Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-GT or Sheridan
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
914 GT look (probably rip off the scheme) using Alaska Blue and Silver instead of the Yellow and Red
IPB Image
IPB Image

Or

Sheridan standard body in yellow, not sure about stripes/graphics yet,
IPB Image

This is a track car and I do now have another 914 for spring/summer/early fall daily driving.
2.7 RS pistons, webers, headers, 944 turbo front brakes, boxster rear brakes, tilton brake adjuster...just for more background on car

Let's hear your opinions....
drew365
I have in mind a paint job similar to the front of the GT but not extending it to the rear lids. Based on looks alone I like the GT, but the Sheridan has alot more function. You've got to decide how serious you want to get and if you'll need 10" rear tires to get there.
seanery
The plan on the GT is 8" 951 fuchs and 9" custom fuchs from 2 6's that look like the old 15x10's.

So, moving up to 10's isn't a big deal, 11's wouldn't be a big deal.
My buddy Paul just put 9's and 11's on his IROC look-a-like.

The wheels are HRE fuch's look-a-likes and are gorgeous 3 piece custom wheels.
EdwardBlume
GT or Sheridan? Both out of my league, but the Sheridan looks really cool. ar15.gif
campbellcj
I prefer the Sheridan. If you're gonna cut up a perfectly good teener to go wide, go WIDE.

(I know you can get those extra-sized GT style flares, but I am not fond of that look and the aero is probably not as clean.)
seanery
The 8's & 9's will fit under factory flares.

I'd only do the bigger wheels on the sheridan. I also like the idea of taking the GT out with the plates from the street car and just fucking with the little rice burners or driving it to shows, etc...I think the sheridan kit would scream "ARREST ME" if I were to try that with that kit.
Brad Roberts
Actually with some seat time you would figure out the 8's+9's with spacers would work better than 10's all the way around with Rogers narrow body kit. Run the 8's up front and make the track wider with spacers than the rear with 9's and no spacers.

His narrow kit (and wide kit for that fact) do scream "arrest me" on the street.

I love his wide kit.

B
Curvie Roadlover
I like the sheridan. The flares flow with the lines of the car. IMHO the flares on the GT look like an afterthought when compared to the sheridan.
vortrex
if you're talking about looks I say GT, but that's just me, I'm into vintage styling. I imagine the sheridan offers better functionality though, but I don't like the look really.
seanery
I haven't had the six out on the track (cuz its not done).
How loose do these things get without any downforce from front spoilers/rear spoiler or wing?

Thanks, this may also help in the decision making process.
bernbomb914
boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif Where do you get these bodies and what do they cost? They are Beautiful. are they a kit?

Bernie aktion035.gif
chunger
I think Roger Sheridan makes 'em. . .

Sheridan

Prices are on there. . . I'm still wanting to go wide kit on the V8 car. . . fiance even likes it smile.gif She said, "I saw one of those really really wide 914's the other day and thought it was pretty."

Already have the wheel's/tires to stuff under it, but priority is to get the car on the road first blink.gif Hmmm. . . isn't that what Brad told me the first time I talked to him?

-'Chung

Always the long way. . .
jonwatts
Chung? You have a car? I thought you just had a lot of bits (mostly V8 bits). Give us some details. Then get off the computer and work on the house dangit.
Mike T
I like the GT look, especially with the wider than normal rear flares. In the mid to late 1980's there was a 914 with enormous GT style flares that used to mop up at the national level in SCCA E-Modified autocross. Prepared by Garretson Enterprises and driven by Gary Walton. A 4 cyl as I recall, big 4cyl. Amazing car.

Mike T.
chunger
Hey Jon,

Most of my pictures are on my other computer. . . (mac) barf.gif and it's at my temporary recording studio setup ar15.gif barf.gif

The car's in progress. . .details:

'73 chassis Delphi Green metalic (and it's staying that way)
All the interior from mueba.gif 's black car.
All of everything else from mueba.gif 's black car.
mueba.gif 's abandoned Chevy motor
mueba.gif 's 19mm front swaybar
Dart Pro1 aluminum heads
MPFI. . . Holley commander 950 mechanicals Megasquirt brain
930 transmission shortened w/ R&P reversed ar15.gif $$$$$$
15x12 BBS 3 piece rear wheels (345/35) .. . 16x8 fronts
1 set prestine 16x7 fuchs (just to get car on the road) 215/40's presently on there
RH radiator setup
911 struts w/ cheap modified Girling iron 4 piston brakes
Koni inserts w/ threaded rear struts
21mm t-bars 195lb. rear springs

That's all I've collected so far. . . I just need a couple more major components and i'll be ready to attempt to throw this bad-boy together.

paint
Shift linkage parts
hydro clutch parts
new seals all 'round
front windshield
axles/cv's

My "work-harder-not-smarter" tendencies and complete lack of money and desire to "do it right have all contributed to the complete lack of any forward motion whatsoever on the project . . .haa haa.

-'Chung
Jeroen
If the wheels and tires are no problem for you, I'd say go for the Sheridan!!!

Another thing you may want to consider though: racing damage
IIRC the Sheridan kit consists of big pieces (hood, fenders and bumper are one piece)
So if you crash, you'd prolly end up replacing the complete piece and not just a bumper or a fender

Ofcourse you can easily do f/g repairs, and I don't know how "violent" things get where you guys race, but still... think about it

cheers,

Jeroen
Jeroen
Here's a better view of the rear wing on the yellow car...

cheers,

Jeroen
cha914
another vote for the sheridan kit...I just love how clean it makes the car look...
seanery
Jeroen,

Have you seen this car in person?

