Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distributor Problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
d7n7master
I was replacing the O'Ring on the distributor shaft prior to installation on my new long-block when I noticed that a 'lil piece of something fell on the floor.
I picked it up. It looked like a piece of a washer or? So now I'm wondering
where it came from... I gave the distributor another spin - & sure as $hit - two more pieces fall into my hand.
WTF??? Check this out:
ohmy.gif
Allan
Sounds like the channeled washer that pulls oil up to the shaft. If that is what it is, yer lucky you found the pieces before starting the motor. I'm not sure where to get them new but I found mine easily at a place that rebuilds t4 bus motors...
dmenche914
check a local VW aircooled store or dune buggy store.bring it in, and they should be able to match the washer thingy for your engine.
SLITS
You could feasibly remove them from a used dizzy....it doesn't have to be the one specifically for your car as there were many varations of the dizzy that used those washers.....
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (Headrage @ Jan 7 2006, 09:31 PM)
Sounds like the channeled washer that pulls oil up to the shaft.

Nope--that part is down underneath another part, not on the bottom of the distributor itself. Remember, there is a separate "distributor driveshaft" that slides into the case. It has a gear on the bottom and slots on the top. The two tabs we see on the bottom of the distributor slide into the slots on the top of the distributor driveshaft. The washer you're thinking of goes on the bottom of the driveshaft.

The fiber washer probably sets end-play on the distributor. Chances are probably pretty good that you can find the parts at a VW specialty shop. Measure the thickness of the pieces, just in case you need that info.

--DD
Allan
OOPS, yep.

Not the metal washer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.