Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More 3.3 turbo stuff...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mugs914
Finally back to it after the Holidays...

Well, the Patrick Motorsports cable shifter that I've been waiting for finally showed up at my door.

THIS THING IS COOL!!!

Those of you who have seen theese things know what I mean. Top notch parts. It fits perfectly and, to be honest, I was a bit surprised at how crisp the shifts are.

Here are a few pics. The cables are not routed through the bulkhead yet, but it'll only take an hour or so to cut the holes and make the support bits.
Mugs914
I had originally planned on using a modified Fabcar shifter and built the mount for that into the tub. Rather than start over, I fabbed the new mount to fit what was already there. It puts the shifter up near the wheel where I like it. Gives a nice "fomula car" feel...
john rogers
My God Mike, you're scaring me!!!!! That is sure looking great!
Brew
agree.gif
Mugs914
Here's a pic of the shifter itself. Direct cable for fore and aft, bellcrank arrangement for side-to-side. Nide and smooth too!
Mugs914
From the top... The grip was turned from an old MOMO Knob. Competitzione model, or whatever they call it...
Mugs914
Here's the pic...
Mugs914
At the rear, it's all just a bolt-on. Bracket attaches to the trans "nose cone" studs and around the shaft with a "U" bolt. Perfect fit!
Mugs914
Other side...
Mugs914
QUOTE (john rogers @ Jan 7 2006, 04:31 PM)
My God Mike, you're scaring me!!!!! That is sure looking great!

Thanks guys!

Slowly coming together, it is....
john rogers
Some people have grumbled and complained about Patrick's prices, but his hardware is about the best around for what it does.
TimT
Why is the tach at 8000 rpm? New break in techniques? rolling.gif

the car looks great !! beer.gif
Mugs914
QUOTE (john rogers @ Jan 7 2006, 05:19 PM)
Some people have grumbled and complained about Patrick's prices, but his hardware is about the best around for what it does.

I agree John, when you see his stuff up close, you realize his prices are VERY fair.

When you compare the price of this entire system at around 700 bucks to the Fabcar shifter at around 900, it almost looks cheap!

Okay, not really cheap, but a great price for what you get. wink.gif
Mugs914
QUOTE (TimT @ Jan 7 2006, 05:28 PM)
Why is the tach at 8000 rpm? New break in techniques? rolling.gif

It makes it much more realistic when you sit in the car and make engine noises!

driving.gif "braaAAHHHH-um, BRAAAHHH-um, WAAAAAMMMBubububah....."
Eric Taylor
What kind of tranny?
Mugs914
Its a Porsche G-50/52 configured to run inverted. The trans and engine are from a '91 turbo.
Maltese Falcon
Mike, excellent progress...keep the pics coming ! Patrick's stuff is worth every dime--well engineered things you would'nt pay yourself to figure out.
BTW , B&M products (OE supplier to Porsche) also makes cable shifters, short shifters for the aftermarket. The unit you are using may be an adaptation of a B & M.
Keep up the good work biggrin.gif
Marty
rpmmaxxed
looks awesome man. wonder how that shifter feels bein so close to the wheel.
Aaron Cox
i understand the fore aft cable. how does the belcrank work to get side to side withouthaving the cable come out at 90 degrees (like the trans side of things)

just curious

AA
Mugs914
Hey Aaron,

Okay, here's an attempt at a diagram of the bellcrank thing.

The yellow part is the shaft that rocks side-to-side with the shift lever. Note the little arm forward of the stick.

The linkage (green) connects the yellow arm to the bellcrank (blue) which moves the cable (white). The red lines are the axes upon which the various bits rotate.

Hope this makes a little sense, anyway...
Aaron Cox
got it now, thanks mike!!! smilie_pokal.gif
soloracer
Exactly what parts came with his linkage kit? I have a Rennshifter and 915 transmission converted to sideshift. I'm in the market for a linkage and think this is the way to go. I was just wondering what came with the kit and what you built yourself.
boxstr
test
CCLINTESTING
Mugs914
QUOTE (soloracer @ Jan 8 2006, 10:05 PM)
Exactly what parts came with his linkage kit? I have a Rennshifter and 915 transmission converted to sideshift. I'm in the market for a linkage and think this is the way to go. I was just wondering what came with the kit and what you built yourself.

The Patrick set-up comes with everything; shifter, cables, rear bracket and shift rod cap. And it all comes fully assembled! aktion035.gif

The only bit I made were the mounting bracket (outlined in the pic) and the shift knob (It comes with a round shift knob). Patrick also sells a bracket that bolts in the stock location and holds the cable shifter an about the stock position.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.