Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HE's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
Will HI temp silicone work for sealing the ends of the HEs? I also have acsess to a powder coat booth, will the powder coating hold up to the exaust temps.

SLITS
NO
toon1
no on both?
SLITS
I'm not sure on the powder coat....I know it is fragile in that it will chip, but not sure of the temp it will withstand.
TINCAN914
QUOTE (toon1 @ Jan 5 2006, 11:10 AM)
Will HI temp silicone work for sealing the ends of the HEs? I also have acsess to a powder coat booth, will the powder coating hold up to the exaust temps.

No if I remember Lagunero/ Alberto did this, well a buddy did as a surprise as I recall it made a hell of a mess and burned up and stunk up the neighborhood...
MartyYeoman
I know it's ugly, but you could try furnace cement.
I've used it in the past to patch an exhaust manifold on a Ford.
It held up suprisingly well.
r_towle
what do you mean by sealing the ends?

Rich
jhadler
No way on the powder coat. Too hot.

As for sealing the ends? Not the exhaust, but the heat exchanger right? Best bet is to try to weld on some new metal to enclose the end of the HX, silicone won't take it. Maybe some high temp epoxy or cement, but I'd go with welding...

-Josh2
Jeffs9146
what do you mean by sealing the ends?

confused24.gif

This is how you "seal" the muffler to the end of the header! Gasket

Are you trying to close up the gap between the metal and the header on the heatexchanger? If so, adding metal to fill in the gap is about the only thing I would do. Then Ceramic Coat everything.
East coaster
I sealed the heat exchanger to header gaps on my aircraft system with a bead of red high temp silicon and it's held up for 10 years now, give it a try.
Bleyseng
I used red high temp silicon to seal the leaky HE's on my westy. It worked ok,
Matt Meyer
Powder Coating will hold up IF you get a high temperature, thermo-set powder. I think a ceramic powder would be ideal.

Caswell Plating Ceramic Powders
redshift
J B WELD

(sung to the tune of, "What the fuck are you talking about, yo?".)

M
toon1
I am talking about the HE to header. It would be nice to be able to seal them from the elements and keep the air from the heater from going out.
Brando
Go to a friend's house and use his MIG welder to seal them up to stop rattling around.

OR

Head to a local hardware store and grab a MAPP gas system and some welding rod, or a small oxy-acetylene setup and weld it together. Brazing... not so sure. I've had to weld up all sorts of sheetmetal housings on my old Bug, my old 914 1.8 HEs... it's a bitch but it makes the rattling stop and brings back the heat...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.