Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HP-6 oil filter before front cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Luke M
Just got this HP-6 in for the 914-6 conv.
I'm going to mount it so that the return line from engine goes to the HP-6, to an oil T-stat, to front oil cooler, then back to oil tank. I talked to a few people and they seam to think that the HP-6 is to big for my use and said the HP-4 would be better.
I know I've seen the HP-6 used on 914-6's ( 914 RS to name one ) so it must work. What do you guys think????
Luke
swl
Looking forward to hearing the collective wisdom on this one. How can an oil filter be 'too big' as long as you have space for it huh.gif
Luke M
How can an oil filter be 'too big' as long as you have space for it .

Thats what I thought. unsure.gif

bd1308
FRAMs are worthless....

b
Luke M
icon_bump.gif

Anyone with info?? headbang.gif
bondo
Aren't filters usually on the pressure side of things? I have no dry sump experience, so maybe this is way off.. but it seems like if the filter starts to get clogged, and it's on the return side, it could lead to a dangerous buildup of oil in the sump due to the extra restriction. Common sense tells me that the return line should be as restriction free as possible.
TimT
In a dry sump systems there are two seperate oil systems. One (scavenge side) removes the oil from the pan/case, filters it, cools it. The cooled oil is then returned to the other oil pump circuit (pressure) where it is used to lubricate the engine.

So there is a pressure side of the scavenge system, this is what pumps the oil to the filter, cooler, dry sump tank. Typically the first thing you want hot oil to see is a filter. This may help if you have an engine grenade, and may prevent contamination of the rest of the oil system.

Its a pain in the coconuts, when you have an engine let go and you find bits of bearing etc in the oil cooler.. That means you have to pull all the oil lines, clean or possibly just replace them. Open the cooler and super clean it then reinstall all the above.

Fram filters have got a bad rap lately.. do a search. I have Canton filters and Racor/oberg filters in my rides.
Luke M
Yup, I've heard of the Fram filter problems. The Hp-6 has a burst pressure rating of 400 psi and can flow 10 gpm. When it comes time to replace the filter I'll pick up a K&N , Mobil or ?
Luke
bd1308
mahle?

b
Series9
Yes, I'm using one. I don't think you can go too big on the scavenge side.
East coaster
Is this in addition to the stock oil filter on the oil tank, or are you running a non-stock tank????

If it's in addition to the stock filter, why??
Luke M
Yes, its an addition to the filter on the oil tank. The reason I'm adding the hp-6 is to filter the oil before the front mount oil cooler. I have a pic some where, when I find it I'll post it here. 914 rs have you had any problems with the Fram hp-6 filter leaking or ?
Luke
Series9
QUOTE (Luke M @ Jan 9 2006, 08:56 PM)
914 rs have you had any problems with the Fram hp-6 filter leaking or ?
Luke

No leaks. Here's an early picture before the car was flared/dipped/painted.
Series9
It's a big filter:
Series9
The supply was changed to -16

Last:
Luke M
I'll run the hp-6. It may be a little large but I'll make it fit. smile.gif

Luke
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.