Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dash blinkers not working
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
The front and rear blinkers are working correctly, but the dash lights aren't. When I turn the left ones on, nothing is lit in the dash. When I turn the right ones on, both blinkers in the dash are lit. After searching the archives, it appears to be the flasher relay in the fuse panel. Attached is the fuse panel, is the relay that I need to replace the small square one? Also, notice that this relay has a wire that is connected to two of the prongs, is this correct?

-- Rob
SirAndy
could be a ground problem also. i had to add a dedicated ground wire to my gauge (tach), otherwise, the blinker indicators would both light up dimly together when using the turn signal.

adding a ground wire fixed that ...
wink.gif Andy
watsonrx13
Here's a spare relay that I took out of my parts car, can I swap it? Also, notice that there is a prong missing, is this a problem?

Andy, where on the tach would I add the ground wire?

-- Rob
SirAndy
QUOTE (watsonrx13 @ Jan 5 2006, 03:50 PM)
Andy, where on the tach would I add the ground wire?

at the grounding tab on the housing ... biggrin.gif

there should be (at least on mine) a spare/unused tab on the housing. i simply ran a wire from there to ground ...

dunno about yer relay ...
cool.gif Andy
lapuwali
That's not the flasher relay. The flasher relay is the big square one next to it. I doubt it's the problem, or none of your turn signals would blink at all. Do the lights flash when you use your hazard flashers?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jan 5 2006, 05:03 PM)
That's not the flasher relay. The flasher relay is the big square one next to it. I doubt it's the problem, or none of your turn signals would blink at all. Do the lights flash when you use your hazard flashers?

The silver relay is the headlight relay. The similar relay with 5 wires instead of 4 is the replacement version. The Cap'n
watsonrx13
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jan 5 2006, 08:03 PM)
That's not the flasher relay.  The flasher relay is the big square one next to it.  I doubt it's the problem, or none of your turn signals would blink at all.  Do the lights flash when you use your hazard flashers?

Can't remember off-hand, I'll check tomorrow and post the results. I'll add the ground to the tach to see if that will rectify the problem.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions....

-- Rob
szuccaro
I had this same exact problem for a long time.. finally got around to replacing the flasher relay - problem solved.
watsonrx13
OK, I finally had a chance to work on the blinker problem this weekend. I replaced the flasher unit with another, but there was no changes. Therefore, I next pulled the instrument cluster. When I got access to the wires, I found that the blinker tabs had a jumper wire from the left side to the right side, so I know that's not correct. Now I need to know which colored wire go on the left side and which colored wire goes on the right side. Before anyone suggests I get a Haynes manual, I have one, I just can't figure out the connections reading the wiring diagram. So, if anyone has a photo and/or knows the wires, I would appreicate it.

BTW, this is a '74...

-- Rob
blitZ
I worked on the same problem over the weekend. Tried the additional ground, tried new bulbs, replaced the flasher with no luck. I used a test light on the leads and they just are not getting any juice. I have purchased a couple of new relays to replace one on the fuse board as I am suspicious of one already causing my fresh air fan not to work. I'll let you know if it solves anything.

FYI, I fould this ebay store selling new relays for $15.

$15 Relays
Tobra
Bad relay can do a lot of strange things, check out this threadrelay thread
Joe Ricard
Had that happen to me too.
I ended up putting a Flaps relay in and then both lights lit at the same time. My early tach had two separate indicators and worked independantly. After the smoke was let out of the original I put the other one in.

After I put the Autometer tach in the car I just tucked the stupid blinker indicator lights up under the dash. At night I get a flash on my feet. Oh well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.