Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how does cable attach to thermostat?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
7-8 qts in my 4 banger's oiling system. takes forever to warm up......

stock thermostat is good but the cable snapped.... just got a NEW stainless cable off ebay.... and realized "how the crap does it attach to the thermostat?"

and yes my front cooler has a thermostat.... just takes a while to warm up.....

AA
r_towle
a funky nut on the end of the thermostat....

Did you look?

Rich
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (r_towle @ Jan 5 2006, 02:30 PM)
a funky nut on the end of the thermostat....

Did you look?

Rich

nope. burried in my stash at home.... im at school.....

but! i did leave the pulley and pivot screw in place so i wouldnt have a leasky sump tongue.gif
crash914
Hijack....anyone got an extra pulley?
r_towle
yup. I have one.

Aaron, IIRC its a brass nut on the end of the thermostat, with a hole in it...it will be self explanitory once you look at it...I guess either 8mm or 10mm..

Rich
SLITS
QUOTE (crash914 @ Jan 5 2006, 02:37 PM)
Hijack....anyone got an extra pulley?

Have to look, but probably....PM me an address....
Allan
It's a long nut, maybe 3/8th inch. The cable should have a little swag on the end of it. Just feed the cable through the nut and put the nut on the thermostat. Snake the cable around the pulley and up through the sheetmetal. Before you clamp it you'll need to make sure the deflector over the oil cooler is up. Once you has it up just clamp it to the rod.
Aaron Cox
i should clamp it when its down....springs hold it up.....

so when its down (closed) and cold is when thermostat is compressed.....
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (r_towle @ Jan 5 2006, 01:46 PM)
yup. I have one.

Aaron, IIRC its a brass nut on the end of the thermostat, with a hole in it...it will be self explanitory once you look at it...I guess either 8mm or 10mm..

Rich

Steel. 9mm. The Cap'n
Allan
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 5 2006, 02:19 PM)
i should clamp it when its down....springs hold it up.....

so when its down (closed) and cold is when thermostat is compressed.....

You want the flap in the up position when you install the cable because as the thermostat bellows expands as it heats up, the flap will rotate down so when the motor is at operating temp it will give maximum airflow over the cooler.
JoeSharp
Aaron: the bellows pulls on the wire when cold. Had to put one in the freezer to see the difference and it got smaller. The spring should load the flaps to the normal position. Your flaps prolly dont spend 40 hours closed a year.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Aaron Cox
nomenclature confusion...

i was talking about the tab that connects the cable to the flaps...

when it is down (cold) it pulls on that tab
when warm the bellows expands and lets the tab go vertical.... opening the flaps...

cool. so now i know how to attach the cable to the bellows.....

AA
Bleyseng
wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.