Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Working on the 914 all afternoon
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trevorg7
Finally had time to do some stuff to my 914 today.

Put Dynamat on the firewall; PO removed the pad.

Bought now speaker ports and door pannels from morphenspectra; nice stuff.

Check out the pics.

T

Before.....
Trevorg7
during....
Trevorg7
after...
Trevorg7
bonus...
Trevorg7
other side before...
Trevorg7
after...
Trevorg7
Dynamat on firewall

T
Trevorg7
huh.gif ok suspense over here is the pic.

T
jim_hoyland
Very nice; what size/type of speakers ?
Trevorg7
Thanks Jim - Speakers are built by Dual. Not sure about them but they have blue tweaters so they match the car wink.gif They are 6.5.

T
scottb
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

looks great.....!!!

james offers up some very nice items..... it have a few myself!
MoveQik
I like the vintage-look plain vinyl on the doors!
Trevorg7
Thank guys - forgot to mention I did the window squeegees and inner widow fuzzy seals too.

T
maf914
Looks good. Have you had a chance to drive your car since doing this work? I'm curious if the Dynomat reduced engine noise in the cockpit?
Allan
Have you driven the car since you installed the dynamat? Difference?
ruddyboys
I'd be afraid some one would ruin the speakers with their feet, other wise looks great
Trevorg7
Yes - I have driven the car.

Of course I did the obligatory post work test drive past Dan(Almaden Valleys) house boldblue.gif . Everything worked.

So the real test was the drive in to the office today; 42 miles with 30 being freeway miles. From the seat-of-the-pants decibel meter there is a clear difference. I would describe the difference as a muted difference verses a reduction in sound difference but certainly a reduction in overall db's. I was able to listen to the radio at a lower volume at the same freeway speeds as before but remember I moved my speaker positioning too so that might contribute. The bigger test for me was I was able to hear the phone conversation I had on my way in to the office much better than I could before.

All in all I am please and it did make a difference. I bought enough Dynamat to the inside of the firewall (inside cab) too. That will be done later.

Heat transfer difference was a bit harder to determine. I would like to think it made a difference.

Hope this helps.

Trevor
70Sixter
QUOTE (Trevorg7 @ Jan 9 2006, 12:54 PM)
All in all I am please and it did make a difference. I bought enough Dynamat to the inside of the firewall (inside cab) too. That will be done later.

Hope this helps.

Trevor

I was gonna ask why you chose the outside of the firewall. My car had no pad, so intent is to add Dynamat to inside. Look forward to your comments and maybe pics when you do the inside.

BTW speaker enclosures look custom. Are they?
Trevorg7
I choose the outside because it seemed that the dynamics of the insulation would work better that way; shinny or reflective side toward the heat source. My car also had no pad when I got it.

I'll certainly post pics of the inside once underway.

The speaker ports, and door panels too, are from morphenspectra. The speaker ports are fiberglass, come painted black, and fit perfectly. I did add a spacer as my speakers were too deep and would interfere with the heater hose. They are nice though.

morphenspectra can be found in the 914 Resources, Parts and Products section of our site under the name 914 Appearance and Performance.

T
Trevorg7
ruddyboys - yeah I hear you. I actually kick the speaker all the time when they were in the door while getting out. They now seemed out of the way enough.

T
blitZ
Looks nice!!

I've become a fan of the newer sound insulation. It's lighter and seems more effective. I did my interior and didn't think about the engine side. May have to do that next. I used Fat Mat, it's like Dynamat, and less $$.

Trevorg7
blitZ - looks great. How effective has the insulation been on the inside? I was going to do that next.

BTW - I like the color of your teener!

T
blitZ
Pardon the hijacked.gif

I didn't do a decibel test or anything. I did drive with the top on for the first time last week, since I got it and it's fairly quiet considering I'm missing a few seals.

That's actually blue primer, hopefully get a coat of Anacona Blue this spring.
maf914
BlitZ,

Did the backpad fit okay with the Fat-mat in place? Did you put the Fat-mat over the original tar-mat? I don't know if all years were the same, but my 76 has a tar like mat, about 1/8" to 3/16" thick, attached to the firewall under the backpad.
blitZ
I removed the original tar mat, all 50lbs of it. The newer materials are much thinner, 1/4 inch or less. Had no problem getting the backpad reinstalled.
Trevorg7
No worries about the hijacked.gif

Thanks.

T
blitZ
QUOTE (Trevorg7 @ Jan 10 2006, 08:49 AM)
No worries about the hijacked.gif

Thanks.

T

Meant to ask, is that an original color, which one?
Trevorg7
Its close; not sure if its exact or just showing its age but it definately has at least one repaint. Looks good from 20 feet.

L50E - Adriatic Blue

T
blitZ
I received a PM asking where I got the sound deadener, thought I would share with the masses. They have a deal where you get 36 sq ft for $50, which is cheapest I have seen.

Fat Mat
Hammy
Did any of you happen to use the sound deadener material inside the doors? PO put speakers in the door panels so I figure it'll cut down on the some of the rattling/buzzing.
Trevorg7
I did not. By removing the speakers from my doors, adding new weather strip seals, new door panels, and tightening the screws on the door hardware my rattles are gone.

I guess it would have been cheaper to do the insulation but not as thorough.

T
blitZ
I haven't as of yet, but I may. Had quite a bit of material left over. I'm going to replace my brokey inside door handles and replace the missing vapor barrier. Probably be a good time to do it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.