Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: show me the blockoff plates you used...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
smile.gif

lookin at fabbing up some blockoff plats for the heater/blower stuff in the cowl......
Series9
I welded up this aluminum drain pan.
r_towle
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 7 2006, 11:52 PM)
smile.gif

lookin at fabbing up some blockoff plats for the heater/blower stuff in the cowl......

please explain what you are doing.

I blocked off the fresh air system with two spray paint covers on each side (the happen to fit perfectly)

If you are going for a no heat scenario, Just pull the paper tube behind the speaker and cap it there..same size, rattle can cover.

I would not reccomend loosing any air flow to the windshield though, either fresh air or heat...pic at least one to remain...

Unlike a bug, there is no way to direct air flow across the windshield, so on those foggy mornings, you will not have fun...at least fresh air will dry off the moisture eventually.

Rich
Aaron Cox
when you remove the 2 paper tubes from the long to the cowl, and the 2 diffusors.... it leaves four holes in your cowl/gas tank area....looking directly at your feet.

so i need to make some block off plates to go where the tubes and the diffusords were......

AA
Eric_Shea
I refuse to show you mine! mad.gif

w00t.gif
boxstr
JP made some very nice aluminum plates that look very nice.
CCLINPLATESUP
McMark
Those block off plates might be a nice product for one of out metal cutting members. wink.gif Hint hint.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (McMark @ Jan 8 2006, 10:47 AM)
Those block off plates might be a nice product for one of out metal cutting members. wink.gif Hint hint.

we are on it down here.....
lagunero
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 8 2006, 10:35 AM)
QUOTE (McMark @ Jan 8 2006, 10:47 AM)
Those block off plates might be a nice product for one of out metal cutting members.  ;)  Hint hint.

we are on it down here.....

Will they be part of the 901 Gauge Kit? laugh.gif
campbellcj
Initially I just used a piece of sheet aluminum. Now I have a dual 3" intake duct in there; the plan (not done yet) is to put inline fresh air blower fans to get some airflow in the cockpit for hot track days (mostly when sitting er baking on the starting grid at Willow).
SirAndy
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 8 2006, 08:54 AM)
so i need to make some block off plates to go where the tubes and the diffusords were......

i cheaped out. orange duct-tape ...

biggrin.gif Andy
Brando
Aluminum sheet, bandsaw, drill press... voila!
Howard
Brando is on to something here. I'll show you mine if you show me yours dry.gif

Aaron Cox
precisely the pic i was looking for.

brant
we used fusor brand body panel adhesive to put ours on and save the weight of screws:
Engman
Maybe something like this....

Engman
In a kit like this for $30 plus shipping?

Aaron Cox
smilie_pokal.gif
Andyrew
lol thats funny.

Think There will be a few buyers for that one.

I know Im one of them..
VegasRacer
QUOTE (Engman @ Jan 10 2006, 05:12 PM)

Nice Mark. smilie_flagge24.gif
Howard
They sure look like the ones in my picture. Pay me royalties? cool.gif
Engman
Look carefully at the round ones - no drilling required - the nut catches the lip edge in 3 places.

M
Howard
Sure, make a small change and call it your idea. Still think you should send me a free pedal board. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Engman
If I ever get out there - I'll buy the bottle of Hara Dura Gold and help you drink it.

M
Rand
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 8 2006, 12:15 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 8 2006, 08:54 AM)

i cheaped out. orange duct-tape ...

biggrin.gif Andy

biggrin.gif My car is black, so I used gaffers tape! smilie_pokal.gif
spunone
Mark me thinks you need Mexican spell check for you drink of choice LOL drunk.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE (brant @ Jan 8 2006, 03:24 PM)
we used fusor brand body panel adhesive to put ours on and save the weight of screws:

Brant - You crack me up! You should have swiss cheesed those to save weight. Wait a minute...they might not work as well! laugh.gif

Aaron Cox
hopefully theyll show up by saturday so they can be debuted at joe sharps BBQ.....
smilie_pokal.gif
Howard
But seriously (old cautious guy talking) block those holes! Not that you'll ever be in an accident, or the tank will ever leak, or gas will pour on your feet, or anything like that.
flesburg
We just cut some sheet metal to shape and welded it in. Same with the cowl.
brant
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Jan 10 2006, 06:39 PM)
QUOTE (brant @ Jan 8 2006, 03:24 PM)

Brant - You crack me up! You should have swiss cheesed those to save weight. Wait a minute...they might not work as well! laugh.gif

you think thats odd...

we went to a special aluminum distributor and bought alloy stock in about 5 different thickness' so we could use only what was necessary.

those block off plates are made from Paper thin stock. They are like a snare drum skin they are so thin.

brant
campbellcj
Brant - great minds think alike! I've used paper 'stickers' and corner hardware store aluminum sheet etc. and unless/until it fails, it does the job and is virtually undetectable.

