Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Assembly Problems!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TeamAxisRacing
hello i was wondering if some of you engine builder guru's have some ideas what can be wrong with my 1.7liter W code motor i tryed calling brad roberts and jake raby but both didnt answer confused24.gif

so heres the dealio.. the case is together. cam is lined up correctly and the crank bearing pins are lined up (far as i can tell i did it 5 times!) everything was going fine and i was starting to torque the case half bolts and checking the rotating assembly. now there is a point in the rotation where it binds screwy.gif flip it back around about 650-700 degrees and it hits the same spot. sitting there with a flash light i couldnt see any of the conrods or counterwights hitting the case or cam. so i undid all the bolts and nuts to see if it was just the case being tweeked but its not.

now there is quite a bit of endplay since i dont have a flywheel on the assembly but i really dont think that will cause this problem with the rotating mass.

so any suggestions? im going back out too the shop to play with it tommarow thanks... popcorn[1].gif headbang.gif
r_towle
bearings.

Place your bearings into the case with no crank.

Torque the case together and check to see if they are still round...they wont be...

Or, place them in the case halves and measure the amount that is sticking out of the case half...

You may need to machine a bit off of each end of the bearing...

Or you might want to get new bearings...your choice.

Rich
Bleyseng
Hammer Time! smash.gif
sean_v8_914
put the flywheel on with the 3 shims, no o-ring, no rear seal. see if it turns freely with the flywheel in place.
without the flywheel in place, teh crank will move fore and aft causing it to bind slightly.
dmenche914
Since you state the jamming happens at about every two revolutions (720 degrees) suspect the jam is in the valve train, oil pump, or distributor drive. the cam turns at half the rate of the crank, so two crank revolutions mean one cam revolution hence one valve train cycle. Driven by the cam is the oil pump, same thing, two revs on the crank give one rev on the oil pump.
The dizzy is driven off the crank, but the gear ratio is also two to one, two crank revs to spin the distributor once.

So my bet is cam gear, oil pump, valve train or distributor drive. could be bad part, junk in the way or what ever.

good luck
sean_v8_914
dmenche914's logic is good. it is in that area but try it with the flywheel first before you tear it down. if it does not feel 100% RIGHT tear it down and inspect. you should be test fitting everything before final assembly anyway.
Bleyseng
no oil pump or dizzy drive installed yet. We were gonna try the flywheel on it in the morning as I had the same problem IIRC bout two months ago....
sean_v8_914
how come all the good engine building parties are so far away
KenH
If you changed the CAM gear - see if the bolts are hitting the oil pump.

Ken
Bleyseng
yes, new cam gear but the oil pump isn't in yet! I keep lookin inside to see if the crank cheeks are rubbing the case as its pretty loose for and aft. We'll add the flywheel and see how that goes....

early case with a windage tray but no way toseal it as it doen't have the cast in shelf. dry.gif

Should make a nice 80hp drooley.gif

shocked[1].gif
sean_v8_914
icon_bump.gif
what is teh virdict?
eeyore
QUOTE (sean_v8_914 @ Jan 6 2006, 10:03 PM)
how come all the good engine building parties are so far away

You could come over to my house, if'n you really want to. I've started on my 2316 kit.
Bleyseng
QUOTE (sean_v8_914 @ Jan 7 2006, 08:44 AM)
icon_bump.gif
what is teh virdict?

Too early here to drive over to the shop/garage! I'm just drinking my morning coffee

I am sure Blair isn't up yet as he went out last night with the GF......

If you are inviting me down and have a room to stay in San Diego, I'm there!

too much rain up here lately. dry.gif
TeamAxisRacing
ugh i just got up at 1pmwe;ll see what happens slap.gif
Bleyseng
Bring my tools by!!!!
ohyeah, I have the keys, dude. yawn.gif
Brad Roberts
Call me again. I was out at 5am this morning on a exotic car fun run. I'm back at the shop.

Is the oil pump in it? If it is.. one of the bolt heads is hitting the oil pump.

B
KenH
Hey B - Pick another one - Ken already got that one.

Ken
Bleyseng
I just saw Blair and he is going out to the shop.
No, the effin oil pump isn't in yet!

He is going to try putting the flywheel on now with some shims to see if that corrects the problem. Maybe the cam gear has a pos stuck on it......
TeamAxisRacing
heres a pic of the block..

i took the case apart today after talking to brad on the phone. put it all back together and torqued and it works fine now. i didnt see any problem definitly wierd stuff slap.gif
TeamAxisRacing
durka durka pray.gif
TeamAxisRacing
shocked[1].gif
DNHunt
You guys coming down for the FI tomorrow? If so I'll dig through the stuff.

Rides are available. boldblue.gif

Dave
TeamAxisRacing
yeah dave i will be trying to..... ill pm you here in a sec rides available alrighty!! w00t.gif
Bleyseng
QUOTE (TeamAxisRacing @ Jan 7 2006, 06:43 PM)
shocked[1].gif

How the motor get so clean? damn, you have been polishing everytime since you had to trial assemble it 5 times?
WTF.gif

Did you find the shims as it looks like the flywheel is on.

Gawd, I ate too much again...two effin parties in one night. barf.gif

Oh, DimSum at 11AM at Jade Garden w/ Joe and others.
TeamAxisRacing
dim sum score! drooley.gif i found the shim pack but that was trial fit. i have to go buy the correct sized flywheel bolts at hardwicks and go to daves and hangout with courtney and watch the giants game and work on my motor.... whew tommarow looks like beer3.gif + drunk.gif = yellowsleep[1].gif
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE (TeamAxisRacing @ Jan 7 2006, 06:40 PM)
heres a pic of the block..

i took the case apart today after talking to brad on the phone. put it all back together and torqued and it works fine now. i didnt see any problem definitly wierd stuff slap.gif

Assembly Gremlins happy11.gif
Bleyseng
There is a bag of brand new flywheel bolts on the shelf.......I doubt Hardwicks has the special bolts. dhead.gif
cgnj
put the flywheel on with the 3 shims, no o-ring, no rear seal. see if it turns freely with the flywheel in place.
without the flywheel in place, teh crank will move fore and aft causing it to bind slightly

Not a gremlin, cam locking up on drive gear because of endplay. It wants to hop out if the crank is moving.

Carlos
Jake Raby
hello i was wondering if some of you engine builder guru's have some ideas what can be wrong with my 1.7liter W code motor i tryed calling brad roberts and jake raby but both didnt answer

Thats because I'm no longer available by phone............
Bleyseng
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Jan 9 2006, 07:07 AM)
hello i was wondering if some of you engine builder guru's have some ideas what can be wrong with my 1.7liter W code motor i tryed calling brad roberts and jake raby but both didnt answer

Thats because I'm no longer available by phone............

I wondered Jake.......I didn't get the memo.
Jake Raby
I had to do something... One day 3 weeks ago the phone rang 77 times.

It's pretty obvious that I need a PR person, boy do I feel sorry for that bastard!
Bleyseng
On the flip side, she could have a nice southern accent to smooth over problems......... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.