Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Portable GPS nav. recommendations...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
olav

Since I have multiple vehicles I was looking to getting a portable GPS navigation system.

So I can use it in my 914.

Anyone have any experience or recommendations?

smile.gif
anthony
I bought a Garmin Quest for a driving vacation around New England last summer. It's a fantastic little unit and only costs around $350. They just came out with a Quest II which is pre-loaded with detailed maps of the US so it basically has a lot more memory but costs $200 more.

Anyway, I highly recommend the Quest.

Here's a review:

http://www.gpsinformation.us/quest/questrev.html

vortrex
just saw a japanese commercial, they have GPS enabled cell phones with navigation software now. looked pretty cool.
bondo
I'm happy with my Garmin GPSV. Might be getting outated now, but it's a nice durable form factor. (I had a GPS III and then an GPS III+ before the V)
IanStott
The Garmin is amazing, haven't used others except the one in GM vehicles and found it lacking after using the Garmin which doesn't cost anything to use.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
seanery
I have a Megellan Roadmate 300 and think it's awesome! Full color, turn by turn, reroutes, touch screen, SD slot that I loaded up with a 1gig card with the whole US (except 2 states).
Here's where I bought it Roadmate on Ebay
olav

Cool.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

smilie_pokal.gif
Kerrys914
I am using TOMTOM on my Treo (cell phone)...Very nice
Elliot_Cannon
I have a set of road maps from AAA. They were free. laugh.gif
Elliot
chilli
QUOTE (Elliot Cannon @ Jan 8 2006, 02:11 PM)
I have a set of road maps from AAA. They were free. laugh.gif
Elliot

Now you are assuming that the new generation can read maps. :-)

mike driving.gif driving.gif
IanJ
I've used Tomtom on my ipaq and my nokia cell phone in US and Europe and can highly recommend it.

It can even take the speed camera database and warn you if you are entering an accident blackspot wink.gif

I just need to find the maps for my pending trip to Australia.

Tomtom link(No affiliation other than a very satisfied customer) rocking nana.gif
DonTraver
I have the Magellen 700, love it, even helps you spell the names of the streets and cities, covers US and Canada, also Europe if you pay for the unlock code. Updatable over the web. Now they have the 760, supposed to be even better, I got mine on ebay. Love it.

Later, Don
Steve
QUOTE (DonTraver @ Jan 8 2006, 07:49 PM)
I have the Magellen 700, love it, even helps you spell the names of the streets and cities, covers US and Canada, also Europe if you pay for the unlock code.  Updatable over the web.  Now they have the 760, supposed to be even better, I got mine on ebay.  Love it.

Later,  Don

I also have the Magellen roadmate 700.
It comes with an auto suck attachment.
What a disapointment when I found out the auto suck attachment was for the windshield blink.gif
I have used it in my ex 914, 911, wife's car and countless road trips with rental cars when I travel.
You used to be able to buy the 700 at Costco.
I think you can only get the 300 at Costco now.
The 300 is fine and is allot cheaper than the 700.
The 700 has a hard disk so it covers more.
I think you can get the 300 or the 700 at Best Buy.
Maltese Falcon
Magellan 360 is in the Costco flyer for next month @$350.00. I got one for a gift last month, and it's a great portable.
meares
I've got a Garmin Street Pilot ColorMap.....bought it inn '99....still works really well!! try the newest version of the color map.....Garmin is very ergonomic!
mrdezyne
I am a design engineer for Lowrance Electronics so I'm a little partial to our products but I would urge you to take a look at what we have to offer. We have been in the GPS buisness as long or longer than Garmin (Garmin's owner is a former Lowrance employee). We curently have two automotive GPS systems avaialble with many more in the works. Take a gander at www.lowrance.com and look for the iWay 500c and 350c. Both products won SEMA "New electronic product of the year" the past two years. Much more bang for the buck than Garmin and Magellen plus you can say you have a GPS designed by a fellow 914 Club member!

I am going to mount a 500c in a custom center console and use the MP3 player as my "juke box". No need for huge CD changers any longer. With 10 gig hard drive space for music, you can store a butt load of music on this thing and have color touch screen GPS with voice navigation to boot!

Go on, Check it out!!! mueba.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.