Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: D-Jet FI's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
montoya 73 2.0
is it worth the cost (?) of keeping some in the garage for future use?
bd1308
yeah. I have a complete 1.7 D-Jet system.

b
dlo914
i have my 1.7L Djet ECU+harness for sale on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMESE%3AIT
montoya 73 2.0
When you say "complete system", what exactly is a complete system?
bd1308
good question...

mps+runners w/injectors+plenum+ecu+harness...

b
montoya 73 2.0
i have a 2.0 so how do i know the difference between the 1.7 and the 2.0? or can some of the parts be interchangeable?
bd1308
well...I was using my djet system as an example.

but a 914 2.0 engine will have three studs on the intake manifold connection point, while the 1.7/1.8 and even the VW 2.0 engine (bus) will have 4-studs...

the intake plenum and the throttle body will be facing upward on a 2.0, while the throttle body will be facing horizontally in a 1.7/1.8

and the spark plugs will be angled more toward the intake runners in a 2.0, while the plugs in a 1.7/1.8 and the VW bus engines will be almost straight up.

b
montoya 73 2.0
ahhhhhh! got it. Fairly simple when explained. i'm still learning the names of the parts chair.gif

by the way, is there any specialty tools that i need for the car? eventually i plan on doing my own tune-ups and other engine/brake stuff.
Mueller
QUOTE (montoya 73 2.0 @ Jan 8 2006, 12:14 AM)

the items that move or wear out in time which is just about everything that has a wire connector attached to it......

the intake plenum doed sometimes break and get leaks mostly due to improper throttle stop setup

a basic metric tool set to start with, a digital volt meter, timing light are good things to have to get you started

LowGT
QUOTE (dlo914 @ Jan 7 2006, 11:28 PM)
i have my 1.7L Djet ECU+harness for sale on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMESE%3AIT

clap.gif

I was going to buy that but then I found the ECU and wiring harness in one of the many boxes the PO sent with the car.
montoya 73 2.0
a basic metric tool set to start with, a digital volt meter, timing light are good things to have to get you started

Got that from all those years of VW building. is there any special "only for 914" tools i may need? i'd rather be prepared than surprised.
mg911guy
Not 914 only ,But.... boldblue.gif
TJB/914
momtoya 73 2.0

Yes, collect all you can for your F.I. install or spare parts collection. Try to find somebody's takeoff so you get all those small costly items. At today's prices you will be spending about $1,000 bucks unless the guy does not know what he has.

Here's a picture of the parts off a complete 73-74 D-Jet system. Dis-regard the upper right hand corner tail lights & bumper tips. This F.I. system is complete except the fuel pump. I didn't get with my purchase.

Tom
TJB/914
montoya 73 2.0

Here's the money shot of the heart of the system. MPS

Expect to pay $200 to $800 for a good used one. New ones are now about $1,500 bucks.

Tom
Bleyseng
Tom, were you able to get a replacement MPS for that leaker?
TJB/914
Geoff,

Yes, they replaced my leaker with a new MPS "free/no charge". I was concerned because I bought it a year ago & explained the situtation that it was hardly used. No problem dealing with a reputable dealer.

Tom
Did you notice it was made in France. Maybe that's why it leaked.
bd1308
QUOTE (Thomas J Bliznik @ Jan 8 2006, 08:51 PM)
montoya 73 2.0

Here's the money shot of the heart of the system. MPS

Expect to pay $200 to $800 for a good used one. New ones are now about $1,500 bucks.

Tom

Rumor is that the VOLVO mps's are only $500 from the factory....

and there is an online company called http://fuelinjectioncorp.com that apparently has both MPS's and AFM's...
bd1308
you missed out man...

i sold my 2.0 FI system (sans mps) for 100 bucks. to a very good gentleman.

b
JeffBowlsby
They show a core charge....so they must be rebuilt units. Performance still has rebuilts for about $200....last I checked.... dry.gif
bd1308
rebuilt...

the Bret Instruments ones?

b
r_towle
QUOTE (montoya 73 2.0 @ Jan 8 2006, 02:14 AM)

Hunt down and find yourself a funtioning MPS (manifold pressure sender) it is the most expensive part and it fails after 30 plus years.

The rest is still easy enough to get.

Rich
Bleyseng
AAR valves are find too!

I have a few good MPS's and AAR valves in my stash.
anthony
At every swap meet I can usually find an MPS for $5-20. I bring my Mityvac and test it on the spot.
SLITS
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jan 9 2006, 07:37 AM)
rebuilt...

the Bret Instruments ones?

b

Brett Instruments no longer exists....Don sold out to Fuel Injection Corporation...FIC rebuilds the units....my cost according to the president of FIC is $225 with a good core. He indicated they were selling them via internet for $275. I have never looked to confirm this.

I know that PP doesn't handle them because of warranty issues...mainly 30+ year old diaphrams that can fail even though the unit is "rebuilt". No one makes the diaphrams and no one seems to be interested in the investment required to make them for the limited market they have.

There are others that will set one up for you, as long as the diaphrams are good. Geoff Bleyseng is probably the best one to go to.

I can get them rebuilt, and again, have to supply a good core (diaphrams), but I am twice the price of Geoff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.