If so, is the wing angle/height adjustable while in the driver seat?
Jeroen
Well, errr... no, I haven't seen this car in person biggrin.gif
It's just my perversion to collect pics like these wink.gif

By the way the linkage seems to run sideways through the rear hood, I could very well be in-car-adjustable though...

cheers,

Jeroen
scottb
my vote is cast for the gt..... besides, the joy of smoking the rice burners while avoiding the long arm has a big allure... aktion035.gif
Ferg
I vote for the GT too! Would love to see one done up in Gulf colors. Ferg
seanery
Like this?

IPB Image

or this?

IPB Image
Jeroen
I if the GT gets a more modern looking front bumper/spoiler and some lower rocker panels, the apearance of the car would be greatly enhanced
(I really like the fiberwerks 914 front bumper)

Besides the bigger and smoother flares, I think those items are a big factor in the good looks of the Sheridan kit

Cheers,

Jeroen
Ferg
That's it! Excuse me while i get a tissue to wipe the drool from my chin. Ferg. tongue.gif
campbellcj
That wing on the yellow car does look like it might be remotely adjustable, or could be made so. That would be slick. I might actually stop by the Las Vegas POC event this weekend...if the car's there, I'll take a close look and maybe chat with the owner.
scottb
hey ferg, greetings from a transplanted colorado boy! left parker a bit over a year ago to live in the center of the terrorist bullseye... washington dc!!!!! give me your address, i will send you a gallon of water for use this summer!

my dad is going to be having his 74 1.8L redone this summer and will probably need appropriate guidance and counsel to keep him on the right track. will need to hit you and ginter up to make sure he doesn't maaco his ride!!!!
seanery
Chris,

Take pictures if you go!
jonwatts
ScottB, what the hell is your avatar?

Jeroen, am I right in hearing you're cutting metal GT flares off your car in favor of fiberglass ones? If so, why go to that much trouble? Just for weight savings?
Jeroen
Yep, any weight I can ditch is welcome.

I'll have full f/g fenders with dsuz fastners

The goal is to end up in the 1750# area. Combined a 3.0 euro Carrera engine with webers (230+ bhp) that should be fun enough to give some fast cars a good run for their money biggrin.gif

Aside from the weight, racing can get ruff here, and I couldn't forgive myself for banging up a set of steel flared fenders...

cheers,

Jeroen
campbellcj
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Feb 13 2003, 04:59 PM)
ScottB, what the hell is your avatar?

It looks like a Homer Simpson mask that somebody threw on the BBQ for a minute (???)
jonwatts
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Feb 13 2003, 05:13 PM)
Aside from the weight, racing can get ruff here, and I couldn't forgive myself for banging up a set of steel flared fenders...

I would imagine you could get some good money for the steel ones once removed. I love selling car parts to pay for new car parts.

Next time you have trouble getting a vendor to ship you stuff let one of us be the middle man for you.
seanery
Here's another pic of the 998 Sheridan bodied car at Willow Springs.

IPB Image
MJHanna
I don’t think you realize how wide the Sheridan is this rear wheel in the picture is a 9” ohmy.gif
Ferg
Hey scottb, send that water over!! I will keep a look out for your father, is he going to the carquip swap meet this Saturday?? Ferg.
seanery
MJHanna,

Is that the standard body Sheridan?
MJHanna
Wide Body
Portuga914
Hi, biggrin.gif I know most of you'd say "go for the sheridan" blink.gif , but one thing is certain: if you want to keep a 914 look you'll go for the GT... otherwise is just another funny supercar...
That is what I'd do, but I just can't get enough of my 914... tongue.gif
seanery
Portuga914, that was my original thought, too. But since this project started I got another 914 for use on the street. So, that is where it gets tricky. How bad-ass do I want the race car to be? The Sheridan kit will be much better aero-wise, but the GT pieces look more like a vintage racer! blink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(seanery @ Mar 5 2003, 06:26 AM)
The Sheridan kit will be much better aero-wise, but the GT pieces look more like a vintage racer! blink.gif

well, then just get another car. that way you would have a daily driver, a GT and a bad-ass racer cool.gif
MJHanna
Yeah one pic I posted is for sale boldblue.gif cheaper than you can by the Glass from Sheridan. ohmy.gif
Brad Roberts
Yep. I'm out. I want the car but I have NO room for it right now and my thoughts are moving more towards Boxster every day.

Matter of fact..I'll sell my tube car for 18k as a roller minus engine and tranny. Fresh fiberglass and 1 year old paint.

B
Jeroen
here's a nice boxster for ya biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
BravoHotel
Jeroen,

I have always been intrigued by the f/g bolt-on flare proposition. That way, if it gets banged up, just replace w/ a new one. Do you have any pics of cars done like this? Have you started the bolt-on thing on your car yet? Keep us posted on the progress.

BH
Brad Roberts
This pic was just sent to me.. I'm assuming he is lurker here on the list.

These appear to bolted on and done nicely.

B
seanery
For the Bolt-em-On guys:

Do you trim them out with a piece of rubber? Or is there a gap between flare and body panel?

Kinda hard to tell on the Lime-Green car. They look nice.
Brad Roberts
Most I have seen are trimmed out with black piping.

I like the RSR look, but the factory made those to bolt on with countersunk screw holes.

B
Jeroen
here's two pics I could find

cheers,

Jeroen
Jeroen
second one...
Jeroen
Speaking of 993 RSR / GT2 flares...
Has anyone tried to bolt these to a 914?
They're easily available and might look cool too

cheers,

Jeroen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.