Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: removing CV from a 930 axle for V8 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr. Roger
i removed the little clip on the axle already but what a beeeatch.

i used my MSFH (medium sized effin hammer) to no avail.

am i doing something wrong??

any tips or tricks???

roger
drive-ability
The only thing that holds the axle in on my 930 trans is the clip you removed. You may have some burs on the splines near the clip grove... It just may need more pressure to remove it.

user posted image
Dr. Roger
it definately does not just slide out.

i'm afraid if i "motivate" it at the wrong place i might screw something up.

where would you hit it? the widest part of the flange?

damn nice pic BTW. biggrin.gif smilie_pokal.gif
got a pic of the whole beast?
Andyrew
What exactly are you hammering??

Cus the shaft is one piece. Im sure you know that. Are you hammering the outer cv away from the shaft?

Dont have any advice, havnt done that before...
redshift
QUOTE (drive-ability @ Jan 6 2006, 02:34 AM)
The only thing that holds the axle in on my 930 trans is the clip you removed. You may have some burs on the splines near the clip grove... It just may need more pressure to remove it.

user posted image

Wuss! Put some freaking oil in that thing!

M
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Jan 6 2006, 12:29 AM)
What exactly are you hammering??

Cus the shaft is one piece. Im sure you know that. Are you hammering the outer cv away from the shaft?

Dont have any advice, havnt done that before...

the only way i know how to replace the boot is to remove the CV joint.

am i blowing it?

is there another way to replace the CV boot?

i honestly don't know squat about 914's. i'm giving myself a crash course over the last year... wink.gif
Gint
I agree that the C-clip is the only thing holding that shaft onto the joint at this point. Well the boot is also to a very minor degree. You need to get it off of the joint. And you got some good advice from drive-ability. Check for burrs before following the suggestion below.

Remove the metal collar of the boot from the cv and move the boot up the shaft and out of your way. Place the joint on the top of your vice with the center section flat on the top and the shaft in between the jaws of your vice just wide enough for the shaft and to allow some play. Get a helper to hold the shaft below the vice to keep it from falling on the floor. Whack your shaft with your MFH. Make sure your square so you don't screw it up. It shouldn't take much, the thing lives in grease.

Here's a caveat BTW. Do not try to hit the outer portion of the CV to remove it from the shaft. You will fu the joint.
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Gint @ Jan 6 2006, 08:01 AM)
I agree that the C-clip is the only thing holding that shaft onto the joint at this point. Well the boot is also to a very minor degree. You need to get it off of the joint. And you got some good advice from drive-ability. Check for burrs before following the suggestion below.

Remove the metal collar of the boot from the cv and move the boot up the shaft and out of your way. Place the joint on the top of your vice with the center section flat on the top and the shaft in between the jaws of your vice just wide enough for the shaft and to allow some play. Get a helper to hold the shaft below the vice to keep it from falling on the floor. Whack your shaft with your MFH. Make sure your square so you don't screw it up. It shouldn't take much, the thing lives in grease.

Here's a caveat BTW. Do not try to hit the outer portion of the CV to remove it from the shaft. You will fu the joint.

thanks mike,

i knew there was a trick to that. this is just like mike muellers custom tool for removing the rear hubs and wheel bearings....

another great trick. =-)

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.