Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sway bar/ drop links?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sk8kat1
alright guys I don't have the room to really move around to get the car up to check underneath it so I am looking for an opinion before I go off and buy parts -- I found some magnetic racing nubers on the under side of the hood so I think they may have already made the upgrade

do you think ( based on the ride hieght shown here that the privious owner has added sway bars and the drop links?

front :

sk8kat1
and here's the rear bootyshake.gif

it seems pretty stiff .. what do you think low because of springs or sag from old worn out springs...

Jeroen
swaybars/droplinks don't do anything to your rideheight
turn the steering wheel all the way left/right so you can peek behind the front wheels
sk8kat1
front:
sk8kat1
then what would make this sit this low .. and then what exactly do the drop links that I see with the sway bars do ? confused24.gif
seanery
droplinks connect the sway bar with the control arms. Ride height (in the front) is adjusted via the torsion bar adjusters. Jeroen told you the easy way to see if you have a front sway bar.
sk8kat1
ahh ... so is my car truly sitting lower than stock... sorry my first 914 so a little unsure the starting point for some things .

thanks for the help guys smile.gif
sk8kat1
if privious owners did in fact race it .. is there things I should look for to be sure that might have failed due to the racing..

again .. found magnetic #s under the hood bmw brake upgrade , 19mm master .... it does have the sway bar ... it appears to have been lowered ..... bursh exhaust .. engine appears to be stock though ...
Eric_Shea
is there things I should look for to be sure that might have failed due to the racing..

Not really. Normal wear and tear things can go a bit faster than usual but:

T4's are pretty strong engines.

901 are still fairly strong Porsche transmissions (yes, there's stronger 915's, 916's etc. don't knit-pick in the context of the post). You might look for accelerated syncro wear...

The front suspension is basically a 911 front end. Check for worn bushings (suspension and sway bars) and worn wheel bearings. Check the shocks for wear. With a 19mm M/C, a different brake package and an anti sway-bar, I'd bet the shocks have been upgraded. Bounce test and drive it around.

Rear suspension same. Bushings, wheel bearings, shocks.

The only thing I can think of that would excessively wear due to the racing is the tires wink.gif
sk8kat1
thanks for the info again guys
sk8kat1
I guess I am still wondering is this car by looking at those pics sitting at a stock ride height or is it lower as i suspect?
seanery
I would say that it's lower, but not crazy low. What size are your tires?
user posted image
sk8kat1
tires are 195/50/15
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.