Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A solid day of welding
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
East coaster
Buried myself in the garage today and managed to get my last GT flare attached and even got to a few rust spots.........the project progresses clap.gif

Here's the passenger front (and the last) flare being tacked on:
East coaster
nuther.....

East coaster
clamps removed and more welding.....

East coaster
nuther....

lincoln
looks good

and to think i almost bought that same welding hood lol
East coaster
Took a flat body file to the top of the flare to highlight the ripples (shiney spots) that you get with AA flares. It helps mark them and then it's hammer and dolly time to work them out. smash.gif
East coaster
Took care of a couple of rust spots also. Here's a nice hole in the bottom of the drivers rear quarter panel.

before.........
East coaster
and underneath...........

East coaster
after........

East coaster
and under....

East coaster
Made a commitment to Sirius radio too...........welded up the am/fm antenna hole!

East coaster
Repaired a wierd rust spot at the front bumper mount (dog bone). This was a pain in the ass, it's three layers thick here and all three were affected. The support bracket behind needed two patches and everything in front of the bracket had to be replaced (2 layers).

here's a front shot......
East coaster
from behind.....
East coaster
That's it for today. The flare is about ready for filler and the rust spots just need to be dressed. The drivers side jack post area is the only rust spot left unadressed and it should be taken care of tomarrow.
Luke M
Nice job clap.gif I'll be installing my flares next week.
Any problems that you ran into?
Luke
East coaster
Best advice I can give is make sure you clean all welding surfaces very well, both inside and out. Any burning paint/undercoating/seam sealer will deplete the welding gas and give you a nice hole in the bead. On the first flare I neglected to prep the inside of the fender well enough and got some burn through. Also, be patient and weld small areas at a time (1" or so) to minimize heat warpage. The little extra time you take here will be saved 10 fold on hammer and dolly time.

If you're doing AA flares, you'll have to work the bottom of the flare into the stock bottom line. The AA flares are flat on the bottom and the stock were angled at the rocker line. A little hammer/dolly work will blend it from angled to flat.

Here's a pic for clarity:

East coaster
from inside.........
URY914
Very nice work! And I would say not your first time. clap.gif
Jeroen
agree.gif
wish the DPO of my car repaired the bumper mounts like you did
the way they are now makes me wanna icon8.gif
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE (East coaster @ Jan 8 2006, 04:50 AM)
If you're doing AA flares, you'll have to work the bottom of the flare into the stock bottom line. The AA flares are flat on the bottom and the stock were angled at the rocker line. A little hammer/dolly work will blend it from angled to flat.

That may be a little better than the factory flares
joea9146
Looks Good Nice Job .... welder.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.