Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recommended Spark Plugs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
Looking for the recommended spark plugs for a bone stock 1.7.

Thanks for your advice.

Thanks,
Joe
dmenche914
Bosch W7DC have worked fine in my 1.7 stock engine these are the copper core plugs, they actually seemed to work beeter for me thant eh more expensive Bosche platinum ones.

Aaron Cox
i liked NGK b6es plugs....

TROJANMAN
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 6 2006, 03:47 PM)
i liked NGK  plugs....

x2

$hit, i just agreed with Aaron unsure.gif

biggrin.gif
wertygrog
haha kaos my friend has a little red mr-2 like those in your pic...

fun car! biggrin.gif

brent
Dave_Darling
The W7CC and NGK 6-series mentioned are both decent plugs. Stay away from the Bosch Platinums (regular, +2, +4, whatever) unless they are the very very very expensive ones that use more than a tiny speck of platinum in the electrode. (Which you just about don't find in any parts stores, BTW.) The quality control on the regular platinums is sub-standard, and they have caused all manner of problems in several cars I know.

--DD
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Jan 6 2006, 04:23 PM)
The W7CC and NGK 6-series mentioned are both decent plugs. Stay away from the Bosch Platinums (regular, +2, +4, whatever) unless they are the very very very expensive ones that use more than a tiny speck of platinum in the electrode. (Which you just about don't find in any parts stores, BTW.) The quality control on the regular platinums is sub-standard, and they have caused all manner of problems in several cars I know.

--DD

what kind of problems dave?

aron, i'll get to your pm later...... popcorn[1].gif
Gearhead1432
You can't go wrong with Bosch supers or NGK. The heat range depends on a few things like how you drive it. From what I know the platinum plugs are intended for modern ingnition systems. Of course I don't realy go for all of the special plugs with 4 electrodes or whatever laugh.gif

KaptKaos
Thanks for the replies! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Oh yeah, what gap?
KaptKaos
QUOTE (wertygrog @ Jan 6 2006, 04:19 PM)
haha kaos my friend has a little red mr-2 like those in your pic...

fun car! biggrin.gif

brent

That was for Aaron and his xnineteen.com stuff. I forgot to delete it.
Aaron Cox
ive since gone to an NGK B5ES due to a CDI type ignition with a hot coil...
KaptKaos
Flaps dude says that NGK uses a 4 digit number to identify their plugs now. Cross referened on the NGK site as 7432.

NGK b6es
Gearhead1432
So does Bosch, but the parts house should still have the cross referance. If they don't they suck because the old numbers are still used all of the time.

I worked at Bow-Bow for a while after highschool smile.gif good times
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Jan 6 2006, 04:24 PM)
what kind of problems dave?

Everything from non-functional plugs ("hey, it looks perfect, but it just doesn't spark!") to mysterious no-starts ("it started fine yesterday!) to the little platinum speck coming out of the plug ("is there supposed to be something there?") to the ceramic fracturing inside the combustion chamber.

That last one cost a buddy of mine a 944 engine. sad.gif He "thought" he had fished all of the pieces out, but one got stuck between the piston and the cylinder surface. Drove it for a bit, and it wound up breaking the cylinder wall!!!!

I decline to state how many of these problems have occured to my 914s over the years. (Sometimes it takes me a while to learn, sadly!)

--DD
dmenche914
my problem with Bosch platinums was poor performance, switched back to the copper Bosch, and the probelms went away. Why I do not know, but I have experienced it. The platinum plugs "looked" fine but didn't work well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.