Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Missing a part.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlo914
I dropped by the shop that my 14' is having it's repairs/diagnosis done, and they said my car is missing a part that allows the Djet system to operate. They described it as a bunch of resistors enclosed in a metal casing w/ a male connector w/ 6 prongs on the connector. The female connector comes off the FI harness on the passenger side of the engine bay. here's a drawing of the connector since i didnt have my camera on me at the time. If anyone has one please PM me. Thanks in advance
Cap'n Krusty
Sounds like an L jet resistor pack. You sure they know what they're doing? You sure your car is a 74 2 litre? The Cap'n
dlo914
the car is a 74', but the newly acquired engine is out of a 75' w/ a complete Djet FI system w/ the smog items plugged.
bd1308
Djet did not have resistor packs installed....

so either you have L-jet or you fried your injectors...

D-jet switches the injectors using the hot side
L-jet switches them using ground.

combine them and PSSZZZT.

3.6K Ohm on each resistor. Give me a week and I can Make a resistor pack....

b
dlo914
hmm...Ljet on a 2L? it's a 2L for sure b/c it has the 3 studded intake manifold.
bd1308
well it aint unheard of.

If you cant find one, i'll make ya one.

its not too hard.

even if you find one with a wire or two gone, i can fix it very easily....

b
dlo914
how much for the resistor pack?
bd1308
I have no idea....

I broke a wire off of mine and re-soldered it back on...then i tested it with a ohm-meter, and I thought "heh, this is easy...I could actually make one if i needed to."

I imagine PP might have them?

b
SLITS
The "D" Jet for a 75 has such a plug, but don't remember if it is that shape. It's for a "fuel cutoff" as far as I can remember....I have two of them (complete harnesses)

But, the canister is not necessary for the car to run.....if it is what I am thinking of.

Find another shop if that's the case.
bd1308
yes...

please please please find out what it is for sure before you start buying stuff....

L-jet has a funny large black square box off to the left side (from standing at back of car) of the engine...

D-jet has the mps, attached near the battery tray, looks like a silver hand grenade...dont pull the pin, its a very expensive grenade.

L-jet cars have colored connectors with funky pin connectors. D-jet connectors are all white.

please find otu what you have.

If you do have L-jet, i'll make me a custom resistor bank and you can have my OE resistor pack.

b
Bleyseng
I thought it is for the speed limiter thingie, leave it off.
bd1308
does your car start...?

if not, check this out for me.....

make sure the yellow wire is in this position, which is NOT where the wire is now.

it should be in pin II.

b
bd1308
yeah but why isnt the system working....?

oh, and my pic assumes you have L-jet. If you have D-jet, that whole plug-in area will be filled with a white plastic connector.

the resistor pinout looks like this:

again this assumes that you have L-jet...
b
JeffBowlsby
L-Jet cars require the resistor pack at that 6-pole connector.
D-Jet cars have the same connector but its for an optional speed limiter...not required as Ron mentioned. D-Jet cars do not require the resistor pack.
dlo914
QUOTE (SLITS @ Jan 8 2006, 07:49 AM)
The "D" Jet for a 75 has such a plug, but don't remember if it is that shape. It's for a "fuel cutoff" as far as I can remember....I have two of them (complete harnesses)

But, the canister is not necessary for the car to run.....if it is what I am thinking of.

Find another shop if that's the case.

This shop is fine...they do good work, and i'd rather not bypass this doo-hickey.
dlo914
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jan 8 2006, 08:49 AM)
does your car start...?

if not, check this out for me.....

make sure the yellow wire is in this position, which is NOT where the wire is now.

it should be in pin II.

b

those wires of mines were fixed into plugs and all i had to do was plug them in.
dlo914
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jan 8 2006, 09:01 AM)
yeah but why isnt the system working....?

oh, and my pic assumes you have L-jet. If you have D-jet, that whole plug-in area will be filled with a white plastic connector.

the resistor pinout looks like this:

again this assumes that you have L-jet...
b

the system doesnt look tampered w/ and it does have an MPS. And IIRC the L-Jet system doesnt contain the MPS.
dlo914
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Jan 8 2006, 09:05 AM)
L-Jet cars require the resistor pack at that 6-pole connector.
D-Jet cars have the same connector but its for an optional speed limiter...not required as Ron mentioned. D-Jet cars do not require the resistor pack.

what's the speed limited to? 140mph?
Allan
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Jan 8 2006, 08:33 AM)
I thought it is for the speed limiter thingie, leave it off.

Maybe the rev limiter?
bd1308
the speed limiter wasnt required.

you have D-jet.

b
JFJ914
That connector is for a California only part that is not needed for running. I think it was a fuel cutoff. My 74 1.8 has a complete 75 - 76 2.0 D-Jet installed and that connector just dangles. You definately do not need the L-Jet resistor pack. By the way, if you do connect a resistor pack it will do absolute nothing and the engine will run just fine. Check the wiring diagram for 75 and you will see that the injector wires are in parallel to the device and have continuity in and out of that plug.
dlo914
i plan to sell the car and i dont want any potential buyers to question about the dangling connector. if anyone has one PM me. Thanks!
bd1308
if they ask about the connector, tell them its optional....

why in the world would you want to limit the speed of a 914?

b
dlo914
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jan 8 2006, 12:19 PM)
if they ask about the connector, tell them its optional....

why in the world would you want to limit the speed of a 914?

b

is this thing for sure a speed limiter or for fuel cut off?
bd1308
its both...

when you got to x speed, the sensor knew (somehow) and cut the fuel pump off to prevent you from going faster.

b
JeffBowlsby
Its an engine 'speed' limiter guys....a rev limiter, there is a photo of one on my harness website at the link in my signature below.

