Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scooby Exhaust?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mrdezyne
Subaru conversion peeps! What type of exhaust are you running and how do you have it plumbed? I've read of using 2.5" tubing, is that right?

What I have imagined is using the Borla header to 2.5" tubing, into a SpinTech muffler (or similar) and then a center exit tip looking something like the Boxster.

Any pics would be appreciated!

Porcharu
I was thinking something like this user posted image
followed by a cat (after tuning is complete) a muffler pretty much in the stock 914 location with the tailpipe exiting in the stock location.

I have a feeling that the Suby headers are going to hang to low on the 914 and will have to extensively modified or made from scratch.
lapuwali
Fiid is apparently out of town, but his turbo Soob 914 uses all stock Soob plumbing until the turbo. After the turbo, he added a WRX downpipe and welded on a giant fart can. It's quiet enough (the turbo helps a great deal). There's a photo here on the site somewhere, under a breakfast thread. Much of the rear trunk has been cut out of his car, so he had quite a bit of leeway on how to plumb the thing.

ChrisFoley
If someone wants to give me a gutted suby engine attached to a transaxle I can work on a Tangerine Header designed for the application. smile.gif
TonyAKAVW
If someone wants to give me a gutted suby engine attached to a transaxle I can work on a Tangerine Header designed for the application.

I have JUST that sitting in my garage. Sadly I'm 3000 miles away and I'm just doing a 2.5 NA engine.

Anyway, the way I'm going to do my exhaust is buy a set of these from Outback Motors, have a pair of straight tubes (2.5 inch) to the back, curve around into a dual-in muffler and then come out into one exhaust tip. Seems like the simplest way to go...

BTW, those primary tubes are $150 for a pair.

-Tony
mrdezyne
Srbliss, I think you are correct about the header hanging too far down now that I take a look at it. And I don't have to worry about the cat here in OK, no emissions regs (cough cough).

Tony, those primaries look like the cats meow! Fairly tight turn back so they don't hang too low, I like! Now I'm thinking about running a muffler on each side and then coming together in the middle for my center exhaust. idea.gif

I'll try to find Fiid's photo. I'd like to keep the trunk intact if at all possible though.

Brings up another question though. That whole back pressure thing, free flow is the way to go right?
Crazyhippy
Fiid's car is a turbo car... completely different exhaust than the NA cars.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE (mrdezyne @ Jan 6 2006, 11:23 AM)
Brings up another question though. That whole back pressure thing, free flow is the way to go right?

If you are running the scoob turbo, yeah keep it flowing as free as it can be.

In fact, do the same if you are running NA too.

Zach
Porcharu
QUOTE (mrdezyne @ Jan 6 2006, 08:23 AM)
Srbliss, I think you are correct about the header hanging too far down now that I take a look at it. And I don't have to worry about the cat here in OK, no emissions regs (cough cough).

I don't have to worry about smog either, but cats (not kittys) make great resonators and really don't hurt anything.
Porcharu
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Jan 5 2006, 04:11 PM)
If someone wants to give me a gutted suby engine attached to a transaxle I can work on a Tangerine Header designed for the application. smile.gif

To bad you are about as far away as possible - I'd have the engine and trans over to you tomarrow if you were nearby.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.