Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning garage floors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Anybody got a sure fire way to clean heavy oil stains off of concrete?

I've tried Goof off, Simple Green, Ajax, Carb cleaner, Brake cleaner and even some stuff I got today that's used for cleaning/etching concrete to prep for paint.

Still got these little dark spots. headbang.gif
szuccaro
Better solution: have the floor expoxy coated
Allan
QUOTE (szuccaro @ Jan 7 2006, 01:59 PM)
Better solution: have the floor expoxy coated

That's what I want to do, but I think it will stick better without oil under it.
TINCAN914
I had mine epoxy coated, did it myself. It came out pretty well but has not held up real well. Carb cleaner has a tendency to lift the paint... Anyway the way I etched the concrete was using muratic acid.. Dilute and a good wire brush on a broom handle..
Allan
The only problem with Muratic acid is that it wont cut grease and oil. I've tried it and it just rolls right off of it.
r_towle
start with cat litter.

put it on and let it sit overnight

Then remove that, put on a fresh load of cat litter and get down on your hands and knees with a 12 inch 2*4 and grind that litter into the stain...

you will see it lighten up each time you do this...

Bleach or acid after that process.

Rich
TravisNeff
Castrol super clean, a scrubbrush and an afternoon. It iwll do wonders if you are willing to work for it.
sj914
How well does the epoxy coating hold up to floor jacks and jack stands sliding around?
736conver
TIde laundry soap.
I had some spots I wanted to get rid of. So I tried some laundry soap and it worked pretty good. I poured it on directly, moved it around with a broom, then add some water, scrub a little more and rinse. The tougher stains I let the soap sit on it longer.
Works like a charm.
GaroldShaffer
I have had good luck with this product. I seen it on one of the car TV shows last year sometime. Pretty simple to use, just pour it over the stain, let it dry (4 -8 hours) and just sweep it up.
boxstr
Allan I have used Pour and Restore on oil stains on my garagwe floor in Palm Desert. It really worked great.Then when you have it all cleaned up put one of these floors down.
CCLINLAYINTILE
Aaron Cox
"white gas" does a superb job of lifting oil....
Allan
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 7 2006, 07:02 PM)

That's the stuff my Dad would tell me to run in the lawn mower when I was a kid.

Never knew what the hell he meant. confused24.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Headrage @ Jan 7 2006, 09:31 PM)

That's the stuff my Dad would tell me to run in the lawn mower when I was a kid.

i think its kerosene.....

i got it at a camping store.... coleman brand white gas
VaccaRabite
Actually, white gas is usually just Amaco Ultimate. It is not K1.
I found that out while looking for fuel (white gas) from my coleman stove just after Hurrican Ivan had done a number on Baltimore, and no one had any white gas on stock for a month or so afterwards.

Zach
rick 918-S
QUOTE (r_towle @ Jan 7 2006, 02:16 PM)
start with cat litter.

put it on and let it sit overnight

Then remove that, put on a fresh load of cat litter and get down on your hands and knees with a 12 inch 2*4 and grind that litter into the stain...

you will see it lighten up each time you do this...

Bleach or acid after that process.

Rich

agree.gif Floor dry. I crush it into the floor with my shoe until it's powder, then use tide and a stiff broom. Cement mix works too.
smg914
QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Jan 7 2006, 08:38 PM)
Actually, white gas is usually just Amaco Ultimate. It is not K1.
I found that out while looking for fuel (white gas) from my coleman stove just after Hurrican Ivan had done a number on Baltimore, and no one had any white gas on stock for a month or so afterwards.

Zach

Amoco crystal clear ultimate is only available in certain cities of the US. I always used Amoco because I thought it was white gas until one day I was pouring it in my fuel cell in my race car and noticed it was yellow. I did some investigation on the internet and found out that crystal clear Amoco is only available in large cities that have air polution issues. Check out your nearest BP/Amoco station and you won't see the words "Crystal Clear" being used anymore.
pfierb
QUOTE (Headrage @ Jan 8 2006, 12:31 AM)

I think it also can do a superb job of exploding, in an enclosed area....if you are not careful..... of course then you wouldn't have to worry about the oil stains.
ken914
laquer thinner does a great job also.
TINCAN914
QUOTE (sj914 @ Jan 7 2006, 05:03 PM)
How well does the epoxy coating hold up to floor jacks and jack stands sliding around?

Mine has held up very well. The carb cleaner has done the demage, combined with the brake fluid.
I have dragged my table saw, frig,and cabinets on the floor and no problems. I did it myself. Used a kitmade by Rust Oleum, been berry beery gud to me... biggrin.gif I think it was about $85.00 per gallon. Included epoxy hardner and fleck chips. Twogallons covered a medium sized two car garage.

The diluted muratic acid worked for me for etching the floor.When I cam across heavy oil, and paint, I used a wire brush, and in some cases a putty knife. For heavy spots, Ipoured it straight on the spot and let it go to work..
For what it's worth.
rhodyguy
dampen the floor, spread the soap, work it in with a stiff brush and let it sit awhile. after the laundry soap, buy a gallon of white wine vinegar and spread it around. pour it on on full strength. mildly acidic, it will etch the concrete, your garage will not explode, and you won't need a respirator.

k
ChrisReale
I had the same problem, and this is what worked for me. Pour "Gunk GP" general purpose degreaser onto the stain, scrub a bit and put kitty litter over it and let is sit overnight.

Pour and restore didn't do a thing for my HEAVY stains. Neither did the auto store floor cleaners.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.