Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuilding steering rack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Marv's3.6six
Need to rebuild my steering rack, during assembly I found there is a spring loaded tensioner that puts pressure on the rack that has a plastic or nylon covered cup on the spring. The plastic piece is worn away, need new plastic or nylon cup!

Any sources? Any rebuilders out there U guys have used ? There might be other stuff worn my eyes can't see, whats recommended?
r_towle
I would say that you need to talk to Pelican Parts.

They offer a rebuilt rack called the "quick rack" which is a geared down version that offers less lock to lock rotation, something like 2/3's reduction.

Therefore, they know of a rebuilder, and quite possibly a parts source for the internals.

Rich
SLITS
Last time I checked about $200 out of a rebuilder in Palm Springs...

Several others exist...don't know pricing though

Most don't rebuild the manual rack as there is no market for it and they don't go bad that oftem.....914 & 911 same thing

How many do you want?
Marv's3.6six
They offer a rebuilt rack called the "quick rack" which is a geared down version that offers less lock to lock rotation, something like 2/3's reduction.

I could not find anything at PP about this, help pls!! blink.gif
markb
QUOTE (SLITS @ Jan 8 2006, 08:16 AM)
How many do you want?

I was gonna ask the same thing. I've got 2 of them sitting here, brakes & all. biggrin.gif
anthony
Do a search on the Pelican 911 board. Within the last month someone was posting pics on how to disassemble and rebuild the rack yourself. But why bother rebuilding when you can just buy another for like $50-100?
r_towle
sorry, the "quick rack" seems to be no longer listed...

I would call, they can still get it, andif all else fails, call them...the web site is not always complete....

It was there in the last version of the site.

Rich
Gint
Slight hijack...

You guys keep asking "why?"

For my resto I'd like to take mine partway down to restore it so that it appears something closer to new rather than the crapped out appearance it currently has.
markb
QUOTE (Gint @ Jan 8 2006, 08:40 PM)
Slight hijack...

For my resto I'd like to take mine partway down to restore it so that it appears something closer to new rather than the crapped out appearance it currently has.

OK. Good enough for me. laugh.gif
SLITS
QUOTE (Gint @ Jan 8 2006, 09:40 PM)
Slight hijack...

Appearance? All they do is run the housing thru a parts washer and then media blast them....depending upon the rebuilder, they will be left aluminum finish, painted blue (ATSCO), black (A1/Cardone)? or some other color.

The rack itself is cleaned and if good, put back in. Same with pinion
Gint
Mine is pretty skanky. I haven't tried to just "clean" it, but based on it's appearance, I was expecting to have to bead blast it.
Marv's3.6six
Thanx guys, found a quik ratio nine elebin model with a gare own tee, fer 1 franklin. huh.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Marv's3.6six @ Jan 9 2006, 11:07 PM)
Thanx guys, found a quik ratio nine elebin model with a gare own tee, fer 1 franklin. huh.gif

quick ratio for 1 ben?

sure its a quick ratio?
Marv's3.6six
Have not seen it yet, but its 'sposed to be, its pre owned.
Aaron Cox
no offense... but call me skeptical.

if it is, you win big time!
914werke
interesting idea.gif
Again slight Hijack gut the rack pictured in the 1st link is the mystery rack I pulled off a 76 teener. In the link its claimbed to come off a 79 tail dragger... its different because it has two service covers?
airsix
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 9 2006, 10:55 PM)
no offense... but call me skeptical.

if it is, you win big time!

No, not "big time". It's "BIG TIME". If the deal is real you have quite a find.
-Ben M.
SLITS
QUOTE (Marv's3.6six @ Jan 9 2006, 11:07 PM)

Have you got the part number? If so, post it please!
Marv's3.6six
Dubble A was right it aint no quik rack............was a good deal though got a perfect brand new lookin 930 rack for 1 Ben. Its supposedly a faster ratio then the 914?
914werke
Ok so aside from counting revoutions of the shaft is there an exterior or stamped Id that will tell you what the lock to lock ratio is of your rack.
Whats the stock supposed to be?
Is it the same for all 914 & early 911?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.