Actually the PO used the adhesive goo for some of the block-off pieces he installed; conventional fasteners on the others. I need to create a few more for the engine sheet metal areas; will the fusol 'goo' hold up to temps & chemicals?

BTW I still think your car is just too pretty and you must have too much spare time and/or money on your hands finger.gif drunk.gif
maf914
QUOTE (Engman @ Jan 10 2006, 04:12 PM)

Nice work as usual, Mark. smilie_pokal.gif

Now, how much for the carbon fiber upgrade? laugh.gif
brant
QUOTE (campbellcj @ Jan 10 2006, 11:32 PM)
Brant - great minds think alike! I've used paper 'stickers' and corner hardware store aluminum sheet etc. and unless/until it fails, it does the job and is virtually undetectable.

Actually the PO used the adhesive goo for some of the block-off pieces he installed; conventional fasteners on the others. I need to create a few more for the engine sheet metal areas; will the fusol 'goo' hold up to temps & chemicals?

BTW I still think your car is just too pretty and you must have too much spare time and/or money on your hands finger.gif drunk.gif

Chris,

yep. Fusor is good stuff.
Its a body panel adhesive that is sold at most body supply outlets. I think 3m makes a similar product.
I think the new cars use it to "cold" weld some of the panels and its permanent stuff.

When I got mine, I talked to the guy behind the counter and he showed me about 10 different mixtures of it. Because I was mostly using it on aluminum to steel, he showed me a particular number/mix that was recommended. I could find out tomorrow what style I used. I think its #111 off the top of my head, but could double check. It should be safe for temp and chemicals though.

Thanks for the kind words.
we need to race together some time.
Have you given any consideration to coming East?
perhaps the big VARA event at Miller Motorsports this summer?

brant
mikesmith
With the Engman parts sadly no longer available, is anyone else fabricating something similar? A 'heat delete' kit with plugs for the longs as well would certainly get my dollars...
barefoot
For the louvered opening in the cowl, mine had a shiny SS plate bolted in just under cowl. I'm converting to heating / venting, so my plate is for sale cheap.
Barefoot
Rand
Wow. Stumbling across an old thread and seeing a post from Howard was a tear jerker. And now Engman too. Dang. sad.gif

I just cut out the vent louvers and welded in a piece of sheet metal. I like a clean shave. Adding stuff goes against my grain. I'd rather simplify.
Harpo
Does anyone have any patterns they could scan and email me?

Thanks

David
Drums66
.....No pearls, for you Aaron.....Bare em!! poke.gif
bye1.gif flag.gif ....Have a nice "Thanksgiving"!
effutuo101
One for me. How do I get it!
02loftsmoor
I offered to have this stuff made, water jetted no no takers
Harpo
That sounds like a great idea. How about the four plugs for back dating bumpers

David
mikesmith
I've achieved some success with the following, all sourced from Alliance Plastics (www.alliance-express.com). They were quite happy to sell me these in individual quantities; shipping took about a week.

To seal the vent tubes into the longs: 4x DM2375-1A Round Dip Molded End-Cap (2.375 ID X 1.000 length).

To seal the inlet ports in the vent selector: 2x 466582 Round Low Profile Insert Glides (60mm tube OD)

To seal the outlet ports from the vent selector to the dash vents: 2x 466580 Round Low Profile Insert Glides (50mm tube OD)

To seal the holes in the firewall where the heat tubes used to run up from the longs: 2x FPR3A Flange Protector Plug (3" nom, 5.195 actual OD).

The vent tube plugs are PVC, so I can't say for sure how well they're going to hold up on the engine bay ends.

The flange protector plug isn't perfect; it seals well to the hole itself but the outer flange needs a bit of trimming to clear the wiring and such. It's also LDPE, so it's totally not structural. A little strip caulk would make it airtight, and if all you wanted was a seal I'm sure it'd do OK.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 24 2013, 05:10 PM) *
Wow. Stumbling across an old thread and seeing a post from Howard was a tear jerker. And now Engman too. Dang. sad.gif

agree.gif

Who keeps digging up these old threads?
confused24.gif
mikesmith
Apologies for digging this one up again, but, well, new information and all.

I've found something better than the flange plugs for the heat tube holes, and also the holes in the engine bay / trunk firewall - 4" exterior junction box covers. They're just the right size, and the weatherproof ones have nice foam seals too.

Cheap at Home Despot in either grey PVC or steel.
Jeff Hail
Print out original 8.5 x 11 and cut them out of thin aluminum and bond them on.

ThePaintedMan
This isn't quite finished, but I thought I'd post some pics of what I came up with. I need to finish beveling the edges and add foam to make it watertight, but overall, I like the way it came out for just some scrap acrylic I had laying around.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.