Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Checking spring rate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
I set the spring with a metal plate on it next to a wall. I made a mark on the wall at the top of the plate. I added 25 lbs, 50 lbs, and 230 lbs (me), and marked the wall accordingly. I then did the math to calculate pounds per inch, and I get around 120 lbs per inch. (for example, it deflected 1.9 inches when I stood on it)

All the measurements started with a nearly completely unloaded spring, which is not the situation it will see in a car. Is the spring effect linear, or do I need to install them in a 914 and see how much it dips when I jump in the rear trunk?
SirAndy
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 8 2006, 07:17 PM)
or do I need to install them in a 914 and see how much it dips when I jump in the rear trunk?

find someone with a spring tester ...

rich at HPH has one ...
biggrin.gif Andy
bondo
icon_bump.gif

Can anyone at least tell me if I'm way off? Or suggest a closer spring tester? smile.gif
Borderline
That's the principle. You should be in the ball park. Make sure the spring is linear...All the coil spacing is the same distance when unloaded. I have a set of springs with 3 coils that are wound very close and actually go solid when installed in the car. That changes the rate. I think they did that so the spring wouldn't fall loose when the car was jacked up as it often is. Good luck. biggrin.gif

Bill
bondo
QUOTE (Borderline @ Jan 9 2006, 09:09 AM)
That's the principle. You should be in the ball park. Make sure the spring is linear...All the coil spacing is the same distance when unloaded. I have a set of springs with 3 coils that are wound very close and actually go solid when installed in the car. That changes the rate. I think they did that so the spring wouldn't fall loose when the car was jacked up as it often is. Good luck. biggrin.gif

Bill

The coil spacing is even. I was expecting 180, which is why I ask.
Aaron Cox
my afco coils say they are tested this way:

compress spring one inch. now measure how much it takes to deflect the second inch.....
bondo
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 9 2006, 09:35 AM)
my afco coils say they are tested this way:

compress spring one inch. now measure how much it takes to deflect the second inch.....

Aha! Ok, I'll try that. Thanks!
ppickerell
Aaron is right. Get the spring under some load at somewhere around 15% of the available travel. Record the load value(L1). Deflect one inch and record the load (L2). Subtract Load 1 from load 2 and multiply by 10. You don't want to measure rate in the first 15 or last 15% of available travel.
bondo
QUOTE (ppickerell @ Jan 9 2006, 10:29 AM)
Aaron is right. Get the spring under some load at somewhere around 15% of the available travel. Record the load value(L1). Deflect one inch and record the load (L2). Subtract Load 1 from load 2 and multiply by 10. You don't want to measure rate in the first 15 or last 15% of available travel.

Why multiply by 10?
blitZ
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 9 2006, 09:38 AM)
QUOTE (ppickerell @ Jan 9 2006, 10:29 AM)

Why multiply by 10?

It's a 10 inch spring?
ppickerell
Ooops, My bad, the springs I make are so f'in small we travel them .100 inches and multiply by 10!
bondo
Ok, I tried it with more weight. I added weight in 50 pound increments, up to 300 lbs. I got more than 2" of compression. It looks like it's pretty linear.. I even graphed it. These are supposed to be 180 lb springs, what do you guys think?

Mueller
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 17 2006, 03:17 PM)
what do you guys think?

besides the fact that you are a geek??? smile.gif

looks like you are on the right track....

my method (I am not an artist)

bondo
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 17 2006, 03:31 PM)
what do you guys think?

I have a pic to post when I get home.. You WILL laugh. That is what I did, but it wasn't nearly as elegant.

Besides my geekiness, doesn't it look more like a 120-130 lb spring than a 180?
Mueller
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 17 2006, 03:53 PM)
what do you guys think?

I have a pic to post when I get home.. You WILL laugh. That is what I did, but it wasn't nearly as elegant.

when I tested my springs ( a few different pairs), it seemed that with the correct amount of weight applied, the spring actually compressed a "tad" (1/4" or so) more than 180/1" or 360/2"

bondo
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 17 2006, 03:57 PM)
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 17 2006, 03:53 PM)
what do you guys think?

when I tested my springs ( a few different pairs), it seemed that with the correct amount of weight applied, the spring actually compressed a "tad" (1/4" or so) more than 180/1" or 360/2"

Hmm, 1/4" would put it right in the 180 lb ballpark. Why would 180 lbs per inch really be 180 lb per 1.25 inch?
bondo
I think I may have figured out where the 1/4" comes from.. one of the things you do when calculating spring rate is count the "free coils". Setting the spring on something flat gives it more free coils than when the top and bottom most coils are more supported by the spring saddle and hat. If I can figure out a way to do it, I'll try again using the spring saddle and hat.
bondo
Ok, here's the pic.. this is 300 lbs. Half the pipe is pounded into the ground. smile.gif
bondo
Ok, I measured the spring and used this formula to calculate the theoretical spring rate. (theoretical because not all alloys that are used for springs are the same) It comes out to 160 lb/inch. It also can't be exactly accurate because I measured the paint, which has some thickness.

Of course I'm not the type to be satisfied by math.. so I rounded up a spring tester.. of sorts. The displacement accuracy is .001.. the force accuracy is 1%. This is the sort of thing that satisfies me. happy11.gif

bondo
Here is the graph of the data. (I did the graph a little differently this time.. makes more sense this way.. displacement vs. force) I tested both springs, as a double check. There's no way around it, this is a 140 lb spring.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.