Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Worth It?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tdgray
Being a NEW 914 owner I am not sure what a "correct" set of Fuchs look like and should be size wise etc. Saw these on evilbay. I know I really should get ohhh the engine running, the body work done and ________fill in the blank. But WOW ohmy.gif wouldn't my car look great in the garage with a set of Fuchs on it.... goes real well with the rust color. boldblue.gif

Todd

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2429197683
Part Pricer
Those are not Fuchs. They are replicas.
tdgray
Sorry I should have said that I know they are replicas... but are they worth the money and do they "look" correct.

Todd
Rusty
IIRC, John Larson told me they were painted at the dealership.

Find a look you like, and go for it. The picture in Brett Johnson's book shows wheels with polished "petals" and a satin background.
echocanyons
The differences are weight and durability.

The true fuchs are forged aluminum the replicas are cast(as noted in the ad)

The forged are tougher and lighter.

original ones have been known to go for around 400.00

go for the originals! driving.gif
seanery
AA wants $250 each for the real ones used. HAHA...I want what THEY are smokin'!!
Hi_Fi_Guy
You can usually get a set of the replicas with TIRES MOUNTED for $400+ s/h from most of the mailorder dealers. I am sure they are not the best tires but still not a bad deal for a driver.

If you want originalls try Wheel Enhancement. They sell refinished original wheels and can offer some decent tire prices too.
rhodyguy
todd, the back of the real ones should look like this. back in the day of the catalog aa got what they wanted for them and people paid it. i'll bet they sold tons (as in lbs) of them.

kevin
cgnj
Todd,
Look for wheels that look like this

Fuchs

CGNJ
Aaron Cox
with all that work why not get them cosmetrically balanced ( weight on the inside of the rim????)
cgnj
They are on my roller. laugh.gif

Carlos
EdwardBlume
Aren't the 2.0 Fuchs the lightest factory wheels as well??
Aaron Cox
umm...i thought it was the gasburners....
Rusty
2.0 Fuchs are the lightest 4 bolt wheel.

Mahle Gasburners are the lightest 5 bolt wheel.

-Rusty smoke.gif
seanery
I may have a set of fake fuchs with Continental 196/60/15 tires for sale soon.

pictures at :seanlee.tv
rhodyguy
hammer on weights, placed on the polished outer rim is a trick look tho.

kevin
John2kx
I fell into the trap of wanting a set of nice Fuchs before my car was ready to hit the street as well. Call it a weakness but there's nothing like a nice set of wheels in my opinion.

My advice would be to stay away from the replicas. I paid $150 ea. to have mine professionally polished, $100 for new center caps and about $175 for a new set of lugs. That didn't count the $200 I spent for a do it yourself polishing kit and drill that turned the right rpm. I spent about 30 hours per wheel and still was not satisfied. It was amazing what a pro could do in 1/4 the time with the right equipment and experience.

Yeah I dumped alot of money into my 4 lug Fuchs but liked the finished product. Sold them when I went 5 lug and got $1000 for the set with tires. I don't think you could get the same return for replicas.

John
John2kx
hopefully this pic will attach
Elliot_Cannon
Hi,
I picked up four Fuchs alloys at Pomona last week. $400 including center caps. It seemed about the going price to me. They are a little stained from sitting out so long but I'll clean them up myself and maybe have them profesionally done later.
Cheers, Elliot
Brad Roberts
John..

dont preview your post when adding a pic... it removes the pic.

B
anthony
The worst thing about the replicas to me is the cheesy chrome plastic center cap.
John2kx
Todd,

I'm having a time with pics tonight......maybe this one will attach. I think the pic I was trying to send was too large. If you want to see a better detailed pic, PM me and I'll send you direct email of the wheels I had done.

John
Brad Roberts
Yes.. I set a limit on pic size so people wouldnt have to scroll back and forth on the whole page.

B
Elliot_Cannon
Yikes! $150 a wheel!! Maybe next year.
Cheers, Elliot
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.