Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cross country trip
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pugbug
I'm thinking of making a trip across Canada, and returning by way of the US this summer...I'm retired, and have lots of time, but I don't want car trouble. I also want a car that is comfortable for extended traveling....I have found a 1990 928 S4 with only 35,000 miles on it for under 20,000 Canadian....Seems like a deal to me.
Will I be happy traveling in this car???
Crazyhippy
If it's been maintained properly... you will love the trip. 928's were made for this trip, they DEVOURE miles at a time biggrin.gif
hotdgr
My suggestion is this:
1. Have a thorough pre-purchase inspection done from somebody that knows his stuff.
2. Note any deficiencies on the report and have them repaired...including the "marginal" issues.
3. If not already a member, join AAA or CAA or whatever the Automobile assn. is called up there. (in case you need a long tow...)
4. Get on all the links you can find like this one, Pelican Parts, PCA, POC, etc. and get as many contacts and their invaluable input as you can.
5. Load the trunk up with a good set of tools and spare "parts" .to get you off the side of the road
6. Buy some good driving glasses cool_shades.gif , gloves and one of those funny little hats and HIT THE ROAD driving.gif .......Have a BALL!!!! biggrin.gif
seanery
I've done several multi-thousand mile trips in my 951, if the 928 is anywhere near as much fun you'll have a blast! driving.gif
Eric_Shea
It's supposedly 'still' one of the best GT (grand touring) cars on the planet.
scottb
how far east are you planning on going? get out toward maine and drop down to PA/MD/VA and you will find a lot of folks with teeners.

let me be the first to extend the invite for a bed and some bbq in MD for you and your traveling companion if our schedules mesh.....

even if you don't make it this way, have a great trip!

driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif
Porsche Rescue
I have owned 5 928's. My current one is an '84 which I purchased in '04 with 42,000 miles. In '99 I had an '87 S4 with 21,000 miles.
In '03 I drove my '81 (had about 75K miles on the odo) on a 2000 mile round-trip to the German Autofest in Ventura, CA. (I too am retired and enjoy long, leisurely trips). Eric has it right (again). At time of production they were deemed the best GT car in the world. None of mine have ever stranded me. Occasional electrical problems (power windows) and minor oil leaks are the worst problems I have had.
However, I wouldn't bother packing more tools than are already in the factory kit. If the car needs more than that, you need a tow to the shop. I would buy that S4 with those miles at that price in a heartbeat. You are headed for a great road trip.
Porsche Rescue
Forgot the pic of my current 928....
michel richard
A friend of mine, from Toronto, bought one for another friend of his, in Victoria. Buying a car for a friend can be dangerous . . . neeless to say he had a thorough PPI done. He then delivered the car to BC without a problem. He says the trip was fantastic.
If you're going North of Lake Superior, you definitely want a car that you'll have confidence in ! Good part about the direction you're taking, is that by the time you get to Ontario you'll have built the confidence up.

Michel Richard
Pugbug
This is the car I will be looking at...Don't really like the colour but other than that....

Joe Ricard
Drove my 78 928 from Cottonwood Az. to Pascagoula Ms. in 3 days 1st leg was about 14 hours in the car. went for a 5K run after the drive before dinner. Next day we did 16 hours stopped in Houston for the night and I swam laps in the pool.

Yea they are Absolutely great cars. mine had Bilstiens and the Weltmiester 400 lb spring package. Actually rode better with the stiffer springs. A 90 model is a work of art and totally refined. Enjoy.
Pugbug
This one is the right color....But older and more mileage.
Pugbug
Just called the owner of the 1990 car. It is a Euro car he imported from Japan.. He has others that he also imported for sale....So no service records, and I'm a bit leary of this deal.
Porsche Rescue
Yes, be leary.
You want a relative low mile (under 80,000 miles) car with good records. Timing belt and water pump replaced at about 45,000. Figure about $1200 US if the car needs it. As I think about it, $16000 US is a bit high anyway. That car should be about $12K, at the most. Frankly, I like the '84 and older cars with 16 valves. Not as complex as the later 32v engines and the belt can break in the 16v cars with no damage. Big $ if it breaks on a 4 valve car. A S4 is still a great car, with more HP, but make sure the timing belt is fresh. And if you can find a GTS ('93-95) at a decent price, go for it. They are the last and best of the breed and are holding their value (some '95's had a sticker of near $90K US).
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Jan 6 2006, 08:38 PM)
Yes, be leary.
You want a relative low mile (under 80,000 miles) car with good records. Timing belt and water pump replaced at about 45,000. Figure about $1200 US if the car needs it. As I think about it, $16000 US is a bit high anyway. That car should be about $12K, at the most. Frankly, I like the '84 and older cars with 16 valves. Not as complex as the later 32v engines and the belt can break in the 16v cars with no damage. Big $ if it breaks on a 4 valve car. A S4 is still a great car, with more HP, but make sure the timing belt is fresh. And if you can find a GTS ('93-95) at a decent price, go for it. They are the last and best of the breed and are holding their value (some '95's had a sticker of near $90K US).

Glad it finally got to this. TIMING BELT! Cam tower problems on a LOT of S4s, too. I'd look for late a 2v car. The Cap'n
jim912928
I currently own a 928. You can drive them all day long and never worry about them breaking down. Mine is a daily driver and twice a week I do the trek from Milwaukee WI to South Bend IN. They just don't break down. However, make sure proper maintenance has been done including regular maintenance of the timing belt and water pump.

This is still one of the best GT's on the road. The real problem you'll have with a 928 on open highways is keeping the speed under 100mph! You can be driving down the road at 100 (you'll think you are at 70), air condition on (and comfy), sunroof open (air doesn't come in...neither does wind noise) and listening to your favorite cd! Oh, and you won't be tired after an 8+ hour haul.

I've put about 40-50k miles on mine in the past several years...not one breakdown!

Also (per the above comment). It is true that US 16V engines are non-interference....however the 16V euro engines are!

Also...it is nice owning what many porsche people think is the other bastard porsche! lol

My baby:
Dougs914
A lot of money for gas 10 mpg.
gregrobbins
Will I be happy traveling in this car???

Oh Yea! smilie_pokal.gif biggrin.gif smilie_pokal.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
jim912928
Mileage...I get 15 in town and 20 on the highway (cruising mostly between 70-80).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.