Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nuts and Bolts for The Beast
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
As I get closer to tackling the construction of The Beast I'm going to be needing hardware. To me, that is going to be one of the most time consuming issues....working on the car and then needing a nut, bolt, washer, etc....

Is there a resource that would tell me what the specifications were for every nut and bolt on a 914 and where I could get them? I don't need them all as alot of the car is now fiberglass and custom, but I'll still need some hardware.

I would like to order what I need and have it in the garage before I start assembly. Once I get going on this thing, I don't want to stop.

Thanks,

Bill P.
propricer
Olanders in Sunnyvale used to be a good source for grade 9 metric, etc.
They can be reached at 735.1850.
Even OSH has grade 8/9 metric stuff now.
Good luck with the beast ...
Mueller
the PET will tell you the specs(grades) of the needed hardware....I do not have a copy, but I understand a licensed version can be had for less than $10 I thought....

nine14cats
where can I get this "pet"?

Bill P.
TimT
McMaster-Carr is your friend also
Aaron Cox
buy a ton of metric fastners..... and just play out of your stash smile.gif
TINCAN914
Elliot was telling me a few months ago that there was a company that sold a kit, did I misunderstand him, or is there such a thing?
It has been a pain gathering a group of screws washers and nuts then driving to the hardware store... I bought a pack of 6-8mm screws, washers and nuts, works well for all the little stuff, but there isn't enoough of what you need and more then what you do..
lapuwali
I believe McMaster-Carr sells assortments. These are great bargains. I bought a big metric bolt/nut/washer assortment, and it lasted me more than 10 years of slowly replacing broken, rusty, or missing fasteners on many cars. You can also get boxes of 100 of commonly used items, like M6 and M8 hex-head bolts and matching nuts.

Note that in the metric world, the Grade 5/Grade 8/etc use different numbers. I no longer remember the format, and don't want to speculate on what it is. M-C's excellent website may tell you.
KenH
Mr. Metric for the nut & bolts and just down the street is - Royal Brass for all the hoses and fittings.

http://www.mrmetric.com/

http://www.rbisj.com/

Ken
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE (bmunday @ Jan 5 2006, 05:17 PM)
Elliot was telling me a few months ago that there was a company that sold a kit, did I misunderstand him, or is there such a thing?
It has been a pain gathering a group of screws washers and nuts then driving to the hardware store... I bought a pack of 6-8mm screws, washers and nuts, works well for all the little stuff, but there isn't enoough of what you need and more then what you do..

Lots of places to find metric hardware. From specialized dealers to your local hardware store. I think I might have mentioned Griots Garage where I bought a kit of metric nuts, bolts and washers. A great help during restoration when you don't have to be constantly running around looking for hardware. Brian, you can also check the Ace hardware store on Lake Forest. They have a huge selection.
Cheers, Elliot
Britain Smith
This is where I got all the nuts and bolts for my car...it is really nice to have all the assorted hardward that you need. I bought a couple of the assorted kits.

-Britain

EagleDay.com
Allan
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jan 5 2006, 04:27 PM)
I believe McMaster-Carr sells assortments. These are great bargains. I bought a big metric bolt/nut/washer assortment, and it lasted me more than 10 years of slowly replacing broken, rusty, or missing fasteners on many cars.

Go this route...

I got lucky because I have a fleet service department that stocks most of the fasteners I need, but my fleet manager said he has bought numerous package fastener kits from them and that it saved him a ton of $$$...
jd74914
PET I believe wink.gif
TINCAN914
QUOTE (Elliot Cannon @ Jan 5 2006, 04:58 PM)
QUOTE (bmunday @ Jan 5 2006, 05:17 PM)

Lots of places to find metric hardware. From specialized dealers to your local hardware store. I think I might have mentioned Griots Garage where I bought a kit of metric nuts, bolts and washers. A great help during restoration when you don't have to be constantly running around looking for hardware. Brian, you can also check the Ace hardware store on Lake Forest. They have a huge selection.
Cheers, Elliot

Elliot, that's it....
You da man!!!!
I have been running to and from Ace, and it's a pain.... I will loook up Griots.
Thanks
jimtab
Bill, if you find yourself in SF stop by the store I work at, Center Hardware, 999 Mariposa...just off the 280 extension. I'll fix you up with what I can...definite price break for "members". Ask for Jim, I'm there most days until 3pm.
Jeroen
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jan 6 2006, 01:27 AM)
Note that in the metric world, the Grade 5/Grade 8/etc use different numbers.

metric grade 8.8 is most commonly used
I've found only very few bolts that are heigher spec (10.9 and 12.8 IIRC)
you can see the grade cast or stamped on the heads of most of your stock bolts
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.