Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's this stuff???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
East coaster
I removed my windsheild trim today and was wondering what type of sealer this is and were to get some for when I re-assemble (like that'll happen wacko.gif ). It's been a long time since my last 914 resto and I forget what I used on that one. My Dad used to have a body shop and he used to call this stuff "dum-dum". I was surpised how gum like and pliable it was after 22 years.

What do you guys use for this???

VaccaRabite
Butyl tape.

Glass repair house may have it. But they may also give you a hard time for using it too, as it is not up to code these days in some places.

Zach
campbellcj
I've used the 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive for many years, which may be what is shown in your pic (or certainly similar). Last time I bought it was in the form of a red-colored tube. The usual sources that sell rubber seals should also have it. I've also used the Wurth rubber glue, which is probably even better but not as common, and more expensive. Last time I bought it was in the form of a blue/white can with an integrated lid-brush.
East coaster
This stuff isn't glue. It's between the chrome trim and the body and to remove it, I just rolled it into a ball and threw it away. It was almost like plumbers putty.
Eric_Shea
Butyl tape... what Zach said. NAPA can get it for you. It's basically a roll of black plumbers putty type stuff that's stickier than hell.

I did a rear window install that might be in the classic threads. It has the part number.
East coaster
Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.