By the way, if you do connect a resistor pack it will do absolute nothing and the engine will run just fine

Don't plug a resistor pack into this dangling connector! Even though it will fit, this connector taps into the circuits for the distributor (to measure engine speed). I don't know what pluging resistors in would do, but I am sure you don't want to find out, especially if the car will be for sale soon.

cool.gif
dlo914
i'll drop by the shop tomorrow and tell them what i found out here on the forum and see if they agree. if not then i'll have to obtain this speed limiter:
SLITS
That's the canister......IT IS NOT NEEDED FOR THE CAR TO RUN

Ya want one, I have one....but yer just wasting yer money!
bd1308
its also yet another relay to mess up.....

just leave it off...

if they tell you thats the reason your car wont start, walk...run away.

they dont know crap if they tell ya that.

if you plug resistor pack into that spot, you'll feed ~6V into things that arent designed or even remotely designed to constantly have 6V put into them....

does it even start?

b
dlo914
After i installed the engine into the car, i wasnt able to get it started. After a while i got tired of trying to see what was wrong. I let it sit for about a month or two and then had it towed to the shop.
dlo914
Dropped by the shop again today w/ the part Ron sent me and it turns out this is the incorrect part. At first i was like BS!, because the connector matched the prong pattern on the "Speed Relay". After a while we go over to investigate on one of the other 914's in the yard, and it turns out this relay i need controls the firing of the injectors. Here's an illustrated picture of the relay. It's located beneath the battery and attached to the battery tray console. It's an elongated relay w/ 4 wires coming out of it w/ a male connector on the end. dry.gif
bd1308
wait....do you have a resistor pack? do you have L-jet? what in the world? but you have D-jet.....

no
no
no it cant be.

b
dlo914
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jan 11 2006, 06:26 PM)
wait....do you have a resistor pack? do you have L-jet? what in the world? but you have D-jet.....

no
no
no it cant be.

b

ive got a 75' 2L Djet FI motor, and the casing contains resistors that help fire the injectors. So the previous part we thought it was, wasnt the correct part even though it plugs directly into the plug. dry.gif sigh... so does anyone have this part? no luck on PP.
bd1308
well i have a resistor pack of sorts....it will work. pm me your addy and i'll send it out.

well i have to fix it up a tad.

b
bd1308
actually can you please do me a favor....?

can you turn the car on and see if you get voltage at the CENTER pin of that plug?

should be 12V....

b
dlo914
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jan 11 2006, 06:48 PM)
actually can you please do me a favor....?

can you turn the car on and see if you get voltage at the CENTER pin of that plug?

should be 12V....

b

car's at the shop dry.gif i would go check if the car was at home. But i'll PM you my address.
bd1308
well when you can, please do. I dont want to kill your car by suggesting another part. I still want to see your AFM...

b
JeffBowlsby
Your drawing is of an L-Jet resistor pack, they are available new, and at any VW wrecking yard. If you need this part, you do not have D-Jet. We told you the plug was the same, but the speed limiter is not a relay and its not to be plugged into an L-Jet harness.
bd1308
please can you post a pic of your engine bay showing your indeed wierd setup...

my gut feeling is still L-jet, but wasnt it confirmed you have a mps?

b
SLITS
Daniel....that part was off a '75 D-Jet Harness.....The other I have is the same and it is off a '76 D-Jet harness.

The injectors on a D-Jet are fired by the trigger points in the dizzy.

The L-Jet is set up totally different....no trigger points in the dizzy. The air cleaner / VAF assembly is totally different than a 2.0 D-Jet. It's a black box (air filter) with a vane air flow unit attached to it with a hose going to the throttle body. All of this is mounted on the driver's side of the car.

The L-Jet came on a 1.8L......Look at page 53 of the Haynes Manual....figure 2.41 in the right hand lower corner.....That's the L-Jet air filter/vane air flow assembly. The schematic of it is on the opposite facing page.
dlo914
I totally agree with Ron. Ive seen what both systems look like. There clearly isnt an AFM on my system like most modern cars, and the L-Jet system would not operate correctly/or at all without the AFM. Unless the whole system was radically bypassed and modified to run w/out the AFM, and the system on my car looks to be untampered with. The throttle body on the 2L Djet is upright instead of being horizontal. The injectors do not have a yellow colored ringlike the ones off a 1.7L D-Jet. The ones on my system have a green colored ring. The D-Jet systems require the use of a MPS, which my system has. So does anyone have the part i circled in the illustration? Wait ive got an idea, why don't i go ask Porsha916 (the one who sold me the engine) what system is used on this engine?
messix
did you use the d-jet engine manegment computer. they are different aren't they?
dlo914
QUOTE (messix @ Jan 11 2006, 11:24 PM)
did you use the d-jet engine manegment computer. they are different aren't they?

i most likely did. it's what came w/ the engine. i should really contact Porsha916 about the engine details.
Bleyseng
djet looks like this!
SLITS
QUOTE (dlo914 @ Jan 11 2006, 11:28 PM)
The injectors do not have a yellow colored ringlike the ones off a 1.7L D-Jet. The ones on my system have a green colored ring.

1.7 = Yellow

1.8 = Light blueish green

2.0 = Green also a Bosch part# stamped on them ending in 019

You need to look at the dizzy and see if they have connected a 4? prong connector to the side....that's the trigger points. If there is nothing connected to the dizzy, then they have a 1.8 dizzy.

It might be better just to send you a '73, '74, '75 or '76 D-Jet harness & brain.

If the shop doesn't recognize what it is...you might want to enlist the aid of one of the non-members that do or find a shop that does.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.