Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear engine seal install help wanted
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dion9146
I'm looking for a little advice and some opinions. This may be a pretty unique issue, but you never know.

I've had to reweld and repair all of the engine shelves in my teener due to the previous owners V8 install. That's all done, and I have a new rubber seal for the right side thanks to Glenn Sager. Glenn also supplied a new rear seal, but here's the catch, the previous owner also cut off the U shaped mounting channel that this seal goes into. He did a nice job - you can't even tell that there was ever a channel there.

So now I want to remount the rubber seal, and I'm looking for opinions on how you all would go about doing that. The options I could think of would be:

- long rivets through the thick mounting section of the rubber
- high strength multi-surface glue
- reweld another channel on there (where do I find that?) sad.gif
- make a channel out of some other material and attach (aluminum?)

thanks for any help or ideas,

Dion
goose2
Maybe you could find someone with a parts tub willing to cut that section off for you....easy cutting with a plasma cutter. I don't think rivets or glue would work so hot. A good sheet metal shop might be able to fab a channel too.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (goose2 @ Jan 7 2006, 10:47 AM)
Maybe you could find someone with a parts tub willing to cut that section off for you....easy cutting with a plasma cutter. I don't think rivets or glue would work so hot. A good sheet metal shop might be able to fab a channel too.

agree.gif

do it once.... do it right...
jet1
"- reweld another channel on there (where do I find that?)"

I know tweeks has the left and right side channel, but i have not seen the rear anywhere.
SLITS
If you can wait a bit, we'll look at a couple of parts cars and see if that channel is easily removed. Yeh, they're Glenn's parts cars.

should be able to access the situation tomorrow (Sunday).
dmenche914
Try HPH in redwood city , CA they have lots of part cars, and can cut one for you.
Or try Restoration Design, they make repro engine shelfs with the channel, maybe they can sell you some lenth of channel for this, that would be best as it would be new clean metal.
or try some VW sources, the channel detail on the rubber appears to be the same as that on VW bugs, and some other of the aircooled VW's

A new channel is the best way to go, secure, non leaking, and factory looks.

I'd try restoration Design first, they have been very helpful in both my 914 and 356 restorations in suppling good new metal. and they are real nice folks.

good luck
r_towle
We made one...it is not to hard.

Get some thin metal and cut it about 1.25 in wide in long strips.

Bend it over with hammer/rod...put the rod inside and bend it over...

Then we just tacked it every 4-6 inches...works great.

Use thin metal , we used 18 guage which was all we had that day and it took quite a bit of work to get it to bend the way I wanted...

It can be done with just a hammer, vice grips and some time...and its cheap.,and new

Rich
dion9146
Thanks guys. I'm going to try to fab my own channel, and if that doesn't work, I'll start looking at scourcing the channel.

Dion
Al Meredith
I think we bought some from AA about 7 years ago . Try AA
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.