Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1st time post - winter maint. questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rrrockhound
Got this 74 2.0 in November. It's my first air-cooled car, so it's like something from Bizarro world as far as I'm concerned. I drive it about 10-15 mins. every weekend if there's no salt on the roads. With the coldest part of the winter yet to come, I won't be able to drive it, so am I better off letting it sit or starting it and letting it idle periodically? I don't want too much crap building up from not hitting full operating temp.
jd74914
don't just idle any car. this builds up moisture in the headers/manifolds/heat exchangers and they then rust even more than they already do. if you are going to run it, get it good and hot wink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Jan 5 2006, 06:56 PM)
don't just idle any car.

agree.gif idle no good ... get her up to operating temps every other weekend, if possible.

no idle warmup.
start her, drive her (easy) until warm, then give her a good workout!
driving.gif Andy
Brew
If you're not going to drive it at all this winter, put it up on jackstands like most of the other people on here! laugh.gif poke.gif It'll keep your tires from developing flat spots.

Drain the oil, and put some fuel stabilizer in the tank, disconnect the battery, and you should be all set.

montoya 73 2.0
so when it comes time to add the oil, what's the best to use and should there be any additive?
rick 918-S
biggrin.gif wavey.gif
pfierb
QUOTE (montoya 73 2.0 @ Jan 6 2006, 12:54 AM)
so when it comes time to add the oil, what's the best to use and should there be any additive?

I don't see any reason to drain the oil,although changing it before you put it away is a good idea any good brand of oil should be O.K. .....oil additives are a waste of money and could be harmful don't pay any attention to all the advertising hype.
Rrrockhound
QUOTE (Brew @ Jan 5 2006, 10:17 PM)
If you're not going to drive it at all this winter, put it up on jackstands like most of the other people on here! laugh.gif  :poke: It'll keep your tires from developing flat spots.

Drain the oil, and put some fuel stabilizer in the tank, disconnect the battery, and you should be all set.

I don't think I won't drive it at all. It all depends on how much it snows. It might sit for 2-3 weeks before the roads are salt-free and I was just wondering whether it's better to let it run during that time or not at all.
seanery
Welcome to the club wavey.gif

I typically let mine sit all winter - well at least when it was a runner laugh.gif Started up like a charm in March smile.gif
montoya 73 2.0
okay, no additives. from what i'm told, driving season in southern oregon is from about may thru october. so i have six months or less of storage time. so, i shouldn't start her up every once in awhile at all?
Rrrockhound
Montoya, don't you get some halfway decent weather at all in the winter? I don't know because I've never been in the beautiful northwest except in summer, but winter can't be as bad as Ohio. Today it was in the 30s here, but the roads were bone dry, so I took the teener for a 30 mile drive. Drove the whee out of it, to blow all the carbon and crap out of the cylinders...it swear the harder I drove her, the better she ran.
montoya 73 2.0
the average temp has been about the mid 20's to the mid 30's so far this winter. were around 3500 feet above sea so it doesn't take much for it to freeze or snow. there have been several days of snow melting and no snow at all so far, but when the snow melts, it freezes over night so it's all about ice skating the next day. besides the shaking of the front end and that little red light flickering in the dash while the car is running, she'll probably rest all winter. after some new tires and fixing the alternator, i will get her out there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.