brian Mifsud
Use a C5 Corvette or Porsche 928 Transaxle...

C5 Axle are biased to the rear so fit will be much tougher... can we say 'stretch' 914?
seanery
Couldn't you use Miles' favorite transaxle, the ZF from a Pantera?
bondo
What about the trans from a cayenne turbo S? There must be a way to convert it to 2WD. Heck, why not the cayenne engine too? 520 HP and 530 HP.. that's more, and then it'd all be porsche. smile.gif
Brian Mifsud
Cayenne uses a tranmission rather than a transaxle. Just like an ford or chevy 4x4 with it gets power to the front wheels by using a transfer case.

The Cayenne transmission would really be of no use in a mid engined car, unless someone decided to do a radical 'stretch' on it, then you'd need a differential and axles/suspension BEHIND the transmission
Porcharu
Why not just plop in a new Z06 vette engine? More power and probably smaller and lighter.
Eric_Shea
Should drop right in the wifes old grocery-getter...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.