Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Big Brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sealgray71
Looking to upgrade the stock brakes on my 71....

I have the 5 lug with the Cross drilled rotors.

Open to any sugestions.....

Eric
grasshopper
if you have five lug already, you should have 911 brakes...
TimT
Check the bolt spacing on the front struts. 3.0 your options are less than if 3.5.

Though if you have deep pockets, adapters can be made to fit almost any caliper you want
alpha434
I can make adapters for you. For a good price.

Find out what kind of measurements you need.

Eric_Shea
Find out what kind of brakes you need.

Tires?
Flares?
Engine?

wink.gif
70Sixter
The key is to make sure the brakes will fit inside the wheels you intend to use. Big brakes require big wheels.
Eric_Shea
Big brakes require big wheels.

And a big wallet biggrin.gif

Other items that are not required but should be in place before one decides to run out and get big brakes:

Big Sticky Tires
Big Flares (probably)
Big Horsepower
Big Seat Belts

Here's the test:

Can you lock up your wheels? Y/N - If yes, you don't need big brakes. If no, then move on to the next question.

Have you rebuilt your 30 plus year old calipers, checked your pads, checked your lines, changed your fluid or bled your p-valve in the last 10 years? laugh.gif (OK... in the last year) Y/N - If yes, (and you still can't lock'em up) then you have some serious wheels and/or tires on your car and you might benifit from big brakes. If no, do so and discover the benifits of an awesome brake system, even by today's standards.

It's kinda tongue-n-cheek here. 90% of the people I've spoken with about big brakes don't need them and that money would be so much better spent on other areas of the car.

Get some awesome pads, get some new lines, make sure the calipers aren't sticking, get some new fluid in there.

I believe James or Royce started an informal thread which bore out the fact that 914 brakes don't fade unless they're being seriously tracked.

All that being said, there's surely instances when they're warranted. Remember, the biggest brake in the world isn't going to stop you any faster than the tire will allow.
fiid
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Jan 9 2006, 03:43 PM)
Big brakes require big wheels.

And a big wallet biggrin.gif

Other items that are not required but should be in place before one decides to run out and get big brakes:

Big Sticky Tires
Big Flares (probably)
Big Horsepower
Big Seat Belts

Here's the test:

Can you lock up your wheels? Y/N - If yes, you don't need big brakes. If no, then move on to the next question.

Have you rebuilt your 30 plus year old calipers, checked your pads, checked your lines, changed your fluid or bled your p-valve in the last 10 years? laugh.gif (OK... in the last year) Y/N - If yes, (and you still can't lock'em up) then you have some serious wheels and/or tires on your car and you might benifit from big brakes. If no, do so and discover the benifits of an awesome brake system, even by today's standards.

It's kinda tongue-n-cheek here. 90% of the people I've spoken with about big brakes don't need them and that money would be so much better spent on other areas of the car.

Get some awesome pads, get some new lines, make sure the calipers aren't sticking, get some new fluid in there.

I believe James or Royce started an informal thread which bore out the fact that 914 brakes don't fade unless they're being seriously tracked.

All that being said, there's surely instances when they're warranted. Remember, the biggest brake in the world isn't going to stop you any faster than the tire will allow.

agree.gif I violently agree.

Except.... if whatever you are doing to your car is getting you brake fade. If that's happening - then you may also need to uprate your stuff.
Eric_Shea
If that's happening - then you may also need to uprate your stuff

True beerchug.gif
brant
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Jan 9 2006, 04:43 PM)

Eric,

you forgot one factor...
the brag factor.

but I want to add a comment regarding tracking stock brakes. I SERIOUSLY believe that if you have done all of the proper things (pads, fluid, rebuild, race tires) and your getting brake fade on the track in a stockish (110hp) car.....

Then you ain't driving it right!

seriously, if you have a stockish car on the track you will not fade the brakes once you learn how to drive it right. By right I mean fast. The fast way to drive a -4 on the track involves not using the brakes that much. The people that fade a stock brake system on the track are WAY overusing them. The point is that you could get a brake to overheat in an EXTREME situation, but you should not.

I wouldn't think it could ever happen on the street either unless being driven wrong. For example dragging your brakes all the way down a 7% grade for 5 miles.... that could probably cause brake fade, but should never be done.

brant
Eric_Shea
(110hp) car.....

Hilarious... I almost put that in my reply. That's my dividing line, 110hp and you'd better have some serious tires.

Good input Brant.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